PDA

View Full Version : SUPER STRONG WIRELESS ROUTER... suggestions?

thefinger
03-31-2010, 10:30 PM
I need a wireless router for my home network. I need something that can transmit from my computer room in the house to my workstation in the workshop outside. I've always had problem with getting a good connection out there. Its about 50 feet from my router to computer.

Can anyone suggest a good set-up? :confused: I'd like to get a new router with some sort of booster (maybe directional?), and also a great receiver for my desktop machine in the workshop.

Any specific models I should consider? Halp!:eek:

gravedigger
04-01-2010, 2:39 AM
50 feet? Why not just run a LAN cable to a hub or a switch in your workshop? Either in the air from pole to pole with a supporting 1/16" steel cable, or underground through a length of PVC pipe? Seems to be a really short distance to warrant an expensive wireless setup. The Linksys routers with the extended Db gain antennas should easily reach that distance. I'd be careful about broadcasting your router from your home. it means that a passerby can link into it with a laptop or an iPhone or whatever, and if it isn't completely secure, you're opening up your home computers to strangers. Take a Saturday afternoon and run a cable. You'll be glad you did!

sd_shooter
04-01-2010, 6:45 AM
My Linksys wireless G router works fine - I can watch netflix movies even hanging out in the back yard or in the garage.

'G' has greater range than 'B' and better security as well.

http://www.amazon.com/Linksys-WRT54G-Wireless-G-Router/dp/B00007KDVI

KALIDAWG8996
04-01-2010, 6:45 AM
You can use a wall plug in ethernet set up. You can use these wall jack type devices that have an ethernet plug on the set(you need 2).

1) you plug in one near your router and plug it in to an electrical socket.

2)you plug the other in your work shop and plug it in and VOILA!

You can find them on ebay for roughly 80-100 bucks. They're called plug-in ethernet adapters.

another thing you can use is a repeater for your Wireless set up you can probably find at geeks.com

ocabj
04-01-2010, 7:10 AM
You can buy a high-gain antenna and get the appropriate connector to plug it into your respective wifi access point.

Example:
http://www.radiolabs.com/products/antennas/2.4gig/high-gain-wifi-antenna.php

Security? I don't use WEP or WPA at home. I simply turn off SSID broadcasting and setup MAC binding. I handle all encryption at the application layer.

limitdown
04-01-2010, 7:12 AM
I bought a Cisco range-extender N to replace my Netgear G router thinking that it would increase signal strength.
Disappointed.
No increase in range. Speed the same.
Check to see if you have a slot in the back of your existing router in which you can plug in an antenna. Then get an antenna from newegg.com

ldivinag
04-01-2010, 11:08 AM
www.cantenna.com

JDay
04-02-2010, 2:12 AM
Get a Linksys WRT54GL, flash it with DD-WRT and get the high gain antenna kit for it. You'll get a ton of range. You can even turn the TX power up in the DD-WRT settings. Another thing you should do is make sure the wireless channel is set to auto, this way it will choose the channel with the least interference. This is important if there's a lot of wireless routers in your area or a cell tower nearby.

whobob
04-02-2010, 3:09 AM
I use a repeater.

hamsalad
04-02-2010, 5:03 AM
Get a Linksys WRT54GL, flash it with DD-WRT and get the high gain antenna kit for it. You'll get a ton of range. You can even turn the TX power up in the DD-WRT settings. Another thing you should do is make sure the wireless channel is set to auto, this way it will choose the channel with the least interference. This is important if there's a lot of wireless routers in your area or a cell tower nearby.

I second this setup as it mirrors mine. Rock solid setup.

hikari
04-02-2010, 10:38 AM
Ok so here is the thing.

First i would say if you can wire it wire it.
Second if you are going wireless go with 802.11n make sure both sides support it.

The question is what frequency you want to go with either 2.4hz or 5hz.
Now lower the frequency number the more penetration the wave has.
So you will be able to go further with 2.4hz but there is alot of house hold things that run on 2.4hz like microwave's phones etc... so there is more noise in the 2.4 spectrum

If you move to 5hz realm there is less noise and more channels.

Now if you ask me what i use.
I have a newer Apple extreeme the reason behind it is that you can broadcast but sepctriums and have both networks setup
So for distance runs like my yard i can switch to that but other things in my house i can play Blue ray rips with out stutter.

Apple extreeme was the only router out that that could do this but now i think there are one or two other that can do it.
If you decided to go this route make sure it say simultaneous bands

Satex
04-02-2010, 1:36 PM
Go with "n" technology, all of them have MIMO technology which helps extend range. Also, place the router in a good location in the home, away from objects, and if possible head high.

JDay
04-02-2010, 3:06 PM
The question is what frequency you want to go with either 2.4hz or 5hz.
Now lower the frequency number the more penetration the wave has.
So you will be able to go further with 2.4hz but there is alot of house hold things that run on 2.4hz like microwave's phones etc... so there is more noise in the 2.4 spectrum

Wifi doesn't operate in either of those frequencies. It operates in GHz not Hz. 802.11n is 5GHz so it will not travel as far as 802.11g through walls. Microwaves and phones aren't a problem if you don't put the router right next to the microwave or the telephone base station. Its also a good idea to set the wireless channel to auto.

odysseus
04-02-2010, 3:27 PM
I am surprised no one has recommended it, but you should try to examine gain strength using one of the many free wifi signal detection utilities out there to at least troubleshoot the topology issue. 50 feet should not be too much of a constraint unless there are some real barriers to the building and items in it causing high attenuation (think metal siding as a big example).

