PDA

View Full Version : 91/30 Big 5 rifles....ON SALE!

Rabidmonkey777
04-01-2010, 4:00 PM
Just picked up a very good condition 91/30 at Big 5 with matching numbers, good bright bore and nice furniture for 99 dollars. I am super pumped. Now I just have to wait 10 days and pick up some cheap ammo.

UPDATE
Picked her up yesterday, and cleaned the cosmoline off as well. The stock is good, but the finish is flaking off. It comes off very easily on your hand. I think I will re-finish the stock. It is a 1939 "izzy". I don't think it was counter bored.

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p62/Rabidmonkey777/KTOG/newmosin.jpg
You can see where the finish is coming off on the front left handguard. It gets everywhere.
http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p62/Rabidmonkey777/KTOG/DSCN1311.jpg

Can you tell if its counter bored from this pic?
http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p62/Rabidmonkey777/KTOG/DSCN1307.jpg

Rem222
04-01-2010, 4:13 PM
Congratulations on the Mosin.... We expect to see some pictures in 10 days..

dskell
04-01-2010, 4:24 PM
$99 dollars out the door?! Did you use one of those 10% off coupons as well?

Flogger23m
04-01-2010, 4:26 PM
$99 dollars out the door?! Did you use one of those 10% off coupons as well?

No, $100. $25 for DROS, then tax. A gun lock if you don't have a safe.

$134 or so out the door.

Rabidmonkey777
04-01-2010, 4:26 PM
No, I didn't use a 10% coupon. But the sale price was $99 and with tax it came to 107.42. Obligatory pics will be posted when I can get it out of gun jail. I plan on doing a little before and after thing with it as well. Yah I have a safe, so really Im paying for the rifle and the DROS fee.

I'm going to refinish it the way Old Painless did on Box o truth. Should be a good project.

RawImpact
04-01-2010, 4:29 PM
With the 10% you can get it for 100 + dros.

Solid deal if you know what to look for and bring some go and nogo gauges.

Stryfe76
04-01-2010, 7:05 PM
Where the best place to get the coin style go no-go guages?

GDM
04-01-2010, 8:52 PM
Midway USA or Brownell's

Barabas
04-01-2010, 9:04 PM
I've never seen a Big5 mosin with headspace issues. I'm pretty sure Century makes sure none leave their billboard factory that might end up a liability. They didn't actually build these ones, after all.

Tenamaxtle
04-01-2010, 9:09 PM
Will they honor a C&R license?

xdanxx
04-01-2010, 10:10 PM

nah. they make you dros no matter what.

bgelectrician
04-02-2010, 7:10 AM
They do honor C&R license! That with a COE you still draw up the DROS but you get it that day.

Falstaff
04-02-2010, 10:21 AM
I gotta Hex receiver (whatever that means, the salesguy said it was more rare than the round-I dunno) one yesterday, used the 10% coupon and was OTD at 121.

It looks in remarkably nice shape and comes with sling, oil cans, cleaning kit bayonet. I can't wait to try mine out.

indyjrt
04-02-2010, 11:23 AM
So tell me this, I'm a noob I go into Big 5 look at the rifle how reliable are the sales people that work there as far as their knowledge of the rifles, because I have no clue what to look for. When you guys talk about "headspace" my head spins...

SixPointEight
04-02-2010, 12:27 PM
So tell me this, I'm a noob I go into Big 5 look at the rifle how reliable are the sales people that work there as far as their knowledge of the rifles, because I have no clue what to look for. When you guys talk about "headspace" my head spins...

Headspace must be checked with a guage, can't just look and see. As far as counterbore, you'll want to look down the barrel from the dangerous end, if you look down, and about 1-1.5" down the bore is smaller than the opening, then it's been counter bored. Look at the metal pieces, the butt plate, the bolt, the reciever, the base of the magazine and look for matching numbers etc

Alexjr1967
04-02-2010, 3:22 PM

thats hit or miss ... it varies from store to store ... and how knowledgable the person is behind the counter is....

