PDA

View Full Version : We needed 50 CGN'ers-5 SHOWED UP

AndrewMendez
03-29-2010, 12:25 AM
Calling All Calgunners
The Bristow Shooting Range in the City of Commerce needs our help RIGHT NOW!!
We need:
Calgunners at the meeting (April 6th @ 6:30pm) speaking up for the Range (PM me if your going to attend, every speaker needs to fill out a 'public comment' card to address the City Council, I am unsure if you can give your card to another speaker )

5655 Jillson Street.
Commerce, 90040
The council chambers are in the Central library the two wooden doors to the right when entering thru the south entrance

If you are not able to attend we ask you please help out with Emails, and Phone Calls

Contact Info: City of Commerce City Council

Robert C. Fierro robertcfierro@aol.com
Hugo A. Argumedo hugo.argumedo@ngc.com
Joe Aguilar joea@ci.commerce.ca.us
Lilia R Leon & Mayor Tina Baca del Rio don't have public email addresses.

Letters can also be written and submitted to the City Clerk, ask that they be read during public comment for the April 6, 2010 Council meeting regarding the Bristow Marksmanship Range.
323 722-4805 Commerce City Hall

Keep em Clean and Respectful, The City Council is an ally, they just dont know it yet.

thank you all and good luck.

Here is some background information about the Bristow shooting range and the City of Commerce.
Range is owned and operated by the City of Commerce
Its operation is not like a business but rather, provided as a City Service
They are in the business to provide services to City of Commerce Residents FIRST, almost regardless of the cost
The City offers its 13,000+ residents a low cost shooting range
The City also has a Junior rifle program which includes
o Safe sport
o Character building

I think these points are of absolute importance to the message we should send to the City of Commerce. I suggest the message should be Thank You. We should thank the City Council for educating their citizen, teaching firearms safety, good sportsmanship and tradition and by making it a community/city service at a low cost to their citizens and by taking these positive positions on our Shooting Sport, they are helping the citizens enjoy their 2A rights.

At the very least I would like everyone to send an email and thank the City of Commerce for hosting such an awesome program and Encourage them to continue.

For more information please see:
http://bristowmarksmanshiprange.webs.com/

Grakken
03-29-2010, 7:26 AM
Good luck Andrew. I hope you have a good turnout.

NightOwl
03-29-2010, 8:31 AM
Might be worth tracking down that guy from the Oakland city council meetings. Sinji, was it?

AndrewMendez
03-29-2010, 12:49 PM
Good luck Andrew. I hope you have a good turnout.

Thank you

Might be worth tracking down that guy from the Oakland city council meetings. Sinji, was it?

Thats a good idea!! Anybody know who he is?

KylaGWolf
03-29-2010, 1:06 PM
Andrew good luck. Although not sure how anyone from outside the area contacting the mayor would do any good but I will if it might save the range.

jnojr
03-29-2010, 3:01 PM
Yup, good luck, and I hope more Calgunners in the area see this and how up!

AndrewMendez
03-29-2010, 4:21 PM
Andrew good luck. Although not sure how anyone from outside the area contacting the mayor would do any good but I will if it might save the range.

I wrote to the mayor from my personal email address, my old work email address and my Realtor email address, did the same thing with my gf's email, then i went to a friends house and used his and his gf's! I know I am weird like that. I simply thanked the Mayor for his support (all the letters where different) and encouraged the city to promote such a great project. Neither email received a response, and no where in their did I say I was or was not part of the city.

Thanks for the Good Lucks guys! Please send out those emails!

advocatusdiaboli
03-29-2010, 5:14 PM
I feel for you all down there and I hope it turns out alright--Californai needs more places people can learn and train not fewer.

But be prepared to deal with reality. Sale tax revenues make up the largest slice of municipal gov't revenue sources and many cities are hurting. Many will have to make drastic cuts in non-essential services (read anything outside of public safety, public works, and development), look for new sources of revenue, privatize many former services, privatize maintenance, cut benefits and salaries, slash employment, sell off parks, golf courses, and other city properties, and even cut some essential services. California state and municipal gov'ts have been chronic over-spenders and the chickens are coming home to roost. Most cities I know of are projecting short falls well into 2012 so this is just the beginning. If they cannot save it I hope they find an organization to run it and keep it open.

