PDA

View Full Version : mosin ammo experts... heres a question- current value and quality

weezil_boi
03-31-2010, 11:28 PM
I may have a chance to buy a lot of 7.62x54r ammo this summer.

I am a little confused on its origin, quality and value.

Here is his description ( hes an older guy and has neither a computer or a digital phone, but gave me description on the phone)...

- comes in small cardboard boxes, 15/box.
-boxes have "russian" looking writing, but has a number 15 and the word "METAK" on a white label, other words and numbers, but nothing that looks like dates. There is a 7.62MM and a M908(c) on same label.
- looks like brass cases, but really dull, not shiney he did scratch one and said it was a deep grey scratch, not shiney brass.
-ammo is not in crates or spam cans, it in several large metal boxes that his brother must have put them in since they are old food boxes or something, not ammo/gun related boxes.
- the bullets look like they are brass? (his words .. I assume he means copper?) but those too are very dull, not shiney like his "pistol bullets".
-headstamp... this is what has me kind of worried about its quality... he says that he cant make it out, not even with his fly-tying magnifier. it looks so worn down / corroded he can barely see any markings at all. He thinks he can make out small stars on some of them, but maybe they are actually a letter? the base has a red ring on it, looks like ink or some "leakage". I assume this to be primer sealer?

I first asked a fellow gunnut and he thought it could yugo ammo based on the label? But said it sounded so old and corroded that it could be russian (WW2 era?)

So, he asked around and heard of russian ammo that has been reloaded by yugos? I just find that hard to believe - that yugoslavia would take the time to reload crappy old russian ammo.

Can anyone provide some insight into the ammo's origin, quality, value and most of all... is it even safe to shoot?

Basically, he'll give me a good deal and asked me to tell him what a fair price is. I dont want to rip him off but I also dont want a trunk full of lemons ;)

Thanks in advance for any help.

Mssr. Eleganté
04-01-2010, 6:02 AM
It sounds like it might be the "repacked" Russian ammo from Yugoslavia that was available 10 years ago. This was WWII era Russian ammo that the Yugos repacked into new boxes. It had mixed headstamps, copper washed steel cases and copper washed steel jacketed bullets. If you click on the link and scroll down to "Yugoslavian" you can see an example of one with a really hard to read headstamp...

http://7.62x54r.net/MosinID/MosinAmmoIDII.htm