Milsurp Collector
04-02-2010, 3:29 PM
We often see these old gun ads from the 1960s and wish we had a time machine so we could load up on stuff when it was cheap in the "good old days":

http://i625.photobucket.com/albums/tt337/milsurp_collector/oldGunAds/59d6355e.jpg

When you adjust for inflation, a Mosin Nagant that is priced at $99 today would have cost $15 in 1965, similar to the prices on those "cheap guns" in the "good old days". In other words, buying a Mosin Nagant for $99 today is as much of a bargain as getting one for $15 in the "good old days".

Same thing with a CMP Garand: a $600 Service Grade today would have been priced at $89 in 1965, just ten 1965 dollars more than the price in that old ad.

Some day you'll tell your grandchildren that you could have bought a Mosin Nagant for $99 and a Garand for $600, and they'll say wish they had been around in the good old days of 2010. ;)

Falstaff
04-03-2010, 5:57 PM
I really miss the Good ole days (early 90's) when I had my FFL and was able to go to that dealer only wherehouse in Sacramento off of J street. They about 10,000 square feet with rifles stacked like cordwood-literally! They'd have 55 gallon drums FULL of broomhandle Mausers, they'd have giant VATS of 9mm Israeli surp ammo (with Sinai sand mixed in!) you would literally shovel it into 5 gallon buckets and pay by the pound!

magazines so cheap they were almost disposable.. (M16 20 rounders I think we paid less that $4.00 once) Then they'd have CRAZY stuff in there like "Boyds" (<sic>??) antitank rifles which were HUMONGUS things, Oh and all the hastily disassembled assault rifle parts kits were cool too (G3's, FALS, Uzi's, Cetmes,

bigwhitetruck
04-04-2010, 12:35 AM
I really miss the Good ole days (early 90's) when I had my FFL and was able to go to that dealer only wherehouse in Sacramento off of J street. They about 10,000 square feet with rifles stacked like cordwood-literally! They'd have 55 gallon drums FULL of broomhandle Mausers, they'd have giant VATS of 9mm Israeli surp ammo (with Sinai sand mixed in!) you would literally shovel it into 5 gallon buckets and pay by the pound!

magazines so cheap they were almost disposable.. (M16 20 rounders I think we paid less that $4.00 once) Then they'd have CRAZY stuff in there like "Boyds" (??) antitank rifles which were HUMONGUS things, Oh and all the hastily disassembled assault rifle parts kits were cool too (G3's, FALS, Uzi's, Cetmes,

What is this place that you speak of? And what ever happened to it?

Barabas
04-04-2010, 2:02 PM
Is that the same company as The Dealer Warehouse in Modesto? http://www.tdwsales.com/

There used to be a place very similar to what you describe in West Sacramento, but they disappeared a few years ago.

Air
04-04-2010, 2:46 PM
30 bucks for a Swedish Mauser, jeez.

pullnshoot25
04-04-2010, 4:06 PM
Sales guys at big 5 are usually dorks from the shoe department. I actually go into big 5 from time to time to check their knowledge and most don't know a Mosin from a Magtech.

bigwhitetruck
04-04-2010, 4:08 PM
Is that the same company as The Dealer Warehouse in Modesto? http://www.tdwsales.com/

There used to be a place very similar to what you describe in West Sacramento, but they disappeared a few years ago.

I think the place in West Sac. is back in business: http://www.thedealershowroom.com/page/page/1222170.htm.

Barabas
04-04-2010, 4:14 PM
That's who I was thinking of. They're in Klamath Falls now.

bigthaiboy
04-04-2010, 10:06 PM
thats hit or miss ... it varies from store to store ... and how knowledgable the person is behind the counter is....

Bad advice. The guy behind the counter would have to be completely clueless to accept a C&R license in CA. All C&R long gun and handgun sales through a CA FFL01 / 02 dealer has to be DROS'ed, regardless. It's California law.

