PDA

View Full Version : Inspired by Roadrunner's Sheriff post...

AbinSur
03-31-2010, 4:08 PM
I thought Roadrunner's post regarding Sheriff Christenson was very informative and I wanted to share my e-mail correspondence re CCW with a local Madera Co. candidate for Sheriff. I see a bunch of local folks with yard signs supporting Betty Barker for Sheriff so I e-mailed her a la Roadrunner with a simple question regarding CCW permits:

Hello Sgt Barker,
I am curious as to your stance on issuing CCW permits. The current Sheriff does a good job of making sure Madera Co. residents who want a CCW and qualify for one, get one. A California firearms website of which I am a member has recently started posting the CCW stance of CA Sheriffs and candidates in an effort to get the 'word out', one way or the other.
So, if you have a chance, could you give me (us) some insight into how you feel about arming responsible citizens?
Thank you for your time,
Abinsur

Her response:

Thank you for contacting me with your question. I have always been a supporter of the right to bare arms and that will not change. I will continue to allow Madera County residents to receive CCW's as they have always done. I do want to add a few questions regarding narcotics use to the background package. I do not believe persons who are addicted to drugs (prescription drugs included) should carry concealed firearms. The background applications address illegal drugs, but does not address prescription narcotics, which is becoming more of a problem nation wide than ever before. This is not a huge problem within our county, but from time to time it does come up as a result of an incident from someone who does have a CCW and it is not clearly addressed on the background check application . I would address this issue.
I hope I have answered your question and relieved any worries that you may have regarding CCWs in Madera County.

Sincerely
Betty Barker
GOD BLESS AMERICA

Dr Rockso
03-31-2010, 4:14 PM
Thank you for contacting me with your question. I have always been a supporter of the right to bare arms and that will not change.
The first lady will be glad to hear that.

I will continue to allow Madera County residents to receive CCW's as they have always done. I do want to add a few questions regarding narcotics use to the background package. I do not believe persons who are addicted to drugs (prescription drugs included) should carry concealed firearms. The background applications address illegal drugs, but does not address prescription narcotics, which is becoming more of a problem nation wide than ever before.
I wonder what, specifically, that question will address. If somebody gets a post-operative prescription for something will they be barred from getting a CCW, or only if they are using it illegally (in which case they probably wouldn't answer the question truthfully)?

Roadrunner
03-31-2010, 4:39 PM
Just wondering, are you going to follow this up with a one on one with her? I'd love to see what she says in response to questions in an actual conversation.

I was supposed to meet with Christianson, but I had an unforeseen priority I had to address, so I canceled it. I just need to pick another time to meet with him.

AbinSur
03-31-2010, 4:58 PM
No, not planning to follow up with a one-on-one. I support John Anderson, but I've been seeing so many of those yard signs for this gal that I had to find out where she stood. Your post on Christenson really got me thinking about this...

Roadrunner
03-31-2010, 5:31 PM
No, not planning to follow up with a one-on-one. I support John Anderson, but I've been seeing so many of those yard signs for this gal that I had to find out where she stood. Your post on Christenson really got me thinking about this...

All I can say is, Calguns was my inspiration. :D