PDA

View Full Version : Why Is DOJ Making up Arrest Dates???

Strpd_Up_Brotha
03-29-2010, 3:37 PM
I Went with my friend to purchase a gun on Feb 12th......its March 29th and he still hasn't received his firearm. First it was tickets...he took care of that. Second he had an old case, they wanted a disposition. I Went with him myself to court when he pulled up his records....nothing we saw in 99'...now she calls saying she needs a disposition in a case from 99'.....WTF????...My friend is clearly upset... i guess he called one day ..the lady wasn't there so he asked her another lady said she sent his name to The D.E.A.....it seems like this lady has something against my friend....IDK???

Scratch705
03-29-2010, 3:39 PM
maybe she is trying to validate her job by making stuff up. i mean they are cutting jobs.

Ksmash01
03-29-2010, 5:36 PM
Sorry that happened to your friend. I hope all goes well.

artherd
03-29-2010, 5:37 PM
Call DOJ back, and ask for the statutory authority for the denial based on pending charges. (hint, there isn't one - though they're trained to think there is.)

Strpd_Up_Brotha
03-29-2010, 5:41 PM
Call DOJ back, and ask for the statutory authority for the denial based on pending charges. (hint, there isn't one - though they're trained to think there is.) Thanx.....!!!!!

tyrist
03-29-2010, 6:35 PM
I Went with my friend to purchase a gun on Feb 12th......its March 29th and he still hasn't received his firearm. First it was tickets...he took care of that. Second he had an old case, they wanted a disposition. I Went with him myself to court when he pulled up his records....nothing we saw in 99'...now she calls saying she needs a disposition in a case from 99'.....WTF????...My friend is clearly upset... i guess he called one day ..the lady wasn't there so he asked her another lady said she sent his name to The D.E.A.....it seems like this lady has something against my friend....IDK???

Did you guys check the court in the correct county? He could have charges in another jurisdiction.

the_natterjack
03-29-2010, 7:28 PM

They may have him confused with someone else with the same name? or maybe someone has stolen his identity? He needs to get on top of this ASAP or he may find himself being booked for a crime he didn't commit. Stranger things have happened.

Brian

zeke2517
03-29-2010, 8:31 PM
My wife had the same issue this afternoon. We checked some paperwork and called the DOJ directly since this "Gun store" couldnt give us answers. we found that the gun store entered her name 3x in the same DOJ backround and they denied her becuase she purchased "3" handguns in the last 30 days. The STUPID gun store ran her maiden name, married name and a hyphenated combo of the two names as 3 different backrounds for the same person. . not DOJ fault. GUN STORE FAULT. they understand that this will get figured out on their dime, not mine. and i will get $$ each day they are late getting my wife her weapon.

oddjob
03-29-2010, 11:17 PM
A restraining order of some type will do it too. Your friend going through a divorce? It happened to people I know.

Kharn
03-30-2010, 3:00 AM
and i will get $$ each day they are late getting my wife her weapon.Good luck with that one. :rolleyes:

MindBuilder
03-30-2010, 5:40 AM
Actually, I think there is a federal prohibition against buying guns if you're under felony indictment. However, in many cases I think you can still keep the guns you already own. I read about this when someone I knew got a felony arrest for shoving a woman, even though there was no injury, because the cops turn misdemeanors into felonies so they can make an arrest when they could only give a citation if it was a misdemeanor and they didn't see it happen. I could have been tricked though into thinking it was the law when it really wasn't, because I don't remember if I read the actual law or just an inaccurate interpretation.

tenpercentfirearms
03-30-2010, 7:49 AM
My wife had the same issue this afternoon. We checked some paperwork and called the DOJ directly since this "Gun store" couldnt give us answers. we found that the gun store entered her name 3x in the same DOJ backround and they denied her becuase she purchased "3" handguns in the last 30 days. The STUPID gun store ran her maiden name, married name and a hyphenated combo of the two names as 3 different backrounds for the same person. . not DOJ fault. GUN STORE FAULT. they understand that this will get figured out on their dime, not mine. and i will get $$ each day they are late getting my wife her weapon.

LOL. Please tell us which gun store this is. I will call them and let them know that not only is that completely unnecessary, but it just cost them an extra $50. The first DROS she ran should still be valid, so you shouldn't be out anything. Additionally, the gun store doesn't owe you anything based on their stupidity. If they choose to pay, then clearly this is a good gun shop to go to because they clearly don't like to make money.

yellowfin
03-30-2010, 8:43 AM
Exactly where is the justice in the Department of Justice? Can they please change the name to more accurately reflect what it is that they do? Unless of course they're like the fire department and then at very least they should be clear about their intention to extinguish justice.

