PDA

View Full Version : Iowa becomes shall issue state

vantec08
03-29-2010, 5:57 AM
http://www.qctimes.com/news/state-and-regional/iowa/article_5713d3fc-3a18-11df-966d-001cc4c002e0.html

another state gets it right

campperrykid
03-29-2010, 6:13 AM
Wow , the reform bill was backed by the Izaak Walton League.
Gotta wonder about the final vote count in the House?

yellowfin
03-29-2010, 6:16 AM
Looks good but let's not count the chickens before they're hatched. Will the governor sign it?

vantec08
03-29-2010, 6:34 AM
From what I gather it sounds like the Guv. will sign on.

CCWFacts
03-29-2010, 7:12 AM
Looks good but let's not count the chickens before they're hatched. Will the governor sign it?

Yeah. I seem to remember Iowa has tried before. Also, in many / most states, governors have vetoed it and it has had to pass by overriding the veto.

ZombieTactics
03-29-2010, 9:09 AM
Under the bill, Iowans who need to carry a gun for their job could get a permit starting at 18. Otherwise, applicants would have to be 21 to get a nonprofessional permit. Permits could be denied for alcohol addiction or probable cause based on documentation of past actions that an applicant might use a weapon in a way to endanger himself, others or the public safety. Anyone convicted of misdemeanor assault within the prior three years could be denied a permit. Several other federal and state disqualifiers apply.

The permit fee would increase from $10 to $50 for five years with a $25 renewal fee. Although training would be required to obtain a permit, permit holders could qualify on a firing range to renew their permits.

That wasn’t often enough for Sen. Steve Sodders, D-State Center, a deputy sheriff. He wanted to require annual training, the same as is required of law enforcement.

SF 2379 also allows residents of other states with valid permits to carry concealed weapons in Iowa.

A person denied a permit by a sheriff could appeal through an administrative law process and district court.
So much of this is just common sense. Even Senator Sodders' concern wasn't a completely silly one.

Gray Peterson
03-29-2010, 9:13 AM
Fat lady hasn't sung yet. The Senate passed it. Now it's up to the House. That vote should be today.

D-Man
03-29-2010, 9:32 AM
Does anyone know which states that Iowa will have reciprocity with? It says they will recognize other "states" permits, curious to know whose, or is it all others?

Have not seen the exact text of the bill.

Gray Peterson
03-29-2010, 9:48 AM
Does anyone know which states that Iowa will have reciprocity with? It says they will recognize other "states" permits, curious to know whose, or is it all others?

Have not seen the exact text of the bill.

They will recognize all out of state licenses.

Glock22Fan
03-29-2010, 10:01 AM
They will recognize all out of state licenses.

Gray,

When you make a statement like this, do you mean "All out Of State, including those issued to non-residents?

Too many states say they recognize All CCW's only to put in the small print "provided they are issued to residents of the issuing state."

You are quite probably correct and I am being pedantic, but that's how I am.

nicki
03-29-2010, 10:59 AM
Don't know what will happen in IOWA with final bill, but the resident/non resident ccw issue may be a "moot point" post MacDonald and the follow up lawsuits that will fcollow.

Iowa's pending passage will raise the number of shall issue states to 40.

The next question is will any other states fix their laws before Fed court action.

Nicki

Window_Seat
03-29-2010, 12:24 PM
SF 2379 also allows residents of other states with valid permits to carry concealed weapons in Iowa.

Utah/Florida CCW permit folks, as well as other states have some updating work to do (if & when passed).:thumbsup: I'm waiting for Colorado to start accepting OOS permit/licenses now.

Erik.

orangeusa
03-29-2010, 12:51 PM
If this passes, I might move BACK to the farm!!! (still have one there!!!)
Snowwwwwwwwww but "gun friendly" state. Ammo galore... :)

UPDATE: Just read it passed the HOUSE (29-Mar-2010) and just needs the Governor's signature to pass as law..... Please verify if you can....

Anybody know the odds that the Governor will sign?
And does this imply reciprocity (i.e. honoring out of state CCW's)?

