PDA

View Full Version : Tell me about this Garand

PolishMike
03-30-2010, 4:16 PM
Serial number puts it Oct 1942

http://picasaweb.google.com/103144764350096016035/DropBox?authkey=Gv1sRgCJaiuvzt8dXEcA&feat=directlink

thefifthspeed
03-30-2010, 4:50 PM
Not sure how much I can tell from the pics without seeing it in person but if you are wanting to know if it may be original or correct you can check the numbers of each part on this page:
http://battlerifle0.tripod.com/id3.html

Out of curiosity: is this going up for sale at TRAP or is this part of your personal collection?

PolishMike
03-30-2010, 6:05 PM
Not sure how much I can tell from the pics without seeing it in person but if you are wanting to know if it may be original or correct you can check the numbers of each part on this page:
http://battlerifle0.tripod.com/id3.html

Out of curiosity: is this going up for sale at TRAP or is this part of your personal collection?

I don't know squat about Garands...

The bolt group is stamped 6528287 HRA with a *U* marked on it. Serial number 980311

Its a gun I happened upon and I think I got it for a good price. You're welcome to swing by and check it out

Mike

Jarhead
03-30-2010, 6:25 PM
if your looking to buy go to http://www.thecmp.org/m1garand.htm they currently have the best batch of Garands in the last few years, this is your best Mil Surp buy today. These same weapons selling for $1-2,000.00 at Gun Shows / Gunbrokers. If your buying save yourself the heartache and go CMP.

mls343
03-30-2010, 7:57 PM
+ 1 on the CMP. Nothing better in my opinion.

davfink
03-30-2010, 8:07 PM
Hi you have a refinished WW2 garand, with birch or beech stock
nice bayonet
you have a post war bolt made by harrington and richardson for their garands

We would need to know the barrel markings to tell you more. it would be under the op rod and look near the muzzle for any stampings there.

It almost looks like the op rod has NM on it too

PolishMike
03-31-2010, 9:40 AM
Hi you have a refinished WW2 garand, with birch or beech stock
nice bayonet
you have a post war bolt made by harrington and richardson for their garands

We would need to know the barrel markings to tell you more. it would be under the op rod and look near the muzzle for any stampings there.

It almost looks like the op rod has NM on it too

The op rod does have "NM" stamped on it.

Barrel has "Winchester 6535448 5-67 3 D M" and a stamp I can't make out.

Omega13device
03-31-2010, 11:30 AM
It looks awfully dry, I can tell you that much. Be sure to grease it up before you shoot it!

vf111
03-31-2010, 11:37 AM
Refinished mixmaster but nice rifle regardless - if the TE & ME are good, will make a great shooter. Interestingly, the milled trigger guard is correct for the receiver - what're the markings on the trigger housing, hammer & safety? Who knows, you may have a correct trigger group!

rjf
03-31-2010, 2:28 PM
The receiver heel appears to have been annealed (lead dipped). When you clean up and oil the receiver you will notice the back end is darker than the front. This was done to prevent the bolt cracking the heel during recoil. This was a field mod for early receivers. Receivers with the diamond <> by the drawing number are upgraded steel and did not need the mod.

Your barrel is a post war replacement made by Winchester in May 1967.

Your rifle is a post war refurb and will last many more life times with proper care.

BroncoBob
03-31-2010, 2:30 PM
I don't know squat about Garands...

The bolt group is stamped 6528287 HRA with a *U* marked on it. Serial number 980311

Its a gun I happened upon and I think I got it for a good price. You're welcome to swing by and check it out

Mike

It's worth very little, just give it to me......

:rofl2:

Edge
04-01-2010, 12:39 PM
What did you pay for it?

campperrykid
04-01-2010, 3:20 PM
Nice rifle.
The stock looks beech to me. Closer pic's of bayo markings could help to further ID it. Does the bolt have a serial number engraved on it? Any markings on the stock?