SVT-40
03-30-2010, 12:24 PM

First your friend had unpaid citations which were his fault which delayed his firearm release.

Next an "old case" which obviously prohibited him from firearm ownership.

Just because the case started in 1999 does not mean the disposition would be in 1999. Most likely the disposition would be in a later year. It would be easy to match the court docket numbers to confirm which "case" was started in 1999 and when the disposition, conviction or exoneration was made.

Have your friend obtain a copy of the court docket for the appropriate case.

There may be some confusion If he has a "history" of arrests. He may want to obtain copies of all his court dockets.

So he can be sure he and the DOJ are talking about the same case.

Does your friend remember being arrested in 1999??

He should be able to remember if he was convicted or not. Or if any charges were actually filed.

If your friend is a prohibited party, the DOJ is not in the wrong. No one wants firearms being sold to prohibited persons.

Strpd_Up_Brotha
03-30-2010, 12:48 PM
First your friend had unpaid citations which were his fault which delayed his firearm release.

Next an "old case" which obviously prohibited him from firearm ownership.

Just because the case started in 1999 does not mean the disposition would be in 1999. Most likely the disposition would be in a later year. It would be easy to match the court docket numbers to confirm which "case" was started in 1999 and when the disposition, conviction or exoneration was made.

Have your friend obtain a copy of the court docket for the appropriate case.

There may be some confusion If he has a "history" of arrests. He may want to obtain copies of all his court dockets.

So he can be sure he and the DOJ are talking about the same case.

Does your friend remember being arrested in 1999??

He should be able to remember if he was convicted or not. Or if any charges were actually filed.

If your friend is a prohibited party, the DOJ is not in the wrong. No one wants firearms being sold to prohibited persons.

I Just talked to my friend. Get this.....now he says the lady said...OOPS i had the wrong date my mistake....WTF????? She says its another date now...and if he gets disposition it should be all good....Doesn't this seem fishy???

unusedusername
03-30-2010, 1:10 PM
I Just talked to my friend. Get this.....now he says the lady said...OOPS i had the wrong date my mistake....WTF????? She says its another date now...and if he gets disposition it should be all good....Doesn't this seem fishy???

There was this quote about getting a real job, or working for the government...

I would not think they are making up dates, probably just mis-reading stuff out of their database.

Considering the DOJ has to process DROSs from all over CA, they must get hundreds of requests per day. Nobody is going to remember individual cases in a situation like that.

Strpd_Up_Brotha
03-30-2010, 1:15 PM
There was this quote about getting a real job, or working for the government...

I would not think they are making up dates, probably just mis-reading stuff out of their database.

Considering the DOJ has to process DROSs from all over CA, they must get hundreds of requests per day. Nobody is going to remember individual cases in a situation like that.
Smells fishy to me.....Don't they have a computer monitor right there to look at? Not buying that....Seems funny

unusedusername
03-30-2010, 1:27 PM
Smells fishy to me.....Don't they have a computer monitor right there to look at? Not buying that....Seems funny

If you are really worried about it you could hire you local lawyer, Oaklander, to file a FOIA (freedom of information act) request for the files on your behalf...

In about a month you'll get a copy of whatever is in their database and you can see what a mess most government databases are :eek:

I've always wanted to try that once myself, but never gotten enough of a reason to do it :chris:

Strpd_Up_Brotha
03-30-2010, 1:28 PM
If you are really worried about it you could hire you local lawyer, Oaklander, to file a FOIA (freedom of information act) request for the files on your behalf...

In about a month you'll get a copy of whatever is in their database and you can see what a mess most government databases are :eek:

I've always wanted to try that once myself, but never gotten enough of a reason to do it :chris: Not me.....my friend....should be good now since lady said " she messed up".

Strpd_Up_Brotha
03-30-2010, 1:42 PM
He Just left court again....like we saw on monitor..no cases...THIS LADY IS REALLY PLAYING GAMES.....Now she is saying fax another disposition over...What disposition if its no case.......she is making me upset, and its not even my gun!!!!!!!!!!

rkt88edmo
03-30-2010, 1:51 PM
He Just left court again....like we saw on monitor..no cases...THIS LADY IS REALLY PLAYING GAMES.....Now she is saying fax another disposition over...What disposition if its no case.......she is making me upset, and its not even my gun!!!!!!!!!!