KylaGWolf
03-29-2010, 1:04 PM
So much of this is just common sense. Even Senator Sodders' concern wasn't a completely silly one.

No offense to LEOs but having them only qualify once a year is silly anyways. Then again a lot of departments only require that for qualification.

vantec08
03-29-2010, 1:29 PM
Good point nicki. The resident/nonresident thing will become a giant nothing after McDonald sets things right, because the 2nd amendment doesnt stop at state lines. I suspect the few big-state holdouts (CA, NY, NJ etc) wont do squat until post McDonald gets them in a headlock and farts in their faces.

socalblue
03-29-2010, 2:56 PM
No offense to LEOs but having them only qualify once a year is silly anyways. Then again a lot of departments only require that for qualification.

Budget (and ammo availability to some extent) issue for agencies. Won't change until they are on the losing end of a large judgement.

Most in CA qualify at least 1/4, with most bi-monthly or monthly. My old agency was 10x per year pistol & 2x for shotgun.

press1280
03-29-2010, 3:52 PM
Wow , the reform bill was backed by the Izaak Walton League.
Gotta wonder about the final vote count in the House?

80-15.

press1280
03-29-2010, 3:55 PM
If this passes, I might move BACK to the farm!!! (still have one there!!!)
Snowwwwwwwwww but "gun friendly" state. Ammo galore... :)

UPDATE: Just read it passed the HOUSE (29-Mar-2010) and just needs the Governor's signature to pass as law..... Please verify if you can....

Anybody know the odds that the Governor will sign?
And does this imply reciprocity (i.e. honoring out of state CCW's)?

My info says:
Yes, on to the governor, who has stated before he'll sign!
I believe Iowa will accept ALL non-res permits, only Iowans will have to have their own permit.

Strpd_Up_Brotha
03-29-2010, 4:31 PM
Another one bites the dust! CA is next!

I hope so.......:cool:

Glock22Fan
03-29-2010, 4:45 PM
My info says:
Yes, on to the governor, who has stated before he'll sign!
I believe Iowa will accept ALL non-res permits, only Iowans will have to have their own permit.

Colorado should have done this. Instead, they banned all non-res premits because one *******le from Colorado was refused a Colorado permit and then got himself out of trouble by using one from out of state.

Ding126
03-29-2010, 4:53 PM
Can wait for the headlines to say " California Becomes a Shall Issue State "

sniper5
03-29-2010, 6:11 PM
NO!! NO!! California cannot become shall issue!!!! Blood will run in the streets just like it has in all those other. . . oh, wait. . .it hasn't.

Cokebottle
03-29-2010, 6:24 PM
NO!! NO!! California cannot become shall issue!!!! Blood will run in the streets just like it has in all those other. . . oh, wait. . .it hasn't.
Indeed.... just think of the kittens!

Legasat
03-29-2010, 6:42 PM
Ohhhh....to live in a free State....

Someday

Canute
03-29-2010, 6:50 PM
I'm shocked that Wisconsin is still no-issue. Illinois, sort of, except Chicago has been run by the Daley monarchy for so long. Two supposedly conservative meat and potatoes midwestern states...

bulgron
03-29-2010, 7:17 PM
I'm shocked that Wisconsin is still no-issue. Illinois, sort of, except Chicago has been run by the Daley monarchy for so long. Two supposedly conservative meat and potatoes midwestern states...

Wisconsin has come close to going shall-issue a number of times, and the bills have even passed out of the legislature with enough votes to over ride a gubernatorial veto, but they have a governor who is willing to pull out all the stops to kill any such bills. Apparently there's been some nasty back room discussions over that. The word 'blackmail' has been whispered to me a few times. The good people of Wisconsin are going to have to replace their governor if they want shall-issue CCW.