SanPedroShooter
04-04-2010, 10:11 PM
"When you adjust for inflation, a Mosin Nagant that is priced at $99 today would have cost $15 in 1965, similar to the prices on those "cheap guns" in the "good old days". In other words, buying a Mosin Nagant for $99 today is as much of a bargain as getting one for $15 in the "good old days".

Same thing with a CMP Garand: a $600 Service Grade today would have been priced at $89 in 1965, just ten 1965 dollars more than the price in that old ad.

Some day you'll tell your grandchildren that you could have bought a Mosin Nagant for $99 and a Garand for $600, and they'll say wish they had been around in the good old days of 2010."

This is an excellent point. Both of these guns are on my "to buy" list, and from the same sources too. Its really pretty encouraging. Have you noticed that with all the bs laws that get passed, they never mess with c&r?

By the way, they have some mosin carbine length rifles at the big five in pedro, is this just a shorter version of the original? Which one is better, or is it just personal choice? I belive the carbine costs more.

Etoshan
04-04-2010, 10:14 PM
No, $100. $25 for DROS, then tax. A gun lock if you don't have a safe.

$134 or so out the door.

Does the corporation (fiction) known as "THE STATE OF CALIFORNIA" make you prove that you have a safe?
If so...How?

Etoshan
04-04-2010, 10:17 PM
How many posts does one have to make before they stop calling you "junior"?

tmncali
04-04-2010, 10:19 PM
Does the corporation (fiction) known as "THE STATE OF CALIFORNIA" make you prove that you have a safe?
If so...How?

You fill out a form with the make and model of your safe, then sign it.

Etoshan
04-04-2010, 10:22 PM

Hahahahaha.........Do you need to have it notarized?

Thanks

Brendan Sullivan
04-04-2010, 10:23 PM
As far as counterbore, you'll want to look down the barrel from the dangerous end, if you look down, and about 1-1.5" down the bore is smaller than the opening, then it's been counter bored.

For the love of all that is holy, do not go into Big 5, pick up a rifle, and point it at your face. Not something that would occur to those of us newer to the scene. I won't get into how dangerous it is or isn't, but it's not the sort of thing we need anti-gunners blogging about.

Do give the weapon a thorough once-over and check the state of furniture, action, fit, ensure the magazine locks solidly -- seen a few spill rounds on the ground the second they're fired. Bring a mirror and small light and you can check the chamber, rifling and inside the muzzle.

rromeo
04-04-2010, 10:30 PM
If so...How?

That has always struck me as funny. You must present a receipt that shows you bought an approved $10 lock within the past 30 days, but they take your word for it if you sign a paper stating that you own a $1,000 safe.

bigthaiboy
04-04-2010, 10:40 PM
How many posts does one have to make before they stop calling you "junior"?

I think it's 100.

Hahahahaha.........Do you need to have it notarized?

Thanks

No, but you subject to penalty of perjury if you are lying about the safe affidavit. Just pay the $6 for a lock and take it back for a refund at a later time.

pullnshoot25
04-05-2010, 8:03 AM
Why dont you guys get a c&r license and not worry about crappy prices and safe requirements?

Rabidmonkey777
04-14-2010, 4:40 PM
Here is a BUMP for pictures, and I just sent off all of my C&R Forms yesterday :)

hypnoman
04-17-2010, 12:14 AM
Congrats! I love these things! The front left stock finish is coming off because of the cheap lacquer job, but a good cleaning and refinish will bring it back to life. From your pics, looks like it is counter bored. But you can verify quickly with calipers: set them at .315 or .316 and see if they fit loosely. Or just dip a 7.62x54r (.311) bullet into the muzzle and see if you can wiggle. If you got room, it's been counter bored. (Don't use a 7.62x51 nato it has a .308 bullet)

But no worries on counter bores. It only goes in a little to restore the crown. You still have plenty of barrel to shoot accurately if your barrel matches your bullets!

