PDA

View Full Version : lowers...stag vs. fulton

subroutine
02-12-2006, 10:41 PM
does anyone have an opinion as to which lower is the "better" lower? they are both "off-list"......just trying to make the best decision.

THANKS

SUB

leelaw
02-12-2006, 10:42 PM
Don't worry about it.

A bonus for the Stag, though, is the deer on the side. You can make it holiday-themed and paint the nose red, if you want.

blacklisted
02-12-2006, 10:47 PM
does anyone have an opinion as to which lower is the "better" lower? they are both "off-list"......just trying to make the best decision.

THANKS

SUB

I think Fulton and Stag are both out. If you have some lined up, get either one because it does not matter.

subroutine
02-12-2006, 10:49 PM
I think Fulton and Stag are both out. If you have some lined up, get either one because it does not matter.

when you say they are both "out" do you mean they are both "off-list" or that that they will soon be "on-list"............
can you clarify this for me?

TIA

subroutine
02-12-2006, 10:51 PM
OHHHHH,,,,,,,out of stock.........duh...hehe

Henry47
02-12-2006, 11:11 PM
Honestly, I like the finish on the Fultons more than I do Stags. I believe the Stags I have were run through the finish process in a hurry though.

EBWhite
02-12-2006, 11:56 PM
They are all mil-spec and basically the same. Some have better finish but still milspec. Lowest quality of the lowers come courtesy of Vulcan/Hesse..

Stanze
02-13-2006, 12:27 AM
I would get whatever I can get my grubby mitts on, but I didn't like the way Fulton handled the 10 percent group buy.

I have a Stag, as far as finish is concerned it reminds me of Bushmaster's rough "parkerized" look, especially before the Tech Ted CLP bath.

http://img229.imageshack.us/img229/4903/img47411lq.jpg

maxicon
02-13-2006, 8:03 AM
I just built up a Fulton lower, and it went very smoothly - lots better than the last Fab 10 I built not long back. No problems at all.

I'm in agreement about how the way they handled the group buy sucked. They could have been polite but firm, instead of threatening. I lost a lot of respect for Fulton's management when that happened, but the GB I got into happened to be Fulton lowers, and I was worried about the window closing.

max

shopkeep
02-13-2006, 9:36 AM
As far as I can tell the Stags are the most sought after lower on the market followed closely by a group of individuals who love the Mega. Be careful, these guys are insane and will shout "Mega Mega Mega" at you :) hehehe...

Santa Cruz Armory
02-13-2006, 9:42 AM
Hey Guys~

Is there anywhere left to buy a lower (or 2) without getting friggin' raped!!!

Are there any honest sellers out there............anywhere?

subroutine
02-13-2006, 10:09 AM
ok, i think i read online about the incident w/ fulton regarding the letter they got from the DOJ about sending their product into CA. i read a letter to some feller but i don't know if that was the 10% deal. seems they get lots of pressure from the DOJ...........not to say they couldn't have been more polite...i don't know......i don't remember it word for word but it seemed very legal-esse.....

but aside from that....seems that the fulton has a nicer finish from what you guys are saying <???> but the quality of both are comparable <???> is that about right?

Hopi
02-13-2006, 11:46 AM
MEGA, MEGA, MEGA!!!!!

That being said, I have a Stag and a Fulton also. Both are nice and I would DO A LOT just to get either one of these if I didn't already have some, but when comparing the two, the Stag has a more uniform finish and the machining on the Fulton leaves a lot to be desired. If I were paying the same for each and could pick either a Stag or Fulton, hands down I would choose the Stag. Not to mention that the Stags are basically the same lowers that are fightin' in the sandbox as we type.

Oh, and btw, at least in this picture, the Megas take a back seat to the Stag and Fulton.
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y123/hopi420/AA.jpg

Stanze
02-13-2006, 11:57 AM
My friend is going to use his Fultons for his Guinea Pig refinishing projects, :D His STAG and Mega will retain their original finish.

