PDA

View Full Version : Wool pants

77bawls
04-01-2010, 7:25 AM
I was thinking about getting some. IIRC they are Columbia and they are a snow camo. Who has wool pants and what do you like and dislike about them? I'm going to do a little snow camping and I only have blue jeans. I was looking for something a little warmer.

Jason762
04-01-2010, 7:37 AM
I really like my Swedish army wool pants. http://www.militarysupplyhouse.com/pantsf7.htm

http://www.militarysupplyhouse.com/images/pants/foreign/swedish_wool_pant.jpg

I bought these at a surplus store in Alaska and wore it though some pretty bitter days. Once I wore my Carhartt jeans, and I was absolutely amazed at how much warmer my wool pants had been! I could stand outside for a ciggeratte and a bs session and only be mildily uncomfortable, but in my Carhartts I was shivering within 60 seconds of stepping out.

The only negative thing I have to say about these particular pants is that they are heavy.

professionalcoyotehunter
04-01-2010, 7:43 AM
I hate them. they are itchy and do not dry very fast. I will never wear them ever unless I am freezing and need to wear a liner outside my clothing.

Jason762
04-01-2010, 7:45 AM
I hate them. they are itchy and do not dry very fast. I will never wear them ever unless I am freezing and need to wear a liner outside my clothing.

I'd wear a pair of polypros under these on really cold days. Maybe that'd work for you and the OP (if he's sensitive to wool)?

For me, these pants are soft enough that they are comfortable for me.

professionalcoyotehunter
04-01-2010, 7:48 AM
I have lots of polypros to wear under but that would be to hot and make me sweat pretty badly and make things worse. I have tried it before when hunting in snow for bears last year and I was nothing but miserable.

77bawls
04-01-2010, 8:40 AM
The ones I'm looking at are fleece lined. They have fleece pockets too to help keep your hands warm. I can't stand wool but virgin wool isn't itchy for me.

mwunsch
04-01-2010, 8:59 AM
i absolutely love mine, they are polyester lined, and very quiet and warm. i thought they would catch all the burrs, but surprisingly they didnt at all.

i got them from sportsmans guide and they are mossy oak break w/ a waterproof lining.

pch, i didnt know you were misreable when we went for the bear- you smiled the whole time dude!

ps. ft hunter liggett this weekend for turkeys man!

professionalcoyotehunter
04-01-2010, 9:05 AM
I am happy anytime I get out hunting but I was cold as hell. Especially my feet.

Good luck out there. I am going out for the coyotes that are near the house. I have seen 5 this week.

nick
04-01-2010, 9:12 AM
Most suits are made of wool, you know.

spectr17
04-01-2010, 9:36 AM
I've got a mil surplus pair like Jason762 and love them. The only drawback to wool is it doesn't dry out very fast.

professionalcoyotehunter
04-01-2010, 9:44 AM
Most suits are made of wool, you know.

What suits? I wear cotton coveralls in the summer and polyester lined ones in the winter.

nick
04-01-2010, 9:51 AM
What suits? I wear cotton coveralls in the summer and polyester lined ones in the winter.

It's that thing your wife will make you wear for your wedding anniversary.

Jason762
04-01-2010, 9:52 AM
I have lots of polypros to wear under but that would be to hot and make me sweat pretty badly and make things worse. I have tried it before when hunting in snow for bears last year and I was nothing but miserable.

True, but California "cold" and Alaska cold are worlds apart. You don't leave home without your polypros!

I am happy anytime I get out hunting but I was cold as hell. Especially my feet.

Good luck out there. I am going out for the coyotes that are near the house. I have seen 5 this week.

This is a problem I have too due to foot sweat and footwear that didn't breathe well. I've found a sock liner-Ragg wool sock (http://www.rei.com/product/242163)-liner combination to be pretty good. Wicks moisture to the sock, and the liner outside the sock wicks moisture out of the sock.

I've done 5 mile hikes with 60 pound packs, and it helped my feet not to blister or get hotspots as bad.

I've got a mil surplus pair like Jason762 and love them. The only drawback to wool is it doesn't dry out very fast.

This is the other drawback. Heavy+doesn't dry fast= really heavy Course wool is naturally water repellent up to a point.

nick
04-01-2010, 9:52 AM

You can treat it to make it water-repellent.

Jason762
04-01-2010, 9:59 AM
You can treat it to make it water-repellent.

Wool is already water repellent. Water-proof on the other hand...

Is it do-able?

nick
04-01-2010, 10:04 AM
Sure, with a layer of nylon :p

professionalcoyotehunter
04-01-2010, 10:07 AM
True, but California "cold" and Alaska cold are worlds apart. You don't leave home without your polypros!

