PDA

View Full Version : questions about bodyarmor and plates

KCDS
03-30-2010, 6:11 PM
is there any regulations or restriction on these item's sales?? can i buy them for personal use from oversea??

Glock-matic
03-30-2010, 6:46 PM
There are some restrictions for body armor. You can get permission from the state dept to export, but more importantly, make sure its legal to wear where you will be overseas, not every country allows civilians to own and wear body armor.

loather
03-30-2010, 8:15 PM
Yes, you can import body armor into the state and wear it pretty much wherever you like. California so far has no restrictions on individuals in possession of body armor (with the exception of felons, but I think even this law may have been overturned). There was some noise at the Federal level, I think, regarding regulation of body armor, but I'm fairly certain it died in committee.

hitman13
03-30-2010, 11:11 PM
Two things to point out:

-Body armor being imported / exported at a federal level has to do with
ITARs.
-To expand on the "not every country allows civilians to own and wear body armor" comment, it is also true that not every country will allow you to transit through their country with it, even if you are staying at the airport....

Be careful with these, as you can end up with felonies, or in a foreign jail. Post up your travel plans or whatnot and we may be able to help out more.

mcholak
03-31-2010, 8:42 AM
Bullet proof vests may not be that bad but if I remember right something like Dragon Skin weighs about 60#'s. Not something you'd want to wear on a quick trip to the grocery store.

KCDS
03-31-2010, 5:27 PM
so that means I can pretty much just buy surplus body armor from other country then ship it directly into cali, right?

hitman13
03-31-2010, 8:03 PM
not always. ITARs is a complicated ***** to deal with.