Good luck.

AndrewMendez
03-29-2010, 5:39 PM
I feel for you all down there and I hope it turns out alright--Californai needs more places people can learn and train not fewer.

But be prepared to deal with reality. Sale tax revenues make up the largest slice of municipal gov't revenue sources and many cities are hurting. Many will have to make drastic cuts in non-essential services (read anything outside of public safety, public works, and development), look for new sources of revenue, privatize many former services, privatize maintenance, cut benefits and salaries, slash employment, sell off parks, golf courses, and other city properties, and even cut some essential services. California state and municipal gov'ts have been chronic over-spenders and the chickens are coming home to roost. Most cities I know of are projecting short falls well into 2012 so this is just the beginning. If they cannot save it I hope they find an organization to run it and keep it open.

Good luck.

We actually have the NRA backing us on this event, the original hearing was in February, and the NRA asked for a 4-6 week delay to gather up interest and gather the facts. The largest argument the city has is that 4 out of 12 random house test showed levels of Lead that where higher then the rest, and was actually low enough to be washed away by a small rain storm. When the range was built the houses where not there. I am not worried to much about our argument, and I probably wont even talk, I may defer my card to another speaker. What I am looking for is a SHOW OF FORCE! A few decent to well dressed diverse men and Women, who will show support with their butts in those seats. You do not have to talk, and its a great place to meet up with other calgunners. Thanks for the support!

AndrewMendez
03-29-2010, 6:14 PM
Fortunately or unfortunately depending how you look at Commerce situation, the City has over 20 million in reserves, with 6 million allocated for a library renovation, 1.2 million being seriously considered for upgrading the City's (new) pool building. The City Administrator would like to have a violin play while he and the rest of the Citys management cry to the City Council that the range is not 'cost effective' in our current financial state. they summed up the Feb 16 Range agenda review with this " Should a City of our size and resources, given todays priorities and challenges, continue to operate a firing range as a recreational asset with limited benefit to our residents?"
I say Hell yes.

;) Thanks for checking in. Feel free to add anything you would like!

AndrewMendez
03-30-2010, 12:37 PM
I hear PennysDad is buying a round for everyone coming....;) (He just doesn't know it yet)

So far we are at 3 people......47 More?

Doug L
03-30-2010, 12:58 PM
...and I probably wont even talk...

You really do need to speak!!! Otherwise, the council members will have no clue as to why you are there.

Don't worry about appearing suave and articulate. Almost everyone gets nervous speaking in public.

Just express your position, that the range should remain open for the benefit of the community....or whatever your own specific reasons might be.

As John Wayne might have said, "Stand up like a man!"

AndrewMendez
03-30-2010, 1:22 PM
You really do need to speak!!! Otherwise, the council members will have no clue as to why you are there.

Don't worry about appearing suave and articulate. Almost everyone gets nervous speaking in public.

Just express your position, that the range should remain open for the benefit of the community....or whatever your own specific reasons might be.

As John Wayne might have said, "Stand up like a man!"

Good point, maybe I should get in front of my mirror and practice a couple lines.

AndrewMendez
03-30-2010, 6:19 PM
Wow, this goes down fast, Where are my socal CGN'ers at?
Am I the only one who sent emails?

jdberger
03-30-2010, 6:35 PM
C'mon, SoCal folks!

Don't let us Bay Area Calgunners show you up!

Andrew - give me a couple days and I'll scribble up some talking points.

Think benefit to the community, one of the few industries that's experienced growth in the last couple years, taxes go toward wildlife restoration, training for new shooters, fun and safe entertainment (there's some stat out there that says that shooting is safer than bowling), enjoying the outdoors, something people of all ages can do.....

AndrewMendez
03-30-2010, 6:38 PM
C'mon, SoCal folks!

Don't let us Bay Area Calgunners show you up!

Andrew - give me a couple days and I'll scribble up some talking points.

Think benefit to the community, one of the few industries that's experienced growth in the last couple years, taxes go toward wildlife restoration, training for new shooters, fun and safe entertainment (there's some stat out there that says that shooting is safer than bowling), enjoying the outdoors, something people of all ages can do.....

Thanks for the support. ;)

jdberger
03-30-2010, 6:54 PM
Did some quick reading....