Sure a directional antenna would normally help, but there seems to be some inefficiency here for normal wifi. Normally if you can't line of sight between windows well to help, I would recommend an outside antenna.

igorts
04-02-2010, 3:53 PM
I think i have 20 Miles radius antenna by cisco somewhere...
if you cant find an amplifier you might become a provider in your area..:)

odysseus
04-02-2010, 4:00 PM

Maybe a little too much horsepower and ($$$) for a home connection to 50 feet away. ;)

Rogue187
04-02-2010, 10:13 PM
I'd like to pick the brains of some of you in the know..
I also need to find a way to boost the signal strength in my home..
I like in SF and in some of the residences there is a lot of wood..
which interfers greatly..

I currently have two netgear routers running..
One in the front of the house with the modem for the cable..
Second on is mounted midway in the house in a hallway that connects the front to the rear of the house..

At times the signal strength is strong enough and sometimes it just drops off to nothing..the router in the front is always sending out a stong signal..it's the material and interference that hinders the second router which is set up to act as a repeater to connect to the back room which houses the computer.

Any suggestions..I'm going to look into the antenna..

Satex
04-02-2010, 10:47 PM
Do a site survey to see which channels are least occupied in your home, then select those for your system. Also, how is the second router connected to the main one? It doesn't really make sense that the signal strength drops down to none.

odysseus
04-02-2010, 10:58 PM
Rogue - what would be good to know is your noise levels show when it drops down. This is assuming you are staying in the same place (not moving around) and you have a strong signal and it then just drops off.

patriot_man
04-02-2010, 11:02 PM
wireless G

JDay
04-03-2010, 12:48 AM
Sure a directional antenna would normally help, but there seems to be some inefficiency here for normal wifi. Normally if you can't line of sight between windows well to help, I would recommend an outside antenna.

That's the nice thing about the WRT54GL I recommended, you can setup a patch antenna outside and connect it to one of the antenna ports.

JDay
04-03-2010, 12:50 AM

The problem with amplifiers is that they amplify any interference you may be receiving.

JDay
04-03-2010, 12:53 AM
Here is the 802.11 b/g channel map. The only three channels that don't overlap are 1, 6 and 11.

http://www.moonblinkwifi.com/misc_images/80211-frequency-channel-map.JPG

Rob454
04-03-2010, 10:01 AM
I have a cheapo wireless router and my neighbors can use my internet. well that is if I allowed it. I let them use it one time cause they needed to sell some stuff on ebay. I had to go there and log in for them. Then they started using it all the time and I got pissed and changed the password reloaded the program bal bla bla. you can easily run 50 foot cable. Hell if you need some cat 5 if youre in orange county come by and Ill give you some. ill even make the ends up for you.

Rogue187
04-03-2010, 11:44 AM
I think I left out some information..
For the routers in my home they are running on the G band..
The 1st router in the front of the house is directly wired..
The 2nd one is sitting in the hallway and it is set up as a repeater.

At times when I am online the message I can see it that the connection is very good and sometimes it drops to low..and at times to no connection..
It varies during the evening..

The computer is in the very back of the house and the signal is strong and at times very low..
I had the guys from Geeksquad come out to set it up and it worked well..but like all problems when the tech leaves the signal drops and then goes back up..
It's too far to run a cable and since my flat is on the second floor I cannot run wiring under the floor.

What could I possibly use to boost up my connection strength.?
I've tried the plug in ethernet set up but the wiring is not all on the same circuit..

t0kie
04-03-2010, 12:04 PM
Go with wireless N, you will like it.
________
Web Shows (http://livesexwebshows.com/)

dchang0
04-03-2010, 3:10 PM
You can use a wall plug in ethernet set up. You can use these wall jack type devices that have an ethernet plug on the set(you need 2).

1) you plug in one near your router and plug it in to an electrical socket.

2)you plug the other in your work shop and plug it in and VOILA!

You can find them on ebay for roughly 80-100 bucks. They're called plug-in ethernet adapters.

another thing you can use is a repeater for your Wireless set up you can probably find at geeks.com

This is the way to go. BUT, you should note that the Powerline Ethernet technology only works if the two outlets being used are on the same circuit (ie, get shut off by the same circuit breaker).

Anyway, do this rather than wireless, as atmospheric conditions can often interfere with the quality of the wireless signal. If you live where it rains or is foggy outside, you'll see the wireless signal go to pot fairly often.

JDay
04-04-2010, 3:39 AM
At times when I am online the message I can see it that the connection is very good and sometimes it drops to low..and at times to no connection..
It varies during the evening..

You need to change the channels being used, interference is causing your issues.

I had the guys from Geeksquad come out to set it up and it worked well..but like all problems when the tech leaves the signal drops and then goes back up..

What a waste of money, Geeksquad is a joke. Their services are mostly a scam for Best Buy to get more money out of your pocket for a perceived value added service.

mow
04-04-2010, 1:58 PM
50 feet? Any decent wireless router should be able to handle that just fine. Get a unit that can support the DD-WRT firmware. You can increase the output power of the transmitter by changing a parameter in the router setup.

Yes, use WDS with the DDWRT firmware and you won't need to run wires.

http://www.dd-wrt.com/site/index

These routers are ~$50 from Newegg and they are sweet!

Buffalo WHR-HP-G54