PDA

View Full Version : Any Quail or Dove hunters here?

cannon
03-29-2010, 8:44 AM
I just found a quail and dove goldmine 20 miles north of Barstow. Tons of feed, water and thus birds. Best part is that it's free state land to hunt on.

DirtyDave
03-29-2010, 8:49 AM
I sure do. cant wait til september

professionalcoyotehunter
03-29-2010, 8:56 AM
when I have time I do.

Bearclaw
03-29-2010, 9:15 AM
does a bear s@#t in the woods????

cannon
03-30-2010, 8:31 AM
I was out at this place and the caretakers have Quail drinkers spread out and they grow grass for the dove's, quail and rabbits.

Lots of bunnies but the quail are FAT!

LloydXmas250
03-30-2010, 8:43 AM
Who are these caretakers? And if they're caring for the quail and rabbits why would they let them be hunted? If they do and it's public land that may be considered baiting.

professionalcoyotehunter
03-30-2010, 8:48 AM
only if you hunt over the bait is it baiting. if it is all gone and they are conditioned to go to that area for food even when not present than it is not baiting.

Just another loop hole.:D

03-30-2010, 6:52 PM
send me a pm with the location. I want to go when the season comes. Just picked me up a shotgun for that very reason.

ChaparralCommando
03-30-2010, 9:31 PM
20 miles north of Barstow you'd be close to the edge of China Lake/Fort Irwin. I just looked at the land status maps and the BLM land is really checkboardy out there with some state land mixed in. How do you know the state land is huntable? Often hunting is not allowed on state land unless they are DFG operated, AFAIK. If someone is managing wildlife out there it might be on the private land out there, watch out.

Ism415
03-30-2010, 9:55 PM
ME ME ME!!! ill be out side of sierra ville

LloydXmas250
03-30-2010, 10:15 PM
I still find this a little weird. Not to rain on any parades just trying to be cautious. If it's state land, who is growing the grass and maintaining this habitat to attract dove and quail?

AEC1
03-30-2010, 11:06 PM
I love the little grey darts!!! I have a great little honey hole out in the imperial valley that aint crowded and I always limit out before 10 am then hit the river!!!

5shot
03-30-2010, 11:53 PM
Sounds like Camp Cady. If it is, it's state land that has "Quail Unlimited" volunteers that take care of the property and water sources.

LloydXmas250
03-31-2010, 12:14 AM
Just looked up Camp Cady. Seems very nice. Is the feed and water that is looked after by the group stopped once the season opens then or is there some other way around that not being baiting? I'll have to go up and check out this place for myself as well. Does anyone know when the 10-11 regs are going to come out?

cannon
03-31-2010, 7:26 AM
Sounds like Camp Cady. If it is, it's state land that has "Quail Unlimited" volunteers that take care of the property and water sources.

BINGO!!! QU and others have volunteer caretakers there now. They're adding drinkers and land. As you drop into the Mojave River from I 15. Look to your right and you'll see a pivot arm. Thats a field they'll be growing grass for the birds to eat and hide in. You can hunt there too.

As always when you are at Cady or by the pivot arm. Park in the designated area. Fill out the card and go hunting or just look around.

I was up there for historical research and talked to the caretakers and they were real positive about folks coming by to look around and hunt. They will also let you bring your Boy and Girl Scouts troops there for a day or weekend and put together a conservation experience for them. Neat place.

professionalcoyotehunter
03-31-2010, 8:29 AM
Do I hear a Calguns quail hunt coming later this year? I know some great places out my way.

5shot
03-31-2010, 11:14 AM
Just looked up Camp Cady. Seems very nice. Is the feed and water that is looked after by the group stopped once the season opens then or is there some other way around that not being baiting? I'll have to go up and check out this place for myself as well. Does anyone know when the 10-11 regs are going to come out?

We've been involved with funding various Camp Cady projects for many years. They are basically restoring old water sources by removing invasive plants like salt cedar that suck up natural Mojave River ground water, They're also repairing old wells and building ponds with the well water.
They plant and water fields that provide food for upland game. Since these are growing plants, they are not considered baited areas.
During the season, there is fair to good upland bird hunting there. The immediate area is shotgun only because of some residences around the Camp. But if you drive out a bit, you can rifle hunt varmints and deer.

LloydXmas250
03-31-2010, 11:44 AM
We've been involved with funding various Camp Cady projects for many years. They are basically restoring old water sources by removing invasive plants like salt cedar that suck up natural Mojave River ground water, They're also repairing old wells and building ponds with the well water.
They plant and water fields that provide food for upland game. Since these are growing plants, they are not considered baited areas.
During the season, there is fair to good upland bird hunting there. The immediate area is shotgun only because of some residences around the Camp. But if you drive out a bit, you can rifle hunt varmints and deer.

Thanks for the info. Sounds very nice and close by to me. How crazy does this place get during the seasons, particularly the opening? Do they have maps and people to talk with about boundaries at its headquarters? I may have to do some scouting in the near future. I was only wondering about the baiting because the TC made it sound as if the caretakers were planting and watering with the direct reason to get game in the area for hunting season and that sounded odd. If they're conducting a conservation program that brings natural plants and wildlife that's a whole different thing to me. Thanks for the info.

tortoisethunder
03-31-2010, 11:48 AM
I'm in let's do a hunt this year. I usually hunt alone, not many of us out there! Lets get together BEFORE Sept. and check the land?

Mike

5shot
03-31-2010, 11:59 AM
More info:
http://www.dfg.ca.gov/lands/wa/region6/campcady.html

professionalcoyotehunter
03-31-2010, 12:01 PM
I'm in let's do a hunt this year. I usually hunt alone, not many of us out there! Lets get together BEFORE Sept. and check the land?

Mike

I can show you around my area but I guarantee there are many people whre I hunt.

FEMUN
03-31-2010, 8:11 PM
Count me in