Gray Peterson
03-29-2010, 8:09 PM
Wisconsin has come close to going shall-issue a number of times, and the bills have even passed out of the legislature with enough votes to over ride a gubernatorial veto, but they have a governor who is willing to pull out all the stops to kill any such bills. Apparently there's been some nasty back room discussions over that. The word 'blackmail' has been whispered to me a few times. The good people of Wisconsin are going to have to replace their governor if they want shall-issue CCW.

Governor Doyle will be gone in january 2011. It's basically Scott Walker v. Tom Barrett for 2010 Governor's race.

bulgron
03-29-2010, 8:21 PM
Governor Doyle will be gone in january 2011. It's basically Scott Walker v. Tom Barrett for 2010 Governor's race.

How do you know? I was under the impression that Wisconsin didn't term limit the Governorship.

bulgron
03-29-2010, 8:22 PM
Never mind. Just answered my own question:

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0809/26145.html

CCWFacts
03-29-2010, 11:03 PM

I assume that whoever wins there won't have the fervent opposition to CCW that Gov. Doyle has, so they'll probably get it in 2011?

I know WI came very very close. Basically they passed their Personal Protection Act (?) a couple of times by margins high enough to override the veto. But then when the vote came to override the veto, they had a couple of legislators who flip-flopped, losing by razor-thin margins (one or two votes). I think it was a very frustrating experience for those who worked so hard for it.

Hopefully with Doyle out of the race it will be an election issue and they will have a smooth course to passing it.

Edited: It looks like one of the leading Democratic options for WI gov is Tom Barrett, who probably is about as anti-CCW as Doyle is. The leading Republican in the race is strongly pro-CCW and would certainly sign it.

If WI wants to go shall-issue they need to make sure that Tom Barrett doesn't win.

press1280
03-30-2010, 2:07 AM
Colorado should have done this. Instead, they banned all non-res premits because one *******le from Colorado was refused a Colorado permit and then got himself out of trouble by using one from out of state.

That sucks, because CO could have written the law so all reciprocal permits are recognized(res and non-res) as long as they are not a CO resident. WV had the same law and changed it this year.

Miltiades
03-30-2010, 4:08 AM
I was born and raised in Iowa but left there many years ago. I am so glad that this fine state finally got its act together. And if Iowa will accept reciprocity from other states it will be a bonus. I am hoping that my Utah, Florida and Arizona permits will fly in Iowa. I was planning a trip back there in 2011.

Now if we could just get California to do something.

yellowfin
03-30-2010, 4:32 AM
WI has had the advantage of having unlicensed OC with case law protecting it so they're a considerable leap ahead of the other selective to no issue states. CCW is something they should have too, of course, but at least they're a good bit ahead of UOC and insider issue. I'd say the biggest target for impact other than CA would be NJ or MD. Iowa shows that a reasonable state can eliminate May Issue, so it really pares it down to the bad ones remaining.

Mulay El Raisuli
03-30-2010, 5:30 AM

Yes, it is. The average citizen doesn't need to have the same training as a cop.

The Raisuli

yellowfin
03-30-2010, 5:33 AM
The average citizen, as we've pointed out here and elsewhere time and time again, has more firearms experience than the average cop.

Window_Seat
03-30-2010, 6:10 AM
House approves CCW bill (http://www.globegazette.com/articles/2010/03/29/news/latest/doc4bb1670c8c940222070881.txt#vmix_media_id=121624 86)

So it's on the Gov's desk, and it ain't over until he either signs it, or leaves it alone until it becomes law.

Erik.

CCWFacts
03-30-2010, 9:03 AM
WI has had the advantage of having unlicensed OC with case law protecting it so they're a considerable leap ahead of the other selective to no issue states.

WI-OC may be unlicensed, but it's useless because of the school zone issue. It's not a practical option for anyone in an urban area.

So it's on the Gov's desk, and it ain't over until he either signs it, or leaves it alone until it becomes law.

It passed overwhelmingly and the news reports say he is expected to sign it. Yippee. Another state goes shall-issue.

bulgron
03-30-2010, 9:11 AM
It passed overwhelmingly and the news reports say he is expected to sign it. Yippee. Another state goes shall-issue.

