PDA

View Full Version : AR15 full auto bolt carriers

sean168472
02-12-2006, 6:20 PM
I just read on the AR-15 forum that full auto bolt carriers are legal!!!!!! Is this right, this seems to me that if you have one installed you are treading on thin ice. Has anyone else heard of this? I would think you would get busted by the ATF for having M16 parts in an unregistered machine gun.........sounds too dangerous to me!

berg
02-12-2006, 6:22 PM
I don't know if they are legal but what would the advantage be in having one?

sszeto
02-12-2006, 6:27 PM
M16 parts are illegal in California. :(

shopkeep
02-12-2006, 6:27 PM
Without a full auto lower parts kit and NFA full auto reciever the full auto bolt carrier may not operate properly. Add this to the fact that the DOJ has been known to confiscate semi-auto .223 recievers just for having the word "auto" on them and you get bad things.

Steer clear of full auto bolt carriers.

sean168472
02-12-2006, 6:35 PM
oh I never intended on getting one anyway just because I don't want to touch that grey area with a 10 foot pole, I was just wondering why I heard they were illegal and yet people are still buying them "legally"

shopkeep
02-12-2006, 6:47 PM
oh I never intended on getting one anyway just because I don't want to touch that grey area with a 10 foot pole, I was just wondering why I heard they were illegal and yet people are still buying them "legally"

Technically full auto and machine gun parts are not outlawed in California. However, due to the political climate here no one will sell/import them here. Needless to say for above reason I won't touch these parts with a 30 foot pole.

ohsmily
02-12-2006, 6:58 PM
It is perfectly legal to put an M16 bolt carrier in your rifle. The advantage is that it is a sturdier carrier (b/c it doesn't have the rear cutout) and will reduce the probability of malfunctions by having a fully enclosed firing pin instead of the cut-out on some ar-15 carriers.

Don't listen to uninformed posts. You can have the carrier in your rifle.

You are completely wrong if you think a m16 bolt carrier will make your rifle full auto. You need alot more parts than that (auto sear, 3 position selector, receiver with more metal machined out of it for clearance of the m16 parts, and a m16 disconnect.

Anyway.

Josh
02-12-2006, 10:04 PM
Without a full auto lower parts kit and NFA full auto reciever the full auto bolt carrier may not operate properly..

an m16 carrier works just fine on a semi lower, many people put them in their ar's to improve reliability with the added mass and shrouded firing pin.

tenpercentfirearms
02-12-2006, 10:22 PM
Having had lowers with "auto" stamped on them confiscated for evaluation when they were clearly not "auto", I would highly recommend you buy an enhanced bolt carrier or something else that is clearly an AR15 bolt carrier as the risk simply is not worth it. Obviously it might be legal, but when you have to hire a lawyer to get things back from the DOJ, most people would think it is not worth it.

Stanze
02-12-2006, 10:39 PM

From what I read, using a M16 Bolt carrier in a AR carbine slows down the cyclic rate due to it's "extra" mass, which either increases reliability and/or premature weapon wear.

Different springs, buffers and gas tubes are also swapped out.

Here's a thread on arf.com with a ATF decision on legality, not counting state and local laws of course: http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=4&t=263574

EDIT: This thread on arf.com is also informative and pretty amusing w/ all the flames, lol : http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=6&t=147440

glen avon
02-12-2006, 10:58 PM

duh, it's an opportunity to do something controversial with no real benefit. who can resist? :D

NRAhighpowershooter
02-12-2006, 11:31 PM
Well if selling m16 parts are illegal.. Then Creedmoore would be busted by now as they are selling the carriers....