Only 209 people used the range last year?

Is there a secret door or something?

AndrewMendez
03-30-2010, 9:48 PM
Did some quick reading....

Only 209 people used the range last year?

Is there a secret door or something?

I have no idea. That blows me away, I read that a couple days ago. Andrew Mendez thinks once it reopens we have a Shoot N Que there! Add an extra 30 new people right there!

So I am going to assume that nobody has sent an email?!?!

dark_ninja
03-30-2010, 10:03 PM
I didn't know there was a range in Commerce? I am in to help even if it's emails. I'll get started on the emails tomorrow morning.

AndrewMendez
03-30-2010, 10:22 PM
Thank You. I replied to your PM.

sreiter
03-30-2010, 11:12 PM
if i'm in town - i'll go...i'll ping you if i'm around...i should be, but not guaranteed

AndrewMendez
03-30-2010, 11:27 PM
if i'm in town - i'll go...i'll ping you if i'm around...i should be, but not guaranteed

Sounds good. Are you familiar with the area?

steadyrock
03-31-2010, 11:16 AM
I'm an industrial resident of Commerce, and a past member of the range. 95% sure I will be there next week.

AndrewMendez
03-31-2010, 4:44 PM
I'm an industrial resident of Commerce, and a past member of the range. 95% sure I will be there next week.

Awesome!! Thanks for the support.

pennys dad
03-31-2010, 5:34 PM
I will be there and I have sent my emails. Excellent response here.

AndrewMendez
03-31-2010, 5:48 PM
I will be there and I have sent my emails. Excellent response here.

Thanks for checking in Jacob.

Spelunker
03-31-2010, 7:22 PM
Holy Crap!!!! I drive by there every day on the 5 fwy and had no idea it was there. I think I may have to go there tomorrow and get the gold membership. I am 95% sure I can make the meeting but I get out of work at 6:30 so I should make it by 6:40. I can probably bring my co-worker also. I'd be nice to meet some local calgunners.

So we are down to 45 more needed, maybe I can talk my two brothers into going along.

AndrewMendez
03-31-2010, 9:06 PM
Holy Crap!!!! I drive by there every day on the 5 fwy and had no idea it was there. I think I may have to go there tomorrow and get the gold membership. I am 95% sure I can make the meeting but I get out of work at 6:30 so I should make it by 6:40. I can probably bring my co-worker also. I'd be nice to meet some local calgunners.

So we are down to 45 more needed, maybe I can talk my two brothers into going along.

Yup! Only 45 more needed! I sent a PM to 300 Southern Californians, maybe we can work some more magic. I will more then likely be able to bring my GF as well, so 44?

zeke2517
03-31-2010, 9:11 PM
Im in. I have never shot there, and i have nothing to say. Just want to support the SoCal chapters.

FastFinger
03-31-2010, 9:22 PM
Email on its way, and I may be able to show up.

Actually it sounds like a good range to join. Their site states that with membership you have free use of their pistols - what do they have?

Mute
03-31-2010, 9:43 PM
I'll definitely get an email out to them. Didn't even realize this range existed.

AndrewMendez
03-31-2010, 9:47 PM
only10x, I added your email addresses to the OP, thank you. Disregard the PM.

xMAC1x
03-31-2010, 9:51 PM
I sent an email.

AndrewMendez
03-31-2010, 10:23 PM
I sent an email.

awesome! Thank You!

iRIGHTi
04-01-2010, 8:54 AM
if i'm available i'll be there. may be in AZ though. :(
will get on the e-mails! :cool:

jdoane9724
04-01-2010, 10:15 AM
Please add me to list of attendees

Thanks

AndrewMendez
04-01-2010, 10:28 AM
The people coming or maybe coming have been added to the list. I will shoot you guys a PM with my cell phone number.

Lyte-
04-01-2010, 5:48 PM
anyone coming up from the OC?

how is the parking situation secure for motorcycles?

Lyte-
04-01-2010, 7:14 PM
I have a heavy duty lock I could throw in my tail bag but is there something to secure the motorcycle to like a fixed item bolted to the ground?

I have theft insurance but I would like to have a ride home afterwards :)

AndrewMendez
04-01-2010, 7:50 PM
lyte, do you still have my cell number?