Once the Iowa bill becomes law, every state west of the Mississippi except for California and Hawaii will be shall-issue CCW.

Tell me again what's so different about California or Hawaii that their residents can't exercise their 2A rights, but the entire rest of the western United States can?

Big Jake
03-30-2010, 9:28 AM
Another victory for our side!

Glock22Fan
03-30-2010, 9:36 AM
That sucks, because CO could have written the law so all reciprocal permits are recognized(res and non-res) as long as they are not a CO resident. WV had the same law and changed it this year.

Yes, I wrote to the Gov'ner and told him I was often in Utah near the four corners, but I wouldn't be crossing the border and spending my dollars in Colorado if he signed that bill without having them make that change. Naturally, he totally ignored me.

Glock22Fan
03-30-2010, 9:40 AM
Once the Iowa bill becomes law, every state west of the Mississippi except for California and Hawaii will be shall-issue CCW.

Tell me again what's so different about California or Hawaii that their residents can't exercise their 2A rights, but the entire rest of the western United States can?

We keep getting told, by our own members, that there's something different about Californians that means that we can't be trusted with firearms the same as the rest of the states, because we don't have a "gun culture."

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

CCWFacts
03-30-2010, 9:47 AM

Oh, Bulgron, totally different. Californians in Oakland, San Francisco and LA are much more violent, uncontrollable and criminally-inclined than residents of Houston, Detroit, Miami and Philadelphia. There would be blood in the streets and shoot-outs over parking spaces if people in Marin could get CCWs!

We keep getting told, by our own members, that there's something different about Californians that means that we can't be trusted with firearms the same as the rest of the states, because we don't have a "gun culture."

I actually do think that is true. We don't have a gun culture. That's why training requirements make more sense here than in, say, Alaska. I have friends who are clueless about guns but would gladly start carrying one if they could, without getting any training. Even something as simple as the NRA's quick intro course would help prevent a lot of accidents.

bulgron
03-30-2010, 9:48 AM

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Every time I go to a shooting range around here I find out that it's full of people shooting. Looks like a shooting culture to me.

The only thing different about California and Hawaii is that these states are being controlled by people who hate and fear the electorate. Then again, when you're in the business of robbing the electorate blind, hating and fearing it is sort of the natural response.

Untamed1972
03-30-2010, 9:59 AM

Because we have libtards in control of our state government and mostly corrupt, power hungry sheriffs in charge of issuing CCWs.

sniper5
03-30-2010, 10:53 AM
How do you expect the sheriffs to raise money for their reelection campaigns if they don't have some "perks" to offer their big contributors?

Glock22Fan
03-30-2010, 10:59 AM
snip
Even something as simple as the NRA's quick intro course would help prevent a lot of accidents.

What accidents? I keep asking but a number of you, although you are sure that there is a problem, keep being unable to produce the statistics to prove your point.

Very much like the Brady bunch, whether you think you are being "reasonable" and they aren't, or not.

orangeusa
03-30-2010, 11:03 AM
I started this thread on another website for responses from Iowa folks.
(Mods: Sorry about link to another website, but didn't want to copy a post w/o a reference - esp in 2A section)...

See post #3
http://www.berettaforum.net/vb/showthread.php?p=568100#

"I am pretty sure the Gov., Chet Culver (former U.S. Senator John Culver's son), will sign the bill, although the polling is pretty even. The thing is I think a lot more people would vote against him for not signing than would vote against him for signing, and he knows it.

There is a lot of stuff in the bill, mostly good. To deny a permit, the local sheriff would have to articulate his specific reasons in writing, and an appeal would be to a hearing officer, not district court. Permits would be good for 5 years (instead of 1), but the permit holders would have to re-qualify at every renewal. I am a certified peace officer (former LEO) so I am hoping I will be exempt from having to re-qualify. Iowa would honor a carry permit from any other state. The issuing authority cannot put any restrictions on the permit (i.e. mine says not valid on premises where alcohol is served). I think the uniformity is a good thing. As it is now, some sheriffs give permits to virtually everyone who applies for one, other sheriffs give out almost none. "

Does this sound familiar?? haha

Strpd_Up_Brotha
03-30-2010, 11:52 AM

Tell me again what's so different about California or Hawaii that their residents can't exercise their 2A rights, but the entire rest of the western United States can? MILLION DOLLAR QUESTION!!!!!!!!!!!

