PDA

View Full Version : Utah treats guns/crime like nothing.

xxsleepyxx
03-30-2010, 7:37 AM
After watching an episode of Gangland on the History Channel about Crip gangs in Salt Lake City I was astonished by how they treat crimes including, opening up with a 357 magnum in a crowded city festival known as Pioneer Day in downtown Salt Lake City (fortunately, no one was hit) and another time where he and accomplices went to a rival gangmember's house and threw gasoline canisters inside and the same guy took a 12 gauge and threw a slew of buckshot pellets to the home, turning it into an inferno.

So overall he did 3 years in prison/jail for these 2 incidents. Is there something I am missing? Why are their laws so lax?

ocspeedracer
03-30-2010, 7:40 AM
What? I'm going to have to check that show out... over all i would guess they just don't have that much gun crime

xxsleepyxx
03-30-2010, 7:42 AM
These incidents took place in the 90's, apparently, however, SLC, Utah has an average of 2 shootings a week now.

CCWFacts
03-30-2010, 9:01 AM
If they would just use the Federal-level felon-in-possession law to prosecute gang members caught carrying guns, it would be tremendously effective at crushing gangs and street crime, and would have very little expense to state budgets. But no... it seems like gang members get a lot of lenience and light state charges.

Federal felon-in-possession is a 10-year mandatory sentence, and they must serve 85% of that sentence.

bulgron
03-30-2010, 9:50 AM
After watching an episode of Gangland on the History Channel about Crip gangs in Salt Lake City I was astonished by how they treat crimes including, opening up with a 357 magnum in a crowded city festival known as Pioneer Day in downtown Salt Lake City (fortunately, no one was hit) and another time where he and accomplices went to a rival gangmember's house and threw gasoline canisters inside and the same guy took a 12 gauge and threw a slew of buckshot pellets to the home, turning it into an inferno.

So overall he did 3 years in prison/jail for these 2 incidents. Is there something I am missing? Why are their laws so lax?

Having that much chaos in the streets gets frightened residents to agree to higher taxes so they can have a stronger police force. Higher taxes and more police means greater control over the tax payer -- the ultimate desire of the sort of people who seek public office.

Strpd_Up_Brotha
03-30-2010, 12:08 PM
Having that much chaos in the streets gets frightened residents to agree to higher taxes so they can have a stronger police force. Higher taxes and more police means greater control over the tax payer -- the ultimate desire of the sort of people who seek public office.
Start watching First 48 .....unbelievable.....
more than twice i saw drug dealers walk out of jail for justifiable homicide...when police know they were dealing drugs...now this is what surprises me.

N6ATF
03-30-2010, 12:54 PM
Screw raising taxes. The answer is guns. Lots of guns... in the hands of law-abiding citizens.

hollabillz
03-30-2010, 2:51 PM
Screw raising taxes. The answer is guns. Lots of guns... in the hands of law-abiding citizens.

those that want to be armed have the option.. utah is shall issue :p

Shotgun Man
03-30-2010, 3:47 PM
Start watching First 48 .....unbelievable.....
more than twice i saw drug dealers walk out of jail for justifiable homicide...when police know they were dealing drugs...now this is what surprises me.

Even a drug dealer is allowed to defend himself and rightfully so.

Colt-45
03-30-2010, 3:49 PM

Well said.

POLICESTATE
03-30-2010, 3:55 PM
Even a drug dealer is allowed to defend himself and rightfully so.

I suppose they are at much higher risk than most of us :rolleyes:

Legasat
03-30-2010, 4:17 PM
C'mon you guys. Salt Lake City is one of the safest cities in the USA. They are not perfect, and they have their problems, but let's get real.

Friar_Tuck
03-30-2010, 7:16 PM
The average misdemeanor 187 convictee in CA serves only 7 years....Utah seems harsh in comparison.

(moral of the story: DO NOT kill anyone important/rich....)

383green
03-30-2010, 7:53 PM
The average misdemeanor 187 convictee in CA serves only 7 years.

That's a felony, not a misdemeanor.

MoBait
03-30-2010, 8:27 PM
I'm pretty sure it's a misdemeanor if it's your first offense.

383green
03-30-2010, 8:37 PM
187 = murder. Murder is not a misdemeanor, and misdemeanors have sentences of no more than one year, by definition.

Evolution05
03-30-2010, 9:00 PM
I just moved from Utah and have lived their for years. 1st - tons of people have CCW permits in Utah and carry both open and concealed with a loaded mag, not like here. The Utah CCW is by far the most widely accepted. As a Wyoming resident I was able to get my CCW in Utah and it's accepted in some 30+ state for non utahns and 40+ for Utah residents. I don't know about gang laws but you'd be an idiot to try and rob a C-store etc because chances are their is at least one civilian inside who's carrying. As far as the laws go, all I know is that they still execute by firing squad, hanging and lethal injection and actually do the job once and while which is more than most states can say. I feel ridiculously oppressed 2nd amendment wise here so don't hate on Utah too much. Seems like the good are loosing their rights left and right here and the criminals are still doing their thing all the time know the law abiding citizens are less protected all the time.