Mr Wizard
04-01-2010, 8:45 PM
I sent a heartfelt message of thanks to the Mayor and council members. I hope it helps.

AndrewMendez
04-02-2010, 8:00 AM
Here ya go
FBI agents arrested a City of Commerce councilman this morning after a grand jury indicted him and two family members for allegedly trying to hide illegal campaign contributions.

Robert C. Fierro, 39, the mayor pro tem of the industrial suburb, also is accused of telling a friend to lie to the FBI. His sister-in-law Ana Perez allegedly lied before the grand jury, and the politician’s wife, Linda Fierro, 36, also faced charges, including witness tampering.

Assistant U.S. Atty. Bruce Searby said the councilman was trying to obscure large contributions that he allegedly had obtained illegally during his election to City Hall in 2005. Searby said such gambits manipulate voters, who are blinded to potential conflicts of interests that may allow the people they elect to “operate in the shadow of influence.”

“The public is entitled to know who is truly funding an election campaign,” Searby said Thursday. “There could be a hidden agenda behind a candidate, a hidden source of influence behind a candidate for office.”

Fierro, a grade-school teacher who has worked as a probation officer, has not been reached for comment.

According to the indictment, family members and friends of the then-candidate each wrote $500 checks to Fierro’s campaign in January 2005, when he was first running for office. Fierro then allegedly reimbursed the contributions by paying them $1,000 in cash to conceal the true source of campaign funds.

Searby called contributions from such apparent backers "conduit" or "straw" contributions, designed to circumvent limits on campaign contributions and hiding a source of illegally excessive donations.

“Let’s say I’m trying to help you win an election, and I want to give you $10,000 instead of $500,” Searby said. “Then what I may do, and this is illegal, is to get a bunch of people to write $500 checks to you and pay them back. The big guy behind the scenes masks [his] involvement in the campaign.”

-- Hector Becerra

Lyte-
04-02-2010, 9:34 AM
lyte, do you still have my cell number?

yes it should be in my PM's somewhere

Lyte-
04-02-2010, 9:40 AM
there are parking post. tie it up to the rim of a cal gunners car :chris:

hahaha i need pictures of all cal gunners who will be attending car... if you find a blue and white bike chained to your rim come get me :43:

AndrewMendez
04-03-2010, 11:06 AM
BUMPIDY

Lyte-
04-04-2010, 9:49 AM
bumpy anyone else joining us?

AndrewMendez
04-04-2010, 1:07 PM
Lyte, I have nice open rim on my Pontiac G6, you are more then welcome to slide your cable thru it!

Last push guys and gals!

Lyte-
04-05-2010, 11:40 AM
Lyte, I have nice open rim on my Pontiac G6, you are more then welcome to slide your cable thru it!

Last push guys and gals!

:43:

see you there tomorrow

weather looks good.

is there any good place to eat around there?

AndrewMendez
04-05-2010, 9:13 PM
Wow, the 6th came fast. See you all there. Make sure to freshen up on your speaking in front of the mirror.

bigkahuna04
04-06-2010, 12:39 AM
sent e-mails to the city officials.....my personal experience and feelings of the Bristow Range.

sorry I can't join you guys at the meeting...

Please post your report of what happened there.

jdberger
04-06-2010, 9:09 AM
bump this one to the top....

Lyte-
04-06-2010, 11:08 AM
speaking ummmm andrew prepare me a speach!

Cobrarlc
04-06-2010, 12:05 PM
I will be there in Spirit. All the best. Does the CRPA know about this?

zeke2517
04-06-2010, 12:34 PM
sorry dude. . last minute trip to Mammoth, cant make it tonite. .

Lyte-
04-06-2010, 12:45 PM
So who is all going?

pennys dad
04-06-2010, 3:00 PM
i am

AndrewMendez
04-06-2010, 3:27 PM
Lyte, I don't have an exact because some people where bringing friends. I would guesstimate we are still about 42 people short of 50.

Lyte-
04-06-2010, 3:52 PM
ummm well im coming I would drag the anti socal BF but he actually has to work.

