PDA

View Full Version : Security Six Import?

fenrir
03-31-2010, 9:49 PM
Hello all. I am a newb so be gentle.

So I am thinking of purchasing a Ruger Security Six .357 because they are cheap and reliable. However, I am getting a sinking feeling that I will not be able to buy one from out of state to be shipped to California.

Is this the case? Is there a chance that I can take advantage of an out of state price on gunbroker? Or am I going to be the next victim of the ridiculous restrictions of this great State?
If so, does anyone have a Sec Six they are willing to part with?

Any help is appreciated.

bwiese
03-31-2010, 10:12 PM
Ruger Security Sixes are not on the CA Roster of Approved Handguns.

You can really only acquire non-Rostered non-exempt handguns if
(1) they are inherited/are bequested;
(2) transferred to you from a (grand)parent/(grand)child via CA FFL;
(3) PPT'd face-to-face from a CA resident already owning one;
(4) consigned for sale at a CA gunshop.

There are probably some around here if you really desired to find one.

If you like the Security Six, you'll probably love its successor, the GP100.

GP100s are in current production, and many variations are indeed Rostered.

I'd suggest you check the Roster for exact models that are still on CA Roster.
There will likely be quite a few in CA gunshops either new or used.

halifax
04-01-2010, 4:07 AM
What Bill said. If you are in Northern CA, I know someone who is selling one.

stag1500
04-01-2010, 8:42 AM
Ruger Security Sixes are not on the CA Roster of Approved Handguns.

You can really only acquire non-Rostered non-exempt handguns if
(1) they are inherited/are bequested;
(2) transferred to you from a (grand)parent/(grand)child via CA FFL;
(3) PPT'd face-to-face from a CA resident already owning one;
(4) consigned for sale at a CA gunshop.

If somebody from out of state was visiting CA with one of those, could they walk into a gun store and do a PPT or would they have to move here first?

Also, how do you prove that somebody is your grandparent or grandchild?

Oldnoob
04-01-2010, 9:26 AM
Your best chance is to find someone locally that willing to sell it to you (PPT). I have one and love it. More so then it's successor GP100, because its half lug (and blued finish). There were small amount of GP come in half lug and blued, but I didn't have the luck to find them.

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f185/johell/My%20gun/RugerSS.jpg

Also, if you post your location and open a thread in either WTB or hand gun forum, people can keep an eye out for you.

Good luck.

bwiese
04-01-2010, 9:37 AM
If somebody from out of state was visiting CA with one of those, could they walk into a gun store and do a PPT or would they have to move here first?

The DOJ is (illegally) restricting PPTs to those with CA ID/DLs.

We'd act on that but we're better off just taking down the Roster in the first place.

Also, how do you prove that somebody is your grandparent or grandchild?

Just a signed/dated letter with adequate description of gun and relationship: "I want my [son|grandson|grandpa|etc.] Bobby to have this nice blued Colt Python revolver, with 6" barrel, serial #123456. Signed, Joe Bob Gunnie". The dealer should keep a copy with his files (i.e., stapled to the DROS copy).

Fraudulent letter generation could have bad consequences in an audit - certainly for the buyer, perhaps for the out of state supplier, and if the FFL had too many of those incidences he'd likely have "issues" too.

stag1500
04-01-2010, 12:38 PM
Does the out-of-state grandparent/parent/child have to be present in CA when the transfer is done or can they ship the handgun directly to the CA FFL along with the signed/dated letter?

bwiese
04-01-2010, 12:45 PM
Does the out-of-state grandparent/parent/child have to be present in CA when the transfer is done or can they ship the handgun directly to the CA FFL along with the signed/dated letter?

They can just ship it with the letter to a CA FFL who's up to speed on this.

Many CA FFLs are not aware that interstate lineal intrafamiliar transfers are Roster-exempt. There are several CG friendly FFLs doing this and you can check the FFL thread for one.

stag1500
04-01-2010, 12:49 PM
Thanks, Bill. That was very helpful.

Mr Wizard
04-01-2010, 7:49 PM
Now, you guys have me wondering. I have a "friend" that brought his revolver to CA when he moved here in '85. Is he in violation and how does he fix it?

bwiese
04-01-2010, 10:04 PM
Now, you guys have me wondering. I have a "friend" that brought his revolver to CA when he moved here in '85. Is he in violation and how does he fix it?

He is fine and there is no violation. Shoot it like he stole it.

Rostering issues do not apply to importation by its owner, and only come into play when an FFL sells a gun.

Your friend didn't even have to register it (new residents moving in on or after Jan 1, 1998 do now, however, have to file reg papers 60 days after moving to CA).