Doublestar is also quality build and finish, seek those out as well.

http://img32.imageshack.us/img32/4666/doublestarstag8fc.jpg
Here's a shot of my Doublestar next to my completed Stag. The camera flash makes it appear lighter than it actually is.

subroutine
02-13-2006, 12:04 PM
MEGA, MEGA, MEGA!!!!!

That being said, I have a Stag and a Fulton also. Both are nice and I would DO A LOT just to get either one of these if I didn't already have some, but when comparing the two, the Stag has a more uniform finish and the machining on the Fulton leaves a lot to be desired. If I were paying the same for each and could pick either a Stag or Fulton, hands down I would choose the Stag. Not to mention that the Stags are basically the same lowers that are fightin' in the sandbox as we type.

Oh, and btw, at least in this picture, the Megas take a back seat to the Stag and Fulton.
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y123/hopi420/AA.jpg

hopi, you bad-*** hoarder!!! hehehe....beautiful picture you have there. are you going to build them up or are they just for posterity?

SUB

rocketboy
02-13-2006, 12:14 PM
I bought three Stags and the finish on all feels like 220 sand paper. The fulton feels like my colt, nice and smooth. The fulton's color looks like dirty copper when held to the blackness of the stag.

Hopi
02-13-2006, 12:23 PM
Thanks! the stag, fulton, and 1 Mega are currently being built into bullet-hoses. The stag is an all-Stag "factory" build, the fulton is destined for a .50 beowolf pig-huntin' setup, and the mega will blossom into my "wow, she's so pretty" gun with a custom built upper and all the trimmings:cool:
The other two Mega lowers are consecutive serial numbers and will be safe princesses. I say get what you can, while you can!

C.G.
02-13-2006, 12:31 PM
Thanks! the stag, fulton, and 1 Mega are currently being built into bullet-hoses. The stag is an all-Stag "factory" build, the fulton is destined for a .50 beowolf pig-huntin' setup, and the mega will blossom into my "wow, she's so pretty" gun with a custom built upper and all the trimmings:cool:
The other two Mega lowers are consecutive serial numbers and will be safe princesses. I say get what you can, while you can!
If you have a .50 Beowulf pig gun, the Stag should be your 6.5 Grendel deer gun.:D (Just a suggestion how to spend more money).:)

subroutine
02-13-2006, 12:33 PM
so 1 person thinks the stags finish is crappy and another thinks fulton's machining leaves somthing to be desired....hmmmm (or was that from another boards post?).

tough decision!!!

Hopi
02-13-2006, 12:42 PM
There was a batch of stags with finish/annodization problems, but those have long been sold and the newest lowers (mine is a more recent production) are coming out perfect. As for stags looking like "parkerized sand paper", well, mine does have the military parkerizing feel and look to it, which I very much like (ALERT: subjectivity involved here). Remember, the stags are made by CMT who currently produces parts for U.S. military guns, including lower receivers. Not sure what type of military creds the Fultons have.

subroutine
02-13-2006, 1:10 PM
ok, looks like i'll go w/ the stag then!!! i rather have black than some kind of off-copper-grunge color anyhow, and if it's good enuf for the troops, it's good enuf for moi (and less expensive too!!!)

SUB

akspetsnaz
02-13-2006, 1:45 PM
Checked it out at the SHOT and the finish looks really nice - matte black. Just like Colt, Bushy and other quality lowers.

Rascal
02-13-2006, 1:54 PM
ok, looks like i'll go w/ the stag then!!! i rather have black than some kind of off-copper-grunge color anyhow, and if it's good enuf for the troops, it's good enuf for moi (and less expensive too!!!)

SUB

I don't think you understand, Get whatever you can at this point in the game.
It doesn't really matter which lower you get, as the lower is not the part that will add to accuracy, that is the uppers part. Just go get one NOW!
There really is no "this is better than that" lower receiver, after you have used them for awhile, the all get scratched up.

maxicon
02-13-2006, 3:07 PM
While checking out some other stuff, I took a closer look at one of my Fultons.

There are a couple of places on the inside where there are machining marks, but nothing visible from the outside, if that's important to you.

max