This is a problem I have too due to foot sweat and footwear that didn't breathe well. I've found a sock liner-Ragg wool sock (http://www.rei.com/product/242163)-liner combination to be pretty good. Wicks moisture to the sock, and the liner outside the sock wicks moisture out of the sock.

I've done 5 mile hikes with 60 pound packs, and it helped my feet not to blister or get hotspots as bad.

This is the other drawback. Heavy+doesn't dry fast= really heavy Course wool is naturally water repellent up to a point.

I do wear my polypro's just not with wool.

I dont get blisters too bad. After 22 miles on whitney my feet can handle just about anything.

professionalcoyotehunter
04-01-2010, 10:07 AM
It's that thing your wife will make you wear for your wedding anniversary.

Been married 9 years this year and have never worn a wool suit.

nick
04-01-2010, 10:09 AM
Been married 9 years this year and have never worn a wool suit.

That's because it doesn't warrant an anniversary yet. Just wait another year.

1-year anniversary, .5-year anniversary, etc. are modern inventions :)

ETA: now that I think of it, what ARE you going to wear for your anniversary?

77bawls
04-01-2010, 5:51 PM

Well I have these for my feet so they won't be getting cold.
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51C7W2VDEWL.jpg

I'm from Minnesota so I know about cold. I think Minnesota is colder than parts of Alaska due to the ocean.

mwunsch
04-01-2010, 6:39 PM
mine are nylon lined and have a waterproof treatment. Ill be wearing them this weekend at liggett.

duckman1
04-02-2010, 7:18 AM
I like wool outerwear, the down side is it absorbs moisture and doesn't dry quickly. It is quiet and will keep you alive even if it gets wet. If you hunt areas with lots of stickers riders you'll spend a lot of time deburring.

Mstnpete
04-03-2010, 8:56 PM
When I used to live in Washington state and hunt elk and deer that's what I wear. I have also worn them when I went to Warsaw, Indiana to hunt white tail. Nice and warm.

johnrunner89
04-03-2010, 11:42 PM
Some thermal long johns, a pair of sweats above and thick snow pants does the trick for me when I'm in the freezing cold.

lewdogg21
04-04-2010, 6:25 AM
thermals + wool pants = Awesome when it's cold (like out of state late season cold) and in the snow. I've donned em before in Idaho when it was below zero every night and day time highs were like 12 and colder. I have a mil surplus pair stacked away but no use for em in CA unless its a real unique situation.

I know the pants you are looking at and they look mighty warm in the store.

tpuig
04-04-2010, 1:34 PM
This my experience also. Long johns under wool in the WA/ID/Montana boonies.
I imagine that materiels get better as time goes by, but this combo still works well.

thermals + wool pants = Awesome when it's cold (like out of state late season cold) and in the snow. I've donned em before in Idaho when it was below zero every night and day time highs were like 12 and colder. I have a mil surplus pair stacked away but no use for em in CA unless its a real unique situation.

I know the pants you are looking at and they look mighty warm in the store.

Argonaut
04-04-2010, 2:11 PM
Wool is the best material for overall wear. It is cool when it needs to be....(ie, the wool garments worn in the middle east) and retains the highest percentage of insulation when wet. Cotton and polyesters retain almost none of there warming ability when wet, Wool retains something like 60-80? It is also quiet while you are moving. Check out Filson. Most professional outdoorsman were wool. A good worsted wool is smooth and not "scratchy" as well. There is a lot of new whiz bang stuff of course, some is good, but most are junk made up for marketeers to sell. Like my grandfather used to say.......Most fishing lures catch more fishermen than fish.........

Argonaut
04-04-2010, 2:14 PM
In winter survival school, We were taught to wear women's panty hose under wool outer garmets in layers......

77bawls
04-14-2010, 5:40 PM
In winter survival school, We were taught to wear women's panty hose under wool outer garmets in layers......

My coworker said he had to do that one time. He said they were actually pretty warm. The wool pants fully rocked! My legs didn't get cold once.

Abesnake
04-14-2010, 10:38 PM
Another way to take care of the itch problem is to have a seamstress line the pants with silk. That's what they do with fine suits. Jason I like the ankle straps. I guess that helps a lot to retain heat.

77bawls
04-14-2010, 10:44 PM
Yea maybe I'll take them in for a fleece liner. The msrp was $175 marked down to $120 again to $75 and I got them on clearance for another 30% off. I ended up getting them for $50.

Sh00tFurst
04-14-2010, 10:51 PM
Itchy.

Warm, but itchy.