Strpd_Up_Brotha
03-30-2010, 11:56 AM
Oh, Bulgron, totally different. Californians in Oakland, San Francisco and LA are much more violent, uncontrollable and criminally-inclined than residents of Houston, Detroit, Miami and Philadelphia. There would be blood in the streets and shoot-outs over parking spaces if people in Marin could get CCWs! WTF???? Detroit,Miami,Philadelphia...clearly you need to get your head out of the sand.........The same things go on there too.....:willy_nilly: Detroit is worse than Oakland...

bulgron
03-30-2010, 1:37 PM
WTF???? Detroit,Miami,Philadelphia...clearly you need to get your head out of the sand.........The same things go on there too.....:willy_nilly: Detroit is worse than Oakland...

Woa, careful. CCWFacts is one of the good guys. He knows full-well there's nothing different between Oakland and Detroit. It's just that he didn't indicate his sarcasm through a mechanism other than his own words. (If only there was a clearly-defined Sarcasm smiley on this site.)

CCWFacts
03-30-2010, 2:35 PM
Woa, careful. CCWFacts is one of the good guys. He knows full-well there's nothing different between Oakland and Detroit. It's just that he didn't indicate his sarcasm through a mechanism other than his own words. (If only there was a clearly-defined Sarcasm smiley on this site.)

Hehe, thanks Bulgron.

Yes, in fact I would say that Detroit has even more severe problems than Oakland or anywhere in California. Whatever situation they are afraid of in California already exists somewhere else in a shall-issue location in the US, usually to a more extreme degree.

Some people are afraid of immigrants and guns. Well, Miami has been shall-issue for over 20 years and it's full of immigrants, and no evidence of problems. Some people are afraid of blacks and guns (this is the historical root of most gun control in the US). Well, Mississippi has the highest percent population of blacks of any state (37%) and it's shall-issue. Atlanta is also an urban majority-black city with vast crime problems, and it's shall issue, and they don't have instances of criminals somehow getting or using CCWs. Some people are worried about poor people and guns. There are plenty of poor people in the rural states, which are all shall-issue, and again, no evidence of CCWs causing problems.

Some people are afraid of liberals and guns. Well, Seattle is shall-issue and they don't have shoot-outs over carbon footprints there, AFAIK, although it is is something that concerns me.

bulgron
03-30-2010, 2:58 PM
Some people are afraid of immigrants and guns. ...

I'm afraid of my wife with a gun, but in that I have nothing else to blame except for my lazy ways.

*oops* Did I say that outloud? :confused: :o

hollabillz
03-30-2010, 2:58 PM
Some people are afraid of liberals and guns. Well, Seattle is shall-issue and they don't have shoot-outs over carbon footprints there, AFAIK, although it is is something that concerns me.

:rofl:

California goes Shall Issue
In other news..
Rabid electric vehicle driver shoots Prius driver, allegedly in a dispute over the "dust-to-dust" impact of hybrid cars.

Glock22Fan
03-30-2010, 5:27 PM
I'm afraid of my wife with a gun, but in that I have nothing else to blame except for my lazy ways.

*oops* Did I say that outloud? :confused: :o

My wife shoots better than I do, and I have her permission to say so. :43:

markw
03-30-2010, 7:37 PM
Woot! Eventually I'll move back there. Kinda miss it, too much common sense there. :) We could use it out here.

As for Wives with guns, just don't get them anything in a caliber you can't survive being hit by. :)

ALSystems
03-31-2010, 7:25 AM
As for Wives with guns, just don't get them anything in a caliber you can't survive being hit by. :)
I guess that better be an airsoft gun or a rubber band gun.:D