Enjoy!!

jr916
04-19-2010, 3:00 AM
Just some input from my experience with Big Five Mosins... my 91/30 is from their store in Ventura, and ALL the rifles I looked at had bright shiny bores, strong rifling, and most had nice stocks. I checked my headspace and it's just fine, for whatever that's worth. I think most of them at Big Five have matching numbers from the arsenal refurbishment... didn't they check headspace when refurbishing them?

Falstaff
04-19-2010, 12:12 PM
if the crown on the end of the barrel is bright, un-blued raw steel, does that mean it was counter bored? I bought a couple mosies recently and both have that condition. I dont see a lip inside the bore where the rifling may have been removed by a couner bore, but even with a flaslight I think my eyes could be missing something. Why else would the blueing be completely gone from the barrel crowns?

hypnoman
04-19-2010, 7:38 PM
Counter bored MN's are actually easy to spot if you have the right tool. 2 of mine are counter bored and I can actually slide a 11/32 drill bit in one and 23/64 in another (butt end off course) about 1 inch in. A comparably sized wooden dowel would be safer! No problems with these counter bored rifles. These grouped superbly compared to my m44 with a mirror shiny bore sized for .314! Hope this helps

wsmc27
05-17-2010, 9:28 PM
Good info, thank you. :)

Am heading to Big 5 soon as 91/30's are on sale again.

Stryfe76
05-18-2010, 11:15 PM
Good info, thank you. :)

Am heading to Big 5 soon as 91/30's are on sale again.

Time to head to Big 5!!!

http://big5sportinggoods.shoplocal.com/big5/Default.aspx?action=browsepagedetail&storeid=2503823&rapid=894604&listingid=-2087075851&pretailerid=-98565

winnre
05-18-2010, 11:21 PM
Got mine for $74.99 plus DROS using the coupon last Saturday. Tula hex.

I may go get another one, or two!

16in50calNavalRifle
05-19-2010, 12:13 AM
Dumb question, winnre - where did you get the coupon? I've looked at the online ads on Big 5, haven't yet found any coupons.

gorblimey
05-19-2010, 1:24 AM
"When you adjust for inflation, a Mosin Nagant that is priced at $99 today would have cost $15 in 1965, similar to the prices on those "cheap guns" in the "good old days". In other words, buying a Mosin Nagant for $99 today is as much of a bargain as getting one for $15 in the "good old days".

Some day you'll tell your grandchildren that you could have bought a Mosin Nagant for $99 and a Garand for $600, and they'll say wish they had been around in the good old days of 2010."

This is an excellent point. Both of these guns are on my "to buy" list, and from the same sources too. Its really pretty encouraging. Have you noticed that with all the bs laws that get passed, they never mess with c&r?

By the way, they have some mosin carbine length rifles at the big five in pedro, is this just a shorter version of the original? Which one is better, or is it just personal choice? I belive the carbine costs more.

Just keep in mind that the CPI is a synthetic lie, substantially understating inflation. These numbers are much more interesting:

http://www.shadowstats.com/

maxwellca21
05-19-2010, 1:47 AM
I gotta Hex receiver (whatever that means, the salesguy said it was more rare than the round-I dunno) one yesterday, used the 10% coupon and was OTD at 121.

It looks in remarkably nice shape and comes with sling, oil cans, cleaning kit bayonet. I can't wait to try mine out.

nice...your lucky.

Dr.Mauser
05-19-2010, 10:07 AM
for the coupons, I ALWAYS look in the sunday paper at the Big 5 adds, I bought 2 of the 5 Mosin's I've owned at Big 5 one of them ended up being a 1935 Izzy

wsmc27
05-19-2010, 11:54 AM
Dumb question, winnre - where did you get the coupon? I've looked at the online ads on Big 5, haven't yet found any coupons.

Here ya go...

http://www.bloodydecks.com/big5promo/

glennsche
05-19-2010, 12:15 PM

they're not as politically a hot button. When was the last time you heard about little Timmy accidently shooting himself with a garand? or him taking his dads mosin to school and accidently shooting his friend at recess? Or a drive by gang bang shooting with an ariska? We're under the radar of the banninators because we're a buncha hyper collecting freaks who let a fly poop on our guns much less let them get used in crimes; we tend to be reclusive, nocturnal, and only come out to forage for food, so people dont notice our hobby. Lets hope it stays that way!

