PDA

View Full Version : Basic gun smithing

chiseenchinaman
04-01-2010, 12:04 PM
Hey guys I got almost all my parts for my upper and I was wondering if I was to drop by tomorrow if you guy could torque down and line up the barrel nut for me then check the head spaceing. Thanks!

shark92651
04-02-2010, 8:36 AM
Sure, unless we are slammed busy we should be able to do that for you.

chiseenchinaman
04-04-2010, 1:56 AM
yeah... wish you guys told me that you had 6 guns to work on and that takes you guys 45 mins to tighten a barrel nut over the phone so that i didn't waste my time.

shark92651
04-04-2010, 8:46 AM
It does not take 45 minutes to tighten a barrel nut, but like I said earlier unless we are very busy we can usually do it while you wait. Did someone tell you it takes 45 minutes to tighten a barrel nut or did they tell you it would take about 45 minutes before we could get it done for you?

It is pretty much impossible for me to know if we will be too busy to do a "while you wait" gun smithing task until someone walks in the door. If we get very busy with customers up front then we usually have to pull the person doing the work back up front to help out. Also, not everybody that works at RifleGear is experienced enough to do our gun smithing so some days it's just not good timing. I'm sorry if you felt your time was wasted.

chiseenchinaman
04-04-2010, 11:21 AM
yeah, the guy took my gun to the back for 10minutes, came back and said it would take at least 45 minutes.

don't get my wrong though, you guys are great. fair prices and and good personalities was what made me very comfortable about using your services and spending $400+ in parts. i just wish the person on the phone was aware of the que of guns that needed work on first thing in the morning. that was the thing that annoyed me since i was counting on you guys.

JaeOne3345
04-04-2010, 10:09 PM
Just leave it over night. The times they have done smith work for me it took no more than 24 hours. They are good guys.

There are other places in southern california who would have told you a week. Trust me.

fcr
04-06-2010, 8:31 AM
It is time for you to get a Gunsmith, at your new location it is a must. I am looking here in SD and it is not really happening.

Riflegear
04-06-2010, 11:29 AM
Hey Chise... we're really sorry it took so long. Normally we don't do installations while you wait. We may do so by judging how busy it is in the store at the time. What often happens with these installations is that because of variations in different builds, unanticipated difficulties will emerge. We've had 20 minute jobs turn into 2 hour jobs before. That said, we hope you'll be patient with us with these installs. Some guns have little surprises in them that delay the completion of the work, but we'd rather get it done right then rush to get it done in time. For the most part, plan on leaving your parts at least overnight. We'll get it done.

chiseenchinaman
04-07-2010, 11:52 PM
If you don't do installs as people wait then don't tell people that you can do it (even if you're not busy with other guns) as they wait over the phone. You end up with loyal costumers going in happy to see you and leaving disappointed and sometimes never coming back.

PTK-SoCal
04-08-2010, 10:21 AM
I'm going to have to say this...

Chise, stop being a whiny little boy.

The guys at Riflegear can't possibly anticipate the flow of customers at every given day or hour. They give the best service they can and sometimes the small shop gets packed with people.

Grow up, you're a big boy now!

fcr
04-08-2010, 11:15 AM
Chise, If you choose to go else where because of that you are cuting off your nose to spite your face. There is no perfect situation and the one at rifle gear is not exempt. They do what they can to keep people happy. If you want attitude there are other places to go to. I have waited there for things and they told me that it was to be done yet it wasn't, the difference being they bent over backwards to please me. Not many places will do that.

taloft
04-08-2010, 11:18 AM
You had the option to walk when you were told 45 mins. yet, you stayed and let them complete the work. I really don't see why you're complaining. You were told the score from the start.

Sure, unless we are slammed busy we should be able to do that for you. Sound familiar? You should have planned for the eventuality that the work might take a bit longer than anticipated. Besides, I'd rather have it done right than done quickly. Even though they were upfront with you, they still were gracious enough to apologize about the wait time. Yet, you continued to gripe in your next post. I'd have gone to lunch and come back later.

I don't know if you realize it but, most Gunsmiths would have your rifle for quite a bit longer. Many times the wait time is in months, not minutes. If my Smith told me under an hour I'd be dancing for joy.:mnl:

chiseenchinaman
04-08-2010, 9:55 PM
haha you guys are too funny. I'm not bashing on Riflegear. Like i said before, "you guys are great. fair prices and and good personalities was what made me very comfortable about using your services and spending $400+ in parts." I didn't said that they suck, or they're unfair because they don't and aren't.

I just wish the person on the phone the evening before was aware of the que of guns that needed work on first thing in the morning before telling me that they could do it. Thats all. The store was not slammed with people. The guy working on the guns was and i'm assuming that the guy on the phone didn't know that.

Holy hell fanboys that don't know the full story, chill out, no store is perfect. But bringing up stories like this will bring them one step closer to providing even better service then they already have.

Toast
05-17-2010, 10:28 PM
How much do you guys charge to tighten on a barrel nut? Also can you permanently attach a muzzle device? If so, how much would that be? Hopefully I'll get my barrel in this week and I could drop the parts off this weekend ish.

shark92651
05-18-2010, 7:13 AM
If its just tightening a barrel nut, i.e. not taking anything apart, then we can just do that for you gratis - but if it involves an upper build or rebuild then it would be $35, which would cover rail installation, front sight removal/replace, etc...

To pin/weld a muzzle device we charge $35