PDA

View Full Version : Off list AR questions

alcmaeon
02-13-2006, 10:08 AM
So it looks like I blinked, got busy with school and missed this whole "loophole for ARs" thing.

Correct me if I am wrong on what I think I know understand:

If I buy an off list receiver, fix a 10 rounder to it with a kit that needs a tool to open than I can build it up like a Fab-10 could be built up?

The receiver will still be legal if the DOJ puts it on the Assault Ban list if I register it, at least in theory.

IF I got all that correct, anything else I missed?

And IF I understand this correctly which SF Bay Area gun dealers are selling the receivers? I called Sportsmanís Supply in Campbell (my preferred store) and they are "not dealing with the AR thing" as the guy who answered the phone stated.

Thanks!

TonyM
02-13-2006, 10:14 AM
So it looks like I blinked, got busy with school and missed this whole "loophole for ARs" thing.

First, It's not a "loophole". Nobody is trying to get around the law, the point to to build legal cost effective quality self loading fixed magazine rifles.

If I buy an off list receiver, fix a 10 rounder to it with a kit that needs a tool to open than I can build it up like a Fab-10 could be built up?

yep.

The receiver will still be legal if the DOJ puts it on the Assault Ban list if I register it, at least in theory.

yep.

And IF I understand this correctly which SF Bay Area gun dealers are selling the receivers? I called Sportsmanís Supply in Campbell (my preferred store) and they are "not dealing with the AR thing" as the guy who answered the phone stated.

Thanks!

Call Gun Exchange in San Jose if you're looking for a shop. or look in the .223 forum here (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/forumdisplay.php?f=81) for any group buys.

Stanze
02-13-2006, 10:20 AM

Yup, buy at least two!:D

HEUER
02-13-2006, 10:24 AM
I would not wait. Even though it appears that the DOJ is taking their time (already 3rd week of FEB, this started back in DEC 2005), the sooner the better.

Santa Cruz Armory
02-13-2006, 10:29 AM
I'm still looking for lowers also...are there any deals left?

ohsmily
02-13-2006, 10:56 AM

And IF I understand this correctly which SF Bay Area gun dealers are selling the receivers? I called Sportsman’s Supply in Campbell (my preferred store) and they are "not dealing with the AR thing" as the guy who answered the phone stated.

Thanks!

Do everyone including YOURSELF a favor....read the FAQ that is highlighted in red at the top of every calguns page (and do so carefully)

sigguy552
02-13-2006, 8:52 PM
ohsmily +1

and to add to the FAQ....many dealers including myself share the opinion that this so called secondary ban will never happen. This rumor was perpetrated by a few unscrupulous dealers to try and create a buying frenzy on the large amounts of lowers they had purchased. CA DOJ realizes that if they do ban these off list lowers, all the manufacturers are going to produce lowers with different names to beat the new laws and it will be a losing battle on their part. The legistors has already learned their lesson from when they banned Colt AR-15 and Colt produced the Colt match sporter which was the same thing except with a different stamping. I'm not trying to rain on anyones parade but I seriously doubt a ban will ever happen. Remember also, if you are caught with a lower and AR parts during a domestic violence call by the cops, things could get really ugly quick.

Santa Cruz Armory
02-14-2006, 8:15 PM
So, the moral of the story is: Don't beat up your significant other while builing your AR.....;)

tenpercentfirearms
02-14-2006, 10:11 PM
many dealers including myself share the opinion that this so called secondary ban will never happen. This rumor was perpetrated by a few unscrupulous dealers to try and create a buying frenzy on the large amounts of lowers they had purchased.LOL. Nevermind all of the letters the DOJ has sent stating they will add these lowers to the list very soon. Nevermind how the DOJ has told numerous people over the phone that they will be adding the lowers to the list. Yeah, it is the greedy dealer who got this whole thing going. LOL.

You know, come to think of it, I made that whole thing up about Mr. Chinn telling me two weeks at the San Jose Show. Anyone who was there that heard it is a liar, just like me! And two weeks later when he said three more weeks, I made that up too. And again, I was responsible for hacking the DOJ website and posting that memo that said they will be identifying these firearms and filing the new list with the Secretary of State. Yeah it was me. Your local unscrupulous dealer!

There is certainly nothing coming from the DOJ about updating any lists or series firearms. Nothing. I made it all up. Why did I do it you ask? So I could become rich! HA HA HA HA HA [/evil, unscrupulous laugh]

TheMan
02-15-2006, 12:25 AM
and to add to the FAQ....many dealers including myself share the opinion that this so called secondary ban will never happen. This rumor was perpetrated by a few unscrupulous dealers to try and create a buying frenzy on the large amounts of lowers they had purchased.

The way they hacked the DOJ website and added that fake memo about impending ban, was sheer genius. :rolleyes:

antarius
02-15-2006, 12:50 AM
So, the moral of the story is: Don't beat up your significant other while builing your AR.....;)
Best response ever!!!!

HAHHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHA

xenophobe
02-15-2006, 1:32 AM
Right now they're compiling a roster of unlisted receiver manufacturers to submit. Of course they're worried about all the new manufacturers that will pop up after they do list a bunch of companies, and there will also be a couple they will have missed. Those recievers will start coming in numbers as well. This will happen 2 or 3 times before any new legislation can be enacted.

They're also trying to figure out how to ban AR and AK lowers completely, in a way the courts cannot overrule them. Once they figure out the methodology and a correct way to specify this in law, they'll have someone in the legislature introduce a fast track bill that will reach the Governor's desk, probably by years' end. And he'll most likely sign it without incident.

tenpercentfirearms
02-15-2006, 5:31 AM
Right now they're compiling a roster of unlisted receiver manufacturers to submit. Of course they're worried about all the new manufacturers that will pop up after they do list a bunch of companies, and there will also be a couple they will have missed. Those recievers will start coming in numbers as well. This will happen 2 or 3 times before any new legislation can be enacted.

They're also trying to figure out how to ban AR and AK lowers completely, in a way the courts cannot overrule them. Once they figure out the methodology and a correct way to specify this in law, they'll have someone in the legislature introduce a fast track bill that will reach the Governor's desk, probably by years' end. And he'll most likely sign it without incident.Well said comrade, except you forgot to mention they will update the list Friday so everyone should come buy out your lowers today and tomorrow. Come on, lets keep this unscrupulous dealer conspiracy going. We are losing steam and I need to get rid of my last 5000 lowers! :rolleyes:

Just kidding by the way. I stopped selling lowers about January 5th somewhere. Now I just unscrupulously sell uppers and parts. By the way, next week sometime I expect to get a DOJ memo posted about how uppers and parts will be banned too. In fact, the next memo is really ingenius, it bans any rifle that is black. You better get your synthetic bolt action rifles from me now before it is too late! I am selling spray painted Savage/Stevens 200s for $1200! ;)

xenophobe
02-15-2006, 11:12 AM
Hahaha! Yeah, that's right... crap... they're being listed tomorrow... everyone come in, buy one, get none free or buy three for the price of five!!! lol