PDA

View Full Version : School me on mags

10fcp
03-30-2010, 5:53 PM
I know 10 rounders are the max. Unassembled high caps are legal, can be used to build into a 10 rounder if made permanent. Was the year 2000 when the Fed ban on high cap when into effect? I know only Kali has the 10 limit now. Let's say for instance I owned a high cap glock before the law, do you need to scrap your mags and only use 10 cap mags or were you to register them and still be able to use them?

Librarian
03-30-2010, 5:58 PM
I know 10 rounders are the max. Unassembled high caps are legal, can be used to build into a 10 rounder if made permanent. Was the year 2000 when the Fed ban on high cap when into effect? I know only Kali has the 10 limit now. Let's say for instance I owned a high cap glock before the law, do you need to scrap your mags and only use 10 cap mags or were you to register them and still be able to use them?

Magazines are not registered.

Any 10+ magazine you possessed in CA prior to 1 Jan 2000 is perfectly legal to own, possess and use.

There's a secondary problem with OLLs and 10+ mags.

See http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/index.php/Large-capacity_magazine_restrictions

Gio
03-30-2010, 5:59 PM
If for a pistol you can use pre-ban mags. If for a OLL with BB of some sort you cannot use more than 10 round mags.

Basic setup would be Featureless, no FH, PG and or Collapsible Stock. If those 3 things are gone you can use a hi-cap mag that you had before the ban or rebuilt it using a newer mag.

Or only able to use with a RAW, not even LEO or Mil can use hi-caps in a BB OLL.

So no need to scrap old mags and make them into 10 rounders. If it is pistol with a pistol grip magazine you cna use your pre-bans. If it is a AK or AR Pistol or Magwell outside of the magwell you may not use more than a 10 round mag.

Hope this helps.

-Gio

Window_Seat
03-31-2010, 12:03 AM
I'm not sure about a "fed ban" on large caps, anyone?

Erik.

Digital_Boy
03-31-2010, 12:17 AM
I'm not sure about a "fed ban" on large caps, anyone?

Erik.

Expired in 2004 when the Fed assault weapon ban sunsetted. Only reminder are some magazines were date stamped and marked "Military or Law Enforcement Use only"

Sniper3142
03-31-2010, 8:49 AM
The Federal (or Clinton Era) ban was on manufacturing and importation. It did not ban purchasing high cap mags that already existed. That is why you could still buy 20 and 30 round magazines during that ban. Brand new magazines created during that ban were marked "For Law Enforcement or Govt use only".

Since that ban has sunset, it and those LEO/Govt only markings have no legal mean or effect here in California.