PDA

View Full Version : Interest in guns/shooting

ab-man
04-01-2010, 9:48 AM
Hello ladies,

I was trying to get an idea as to what got you all interested in guns and into shooting. Was it something or someone who turned you onto it or was it something y'all picked up as time went on. Thanks in advance for your input.

NorCalMama
04-01-2010, 3:35 PM
For me, it was my husband. He's been into guns forever, but when we first got married I couldn't have cared less. lol, all I knew was they were loud. So yeah. But for some reason, once he got onto Calguns, I took an interest. I began looking around on here and started thinking about what I wanted. I rented a G19 and was in heaven instantly! So in November I got my OD 19 and now I'm buidling my first AR 15 and plan on getting a G34 next. It's an addicting thing getting into shooting and firearms, but it's wonderful! :D

imtheomegaman
04-01-2010, 4:01 PM
Los Angeles Riots turned me from anti to pro real quick

Steyrlp10
04-01-2010, 4:49 PM
In my former life, there were guns in the house, but I was clueless about whether they were loaded or not. I was also clueless about the difference between revolvers and semis.

I made a point to go to the range to figure things out. I didn't want to be another character from a slasher film, running down the hall, screaming, falling down, and unable to take care of business. (I still believe Jason inhabits all camping grounds!)

Now, I live on Calguns ;)

ab-man
04-01-2010, 11:08 PM
Thanks for your feedback on this, I got really curious when I saw so many ladies on here and loving it. Most of the women I know are hell bent against guns and want nothing to do with them. I have always believed and been an advocate for gun education rather than gun avoidence. It's nice to see you ladies enjoying your guns, go calguns.

Steyrlp10
04-02-2010, 9:07 AM
Thanks for your feedback on this, I got really curious when I saw so many ladies on here and loving it. Most of the women I know are hell bent against guns and want nothing to do with them. I have always believed and been an advocate for gun education rather than gun avoidence. It's nice to see you ladies enjoying your guns, go calguns.

You're welcome -- it's one of the most FAQ on here.

As for the women you know who are anti-... well, that's what we're trying to work on at Calguns -- to proactively show them that it's not an evil thing. I think a lot of the fear and dislike comes from "not knowing." It may also be the company they're in when they're first exposed to a firearm.

Personally, I wouldn't want to be surrounded by chaos if I was trying to learn something new.

Anyhow, you should come visit us gals at the gun show booth :)

Sajedene
04-02-2010, 9:40 AM
When I was younger, my dad had a nice revolver that he would clean and he would let me watch him clean it and he would talk about respecting it and how it was not a toy. Then when I was about seven my mom took me to the range to shoot rifles with her.

There was a long void of nothing after that then I started getting into video games (first person shooters) and that rekindled it and here I am!

OliveCookieMonsta
04-02-2010, 11:18 AM
I've actually been curious since a teen however no one ever showed me until an ex. He taught me a lot, ... Which created a greater curiousity in competition and more trips to the range.

ab-man
04-02-2010, 6:55 PM
Steyrip10, I am looking forward to it. When/where are the post about the booths?

Steyrlp10
04-03-2010, 10:34 PM
Steyrip10, I am looking forward to it. When/where are the post about the booths?

If you look in the Community section of the site on the home page and scroll down, you'll see where each chapter is having its gun show booth.

NorCalMama, OliveCookie, and myself will be helping with the Vallejo show in June. I'll also be helping at the Cow Palace in May. The last I heard, Angie, I believe, is helping with the booth in Southern CA.

Hope you can visit one of those Calguns booths!

katokat
04-11-2010, 9:03 PM
I shot a 45 a few times when I was in the reserves. My husband had a 9mm in the house, but I never really thought about shooting again until we had a prowler try to get in one night. I figured I needed to get comfortable and safe with it. One thing led to another and my husband got really into shooting and IDPA, and now I shoot a couple times a month (not nearly as much as him). Got my second gun recently, and we now have a very large gun safe, and we should have gotten a bigger one....

six10
04-29-2010, 2:04 AM
We never had guns in my family. Last year, a thug broke into my house while I was home. I didn't have a gun.

I do now.