PDA

View Full Version : Converted Saiga. Is there some paperwork I should carry with me?

cruddymutt
03-30-2010, 11:13 PM
I have 2 converted/restored Saigas. One has a pistol grip, sliding stock, and 10 round mag with a mag lock. The other is a PSL look alike with the skeleton stock, and 8 round mag with mag lock. Is there any paperwork or something I should keep with me in case John Law gives me grief? Also, both are 922r compliant.
I ask because I was told today by an FFL01 that I was a "grey area gunner". Kinda irritated me as I see no difference between my Saigas and an off the rack AR15. It got me thinking however that if he considers it grey area then LEO may also.

hawk81
03-31-2010, 4:13 AM
Even if you had paperwork, you could still get a stupid anti gun cop to confiscate your gun. Some cops in California have no concern for your rights. Just sayin, so be careful.

Lone_Gunman
03-31-2010, 7:40 AM
Carry a copy of the flow chart and the Sacto PD training memo.

WokMaster1
03-31-2010, 8:20 AM
Paper towels to wipe some of the lube that you used to lube the receiver. And Sac PD memo, OLL Flowchart & the "magnet" with Chuck Michel's number.

Cobrafreak
03-31-2010, 9:14 AM
CA legal AK's are common enough that you won't stick out like a sore thumb shooting it. Especially if you are running synthetic stocks. It's the light colored wood stocks and the folders that get people thinking it's the "enemies" weapon of choice. When I shoot my all black Saiga no body notices. When I shoot the woody people think I'm on the verge of starting a war. Funny if you look at it.

a1c
03-31-2010, 9:28 AM
Yes. Carry paperwork, flowcharts, and so on. While it's not a guarantee against police harassment, it's better to have it than not.

cruddymutt
03-31-2010, 5:52 PM
Thanks everyone. Appreciate the help.

bwiese
03-31-2010, 6:07 PM
1. Be able to explain your Saiga is not listed, and that only Kalashnikov USA Saigas are banned by name.

2. Be able to quote 12276.1PC.

3. Be able to explain why the rifle does not have a detachable magazine,
and be able to quote the 11 CCR 5469(a) regulatory definition by heart.

4. Remember that there's no "constructive possession".

tuolumnejim
03-31-2010, 6:57 PM
Even if you had paperwork, you could still get a stupid anti gun cop to confiscate your gun. Some cops in California have no concern for your rights. Just sayin, so be careful.

Most street cops are NOT anti's who they answer too is something else. :cool:

bwiese
03-31-2010, 7:09 PM
Most street cops are NOT anti's who they answer too is something else. :cool:

You're out in the sticks.

LA, SF, SD, and SJ have some real ringers on the street - regardless of their mgmt's attitudes.