Her stories don't sound any fishier than your posts. :eek:

JBird33
03-30-2010, 2:10 PM

Exactly what I was thinking...I do like the finger on the trigger fella in his avatar who is trying to look tough while teacupping his handgun, however.

Maestro Pistolero
03-30-2010, 3:29 PM

This from a moderator? How about we take the guy at his word until we have evidence to the contrary? Why people, especially a moderator, would chime in with a backhanded, disparaging comment like this, while offering no useful information is beyond me.

Strapped Up, I'm glad you have thick skin. I hope you stick around, and I hope you are are successful in helping your friend sort this out.

Exactly what I was thinking...I do like the finger on the trigger fella in his avatar who is trying to look tough while teacupping his handgun, however.

You're no better than RTK. How about we treat our fellow members here with a little respect? What is it with some of the clowns here? Offer something helpful, or just close your pie-hole.

rkt88edmo
03-30-2010, 4:21 PM
Or it could just be that there isn't anything fishy at all, and searching for the fishiness is all on the seeker.

gvbsat
03-30-2010, 5:25 PM
This from a moderator? How about we take the guy at his word until we have evidence to the contrary? Why people, especially a moderator, would chime in with a backhanded, disparaging comment like this, while offering no useful information is beyond me.

Strapped Up, I'm glad you have thick skin. I hope you stick around, and I hope you are are successful in helping your friend sort this out.

You're no better than RTK. How about we treat our fellow members here with a little respect? What is it with some of the clowns here? Offer something helpful, or just close your pie-hole.

Or maybe you didnt read some of the past posts in other threads. I am sure I am not the only one with the BS meeter going off just a little. Thats my opinion, and we all know opinions are like belly buttons, everybody has one.

But I do hope it works out in your favor.

Strpd_Up_Brotha
03-30-2010, 6:36 PM
I have no reason to make up stories, this really happened. Yeah my skin is very thick....I don't trip off what some of these clowns say. Thank you M.P for having my back. It seems as majority of these guys on here just want to start some kind of flame war....Yeah i might have asked some stupid questions.But its better to ask here with educated individuals than go out and do things without knowing the law like some of you guys here.I will stick around. I wont let some offhanded comments by people who have nothing else better to do rile me up...........And by the way my friend is clear now. I ts funny i see the same Avatars and things but everyone attacks me...I LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! look at inbox 456 avatar ...pointed at us.....yet i never see anyone give him any grief.. I guess because his post count is higher than mine its ok.

obeygiant
03-30-2010, 9:27 PM
Or maybe you didnt read some of the past posts in other threads. I am sure I am not the only one with the BS meeter going off just a little. Thats my opinion, and we all know opinions are like belly buttons, everybody has one.

But I do hope it works out in your favor.

I read them and have seen his posts on other threads and so far the BS meter hasn't moved a micron. What is interesting sad is to see how this young man is being treated by several members on this board.

ke6guj
03-30-2010, 9:31 PM
:iagree:

oaklander
03-30-2010, 9:35 PM
Send me a PM with your phone number, and I will call you tomorrow. This probably is not something that the Calguns Foundation can help with, but I think I might personally be able to help.

:)

anthonyca
03-30-2010, 9:42 PM
I have no reason to make up stories, this really happened. Yeah my skin is very thick....I don't trip off what some of these clowns say. Thank you M.P for having my back. It seems as majority of these guys on here just want to start some kind of flame war....Yeah i might have asked some stupid questions.But its better to ask here with educated individuals than go out and do things without knowing the law like some of you guys here.I will stick around. I wont let some offhanded comments by people who have nothing else better to do rile me up...........And by the way my friend is clear now. I ts funny i see the same Avatars and things but everyone attacks me...I LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! look at inbox 456 avatar ...pointed at us.....yet i never see anyone give him any grief.. I guess because his post count is higher than mine its ok.

Good job on not giving up. Was there an arrest with no conviction, or wasthe DOJ just mistaken? Isn't it great dealing with the government?

cntrolsguy
03-30-2010, 9:52 PM
I read them and have seen his posts on other threads and so far the BS meter hasn't moved a micron. What is interesting sad is to see how this young man is being treated by several members on this board.

Seriously this place is starting to look more n more like Barfcom, Give the guy some breathing room. He's just trying to try and help out a friend! Lay off guys if you have nothing constructive to say!:mad: