PDA

View Full Version : Selling my Shotty to a friend

cwiz
03-29-2010, 1:23 PM
I did a quick search on transfering a shotgun and couldn't find what i'm looking for.

I bought my Mossberg 500A from a store in Ohio about 3-4 years ago. I brought it with me when I moved to CA 2 years ago and read on the certguns website that shotguns do not need to be registered.

Now I am going to upgrade to a 590 and my friend from college who is living in LA wants to buy the 500. Do we need to go through a FFL or do a DROS etc to make this sale on the up and up? I'm confused if they do want us to pay the fees and fill out the paper work considering I never had to register it in the first place :confused:

Thanks all :)

rct442
03-29-2010, 1:26 PM
That's correct that you never had to register the Mossberg 500 when you moved here from Ohio, but to "transfer" it to you're friend it needs to be DROSed and go through a FFL.

Edit*** The PPT "transfer" fees are $35, so not a big deal.

SJgunguy24
03-29-2010, 1:27 PM
The sale has to be registred and a 4473 needs to be done for the transfer. Take it to a dealer.

otteray
03-29-2010, 4:05 PM
It's called a "shotgun."
Shotties exist in the minds of juvenile delinquents, gang bangers and middle school drop outs...

sfwdiy
03-29-2010, 4:15 PM
It's called a "shotgun."
Shotties exist in the minds of juvenile delinquents, gang bangers and middle school drop outs...

I knew that was coming, it was just a matter of when. :p

--B

FastFinger
03-29-2010, 4:23 PM
I knew that was coming, it was just a matter of when. :p

--B

I was waiting also - surprised it took as long as it did.

Hopefully someone will jump in with a clip/mag post, and maybe even a "DUPE" post or two,then I can die a complete person.

otteray
03-29-2010, 4:39 PM
I was waiting also - surprised it took as long as it did.

Hopefully someone will jump in with a clip/mag post, and maybe even a "DUPE" post or two,then I can die a complete person.

I wasn't able to log on earlier.:rolleyes:
What's wrong with helping a CG brother learn the language?
If I went to a AR forum I wouldn't know squat about the nomenclature and would welcome any help on the subject.
No harm intended w/ my post. Just a gentle nudge in the right direction.

paul0660
03-29-2010, 4:43 PM
Thanks for the new sig, FF

ETD1010
03-29-2010, 5:15 PM
It's called a "shotgun."

Well I, for one, own a couple. Who cares what you call it? I'm neither of those catagories.

FastFinger
03-29-2010, 5:45 PM
Please don't take my comments to seriously!

Here's the bottom line for me... I want to see as many law abiding people buy and use guns in a safe, legal, responsible manner as possible. I see them as serious, but fun, tools. If a group of people wants to call the "shotties", or "Scatter guns" - fine, just stay legal and safe.

Some owners hold firearms up a reverend icons, place holders for freedom and liberty, America, etc. And those are attributes that I can appreciate. On the other hand we should not make it all so stuffy and insiders-only that it turns off potential owners and like minded newbies.

As long as they keep the muzzle down range and finger off the trigger until they're ready to fire, I say let 'em use whatever terminology people understand - and when they say "shotty" I know exactly what they mean.

coltn46920
03-29-2010, 7:24 PM
It's called a "shotgun."

remember shotties don't take clips:p except maybe a saiga

otteray
03-29-2010, 8:11 PM
Please don't take my comments to seriously!

Here's the bottom line for me... I want to see as many law abiding people buy and use guns in a safe, legal, responsible manner as possible. I see them as serious, but fun, tools. If a group of people wants to call the "shotties", or "Scatter guns" - fine, just stay legal and safe.

Some owners hold firearms up a reverend icons, place holders for freedom and liberty, America, etc. And those are attributes that I can appreciate. On the other hand we should not make it all so stuffy and insiders-only that it turns off potential owners and like minded newbies.

As long as they keep the muzzle down range and finger off the trigger until they're ready to fire, I say let 'em use whatever terminology people understand - and when they say "shotty" I know exactly what they mean.

Yes, calling a shotgun "a shotgun" does seem pretty darn stuffy. You got me there.:confused:

Fot
03-29-2010, 8:25 PM
It's called a "shotgun."

Wrong, Wrong, wrong it's a Boom Stick!!!!!!

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Twtvr4e7O2M&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Twtvr4e7O2M&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

elSquid
03-29-2010, 11:42 PM
It's called a "shotgun."

In the 1959 post-apocalyptic classic "Alas Babylon (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alas,_Babylon)" the author uses the term "shotty".

I had a really good laugh when I came across that word, and resolved to use it myself from that day forwards...

:D

It's a good book, btw.

-- Michael

Seesm
03-30-2010, 12:23 AM
(Gangsta gangsta your so thug" (lyrics from that new train song)

Only thugs really call them shottys.... I am just saying. :)

cwiz
03-30-2010, 9:24 AM
:rolleyes:
i'm not a juvenile delinquent, gang banger and middle school drop out, far from it. If i was, would I be making a post about how to legally transfer my boom stick to my buddy?

I got the term 'shotty' from playing a lot of first person shooters... maybe gangsters just play too much counter strike? Don't think so. pretty sure they are mostly nerdy, pastey skinned white boys like myself. :innocent:

CSACANNONEER
03-30-2010, 10:26 AM
remember shotties don't take clips:p except maybe a saiga

But, there are many models of shotguns which take detachable magazines!

ke6guj
03-30-2010, 11:13 AM
But, there are many models of shotguns which take detachable magazines!

I wonder if there are any 12ga stripper clips out there:cool:

RideIcon
03-30-2010, 9:02 PM
whats a shotty? do you mean a boom stick?

obeygiant
03-30-2010, 9:37 PM
Army of Darkness FTW!
Ash: Alright you Primitive Screwheads, listen up! You see this? This... is my boomstick! The twelve-gauge double-barreled Remington. S-Mart's top of the line. You can find this in the sporting goods department. That's right, this sweet baby was made in Grand Rapids, Michigan. Retails for about a hundred and nine, ninety five. It's got a walnut stock, cobalt blue steel, and a hair trigger. That's right. Shop smart. Shop S-Mart. You got that?