PDA

View Full Version : Mohave Desert Camping / Coyote Hunting Next Week

Gunfighter420
03-29-2010, 5:59 PM
Any Calgunners going out there next week besides Delta10? My son and I will be getting there Monday morning and leaving Wednesday afternoon with Delta10 and his son. Going to rough it in the primitive camping spots out there and we'll be splitting up with two way radios when we hunt.

Big Jake
03-29-2010, 7:05 PM
Any Calgunners going out there next week besides Delta10? My son and I will be getting there Monday morning and leaving Wednesday afternoon with Delta10 and his son. Going to rough it in the primitive camping spots out there and we'll be splitting up with two way radios when we hunt.

The Mojave Desert is a big place! You did not say where you were going to camp in the Mojave. If you are interested in a great spot to camp/hunt then check out the thread titled "Camping Weekend" in the camping forum.

Start looking at the posts from page 16 on and you will see all the info. on a phenomenal spot that we went to. Any questions you have about the spot post them and I will be happy to share.

FYI, it is illegal in California to hunt with 2 way radios so be careful!

Good luck!:)

Gunfighter420
03-29-2010, 7:15 PM
I think I saw that about two way radios somewhere. May be the DFG book. Not sure if there's cellular service out there so thought it would be just a way of communicating with my cousin if there was an emergency or someothing. We'll be in the Preserve somewhere.

LloydXmas250
03-29-2010, 8:32 PM
I think I saw that about two way radios somewhere. May be the DFG book. Not sure if there's cellular service out there so thought it would be just a way of communicating with my cousin if there was an emergency or someothing. We'll be in the Preserve somewhere.

You will either have to go as a group on a hunt or just not be in communication with each other. It's illegal to use and even have a two way radio in your possession when hunting.

Gunfighter420
03-29-2010, 8:41 PM
Sorry for the noob question but what's the big deal about walkie talkies?

CavTrooper
03-29-2010, 8:52 PM
You will either have to go as a group on a hunt or just not be in communication with each other. It's illegal to use and even have a two way radio in your possession when hunting.

Llyod, please post up the relevant regulation that leads you to belive this is true.

Thank you.

Abesnake
03-29-2010, 9:29 PM
I don't know about the regs, but my iPhone worked fine out there 2 weeks ago on that camping trip. I wouldn't use a Foxpro or other electronic caller either, though. I was told by the enchant hunter who taught me my Safety Course that they are illegal in Ca. too. Had it out with Big Jake over this. He says,"But they sell'em". I still say you can buy lots of things that are illegal to use. What's the definitive speak on that one Lloyd?

Gunfighter420
03-29-2010, 9:39 PM
You CAN use electronic callers. I copied this from the DFG webite from their regs book...

475. Methods of Take for Nongame Birds and Mammals.
Nongame birds and mammals may be taken in any manner except as follows:
(a) Poison may not be used.
(b) ) Recorded or electrically amplified bird or mammal calls or sounds or recorded or electrically amplified imitations of bird or mammal calls or sounds may not be used to take any nongame bird or nongame mammal except coyotes, bobcats, American crows and starlings.

In my case I'll be hunting coyotes.

5shot
03-29-2010, 9:40 PM

Unless the law has changed recently, it's perfectly legal to have FRS radios or other two way radios with you when hunting.
What is illegal in the eyes of some wardens is using radios to guide people toward game.

DirtyDave
03-29-2010, 9:51 PM
I don't know about the regs, but my iPhone worked fine out there 2 weeks ago on that camping trip. I wouldn't use a Foxpro or other electronic caller either, though. I was told by the enchant hunter who taught me my Safety Course that they are illegal in Ca. too. Had it out with Big Jake over this. He says,"But they sell'em". I still say you can buy lots of things that are illegal to use. What's the definitive speak on that one Lloyd?

Small game
(h) Electronic or mechanically-operated calling or sound-reproducing devices are prohibited when attempting to take resident game birds;

Non-game
(b) Recorded or electrically amplified bird or mammal calls or sounds or recorded or electrically amplified imitations of bird or mammal calls or sounds may not be used to take any nongame bird or nongame mammal except coyotes, bobcats, American crows and starlings.

StraightShooter
03-29-2010, 9:57 PM
Unless the law has changed recently, it's perfectly legal to have FRS radios or other two way radios with you when hunting.
What is illegal in the eyes of some wardens is using radios to guide people toward game.

This is correct, it is only illegal to use the radios to guide people towards game. I have a set of the garmin radios that show you where your buddies are whenever you communicate. They came in really handy when I went to alaska last on a bear hunt. My dad and I were about a mile apart in the dense woods and he was able to find me quickly and help me haul it out and then go back out and get himself a bear the same day. Previously we had to just yell out to try to find eachother but then if any other game is in the area its long gone.

LloydXmas250
03-30-2010, 7:54 AM
Misread it. Sorry about that. Read too fast when I looked it up the first time. Although in my Hunter Safety class they also said illegal because it could be used to call in animals for a hunter destroying fairness of the chase. He was also the old guy who didn't seem to like any technology when hunting. He would bash on e-callers every second he got. Again. Sorry about the mistake. I just remember what he said, looked it up and posted after reading incorrectly. I blame the small font on my iphone. haha

Big Jake
03-30-2010, 9:19 AM
This is correct, it is only illegal to use the radios to guide people towards game. I have a set of the garmin radios that show you where your buddies are whenever you communicate. They came in really handy when I went to alaska last on a bear hunt. My dad and I were about a mile apart in the dense woods and he was able to find me quickly and help me haul it out and then go back out and get himself a bear the same day. Previously we had to just yell out to try to find eachother but then if any other game is in the area its long gone.

Keep in mind that the incident you are talking about occured in Alaska where 2 way radios may be legal. Here in Kali they are not!:chris:

CavTrooper
03-30-2010, 9:42 AM
Read the regs BigJake.

PatriotnMore
03-30-2010, 9:48 AM
http://www.dfg.ca.gov/QandA/2008/20080605.asp

Question:

"It seems to me that at every duck club where I’ve hunted, everybody has a two-way radio to communicate with each other. These guys will use these radios to advise their buddies in the next blind down the pond when a flock or a big “greenhead” is about to drop into their set of decoys. Is this legal? I have heard that it is not legal but would like to know the real scoop. (Jeff, Santa Cruz)
Answer:

While many may argue that this practice is unethical and unsportsmanlike, according to Capt. Liz Schwall, there are no laws on the books against it. Although this practice may give the hunters doing it an unfair advantage over the game, a law banning this practice would be extremely difficult to enforce."

Big Jake
03-30-2010, 12:03 PM
Read the regs BigJake.

I just did read them and I stand corrected! :yes:

hnoppenberger
03-30-2010, 1:50 PM
damn fun police up in here!!!