Yes, the carbine you're referring to is either the m38 or the m44. if it had the bayonet affixed to the side that folds out, its an m44. If you're starting out with mosins, the carbines are kind of a bear because they kick hard and are louder than a drunk texan with an opinion. Read about them on world.guns.ru under "military rifles", or just search http://7.62x54r.net/

Bad advice. The guy behind the counter would have to be completely clueless to accept a C&R license in CA. All C&R long gun and handgun sales through a CA FFL01 / 02 dealer has to be DROS'ed, regardless. It's California law.

Unless the guns are the shopkeeper's, then you can buy from a gunstore same day with a C&R. Big5 i dont think you can, but i bought a k31 on sight and walked out with it from a gunshop in CA because it was "his". So if you wanna do same day take home, i guess you have to do it from mom and pop gunstores.

Where the best place to get the coin style go no-go guages?

they come with the big5s and most "store bought" mosins, along with the bayonet and pouch.

glennsche
05-19-2010, 12:23 PM
you guys who want to get your C&R on and get started with a mosin:

great idea to start with mosins. Its like learning to drive stick with a civic; you should learn the basics with a basic rifle and then you'll appreciate the sweetness that is the other bolt actions all the more when you upgrade to em.

to get one though, just go to a gun show and get one face to face! take it home the same day.

Low-Pressure
05-19-2010, 4:37 PM
Ok, newbie question here. I just got back from Big 5, and looked at a mosin. Here's my question, is a counter bore good or a bad thing? The one I looked at didn't have a counter bore buy the stock was chipped in different places.
I'm really debating about getting one. Because I thought I was set on getting a K31.
thanks

Dr.Mauser
05-20-2010, 10:28 AM
Mosins are fun and having chips adds character, but if you want a K31 save a wee bit more and get both

glennsche
05-20-2010, 2:11 PM
Ok, newbie question here. I just got back from Big 5, and looked at a mosin. Here's my question, is a counter bore good or a bad thing? The one I looked at didn't have a counter bore buy the stock was chipped in different places.
I'm really debating about getting one. Because I thought I was set on getting a K31.
thanks

the K31s are the Porsche 911s of Bolt actions; super accurate, awesome triggers, super quality. Mosins are toyota camrys. You can learn to drive in a camry and then learn to drive a 911, but if you start in the 911 you'll never like the camry.

the downside to the k31 is ammo prices, its not inexpensive to shoot (though certainly not that bad either).

if youre gonna start a big ol collection, learn on the mosin and work your way up. if you're just gonna get one or two bolt action C&Rs, get a K31 and K98.

winnre
05-20-2010, 2:19 PM

Bloody decks.com has them, but also check at retailmenot.com

smog7
05-20-2010, 4:47 PM
so counter bore> non counter bore?

Flyin Brian
05-20-2010, 10:16 PM
so counter bore> non counter bore?

Some collectors freak out and would never own a counter bored rifle, some people (like me) don't really care since it's something done at armory level to restore accuracy to a rifle with a damaged crown or excessive bore wear at the muzzle.

I'd much rather have a counter bored rifle than one that needs to be counter bored :cool:

Low-Pressure
05-20-2010, 10:20 PM
the K31s are the Porsche 911s of Bolt actions; super accurate, awesome triggers, super quality. Mosins are toyota camrys. You can learn to drive in a camry and then learn to drive a 911, but if you start in the 911 you'll never like the camry.

the downside to the k31 is ammo prices, its not inexpensive to shoot (though certainly not that bad either).

if youre gonna start a big ol collection, learn on the mosin and work your way up. if you're just gonna get one or two bolt action C&Rs, get a K31 and K98.

thanks, I might just have to save up for a K31..... what is the average price of a decent K31? There is one on the marketplace for $300... just wondering if that's a good price:)