See you guys when I get there

Lyte-
04-06-2010, 4:36 PM
okay leaving the house see you when i get there!

steadyrock
04-06-2010, 7:48 PM
BUMP

Thanks for all the Calgunners who were able to attend - I work in Commerce and have shot at this range several times, although sadly family obligations prevented me from coming tonight.

Can anybody give a recap of what went on?

jdberger
04-06-2010, 10:19 PM
Updates!
Updates!

pennys dad
04-06-2010, 10:34 PM
It was voted closed

AndrewMendez
04-06-2010, 11:24 PM
We only had 5 Calgunners there. :(

Chuck Michel was there for the NRA, he sat right in front of us. I would have liked to pick his brain a little but I did not know it was him til he went up to talk, and he left very shortly after. I don't think the City Council cared to listen to him though. I went up to talk as well as SpartanDSK, I was terribly nervous and misread a couple things I tried to get across. I briefly talked about CGN and how they could use it as a way to promote more members to come, but they seemed more concerned with who can give them grant money, when the city didn't want to take the time to see if spending the money would get them where they wanted with the range. I also asked them to not only get a second opinion, but a 3rd and 4th as well.
All seemed well until the very end, it appeared they where going to delay it til the NRA could send someone in to get a REAL number to fix the problem, as 1 private company quoted it would cost MILLIONS to fix everything. When in reality the only thing that probably needed to be changed was the HVAC System. That costing 2 Million...well, I am still scratching my head over it. All is not lost, they still need to vote on what they will do with the range as the clean up will cost hundreds of thousands, and redo'ing may not cost that much. All in all, a good learning experience, I would have really liked to see more Calgunners getting involved with the RKBA, because if we don't do it....nobody else will.

bigkahuna04
04-06-2010, 11:26 PM
that is tough to hear...

AndrewMendez
04-06-2010, 11:38 PM
that is tough to hear...

It is indeed, I think we put up a good fight. I don't think the answers where anywhere near as clear as they needed to be, 3 of the 5 council members agreed to the let the NRA and 1 other company come in a take a look, and we can go from there. Then the Mayor said, we need a motion tonight, the most anti of them all came up with it, they second it, and voted to close the range.

dark_ninja
04-07-2010, 6:34 AM
I feel bad... as always something has to come up. But I've been in your shoes. You did your best guys,not many have the courage to do what you did!

pennys dad
04-07-2010, 7:04 AM
To be fair to the decsion there was one very good point that I think really drove the closure home, the building that hosts the range may not be reopened due to structural issues, the building was built on a sinking land fill lot and it was repaired but there where still unknown issues around the stability.

Few things i learned about a city council meetings:
Conspiricies exhist everywhere!
We need to consider the children all the time!
Eat before you go!
Opinions are like a**h*les and everyone really does have one!
and lastly, if you go and want to speak be prepared.

Thank you Andrew for driving this effort in the 2a section
Thank you Andrew and Wally (SpartanDSK) for speaking on behalf of Bristow
Thank you Lyte- for attending and not! getting me lost

Lyte-
04-07-2010, 4:16 PM
You forgot have a blackberry so you can text the person sitting next to you!

How ever I agree with Pennysdad. Also based on the #'s presented to them by the single company they contracted to give them an estimate I would vote the range closed as well. It would be more cost effective to build a new range somewhere else.

As someone in the meeting pointed out I feel the #'s were way off. They were highly inflated either to have a huge margin or sway the vote. based on the information that they were provided they made the only decision they could have. Of course they only had limited information because the city attorney is a SOB who stone walled the NRA and wouldn't comply with the agreement to allow them to inspect the building.

It was also pointed out that the marketing for the range was zero as residents of the city sitting in front of us said they didn't even know there was a range. A lot of us found out they had a turkey shoot for the first time yesterday!

Oh and another thing I learned! The next time a city council member is indited for ANY CITY I am so at the next meeting for the entertainment value alone!

FastFinger
04-07-2010, 4:30 PM
Likewise a big thanks to Andre and the others who put themselves out there for this project!

advocatusdiaboli
04-07-2010, 8:52 PM
Sorry on the outcome--I am in NorCal and couldn't be there due to work commitments. Kudos to all who fought when called upon. Losing is tough to take, but you cannot win if you don't show up.

AndrewMendez
04-07-2010, 9:01 PM
Likewise a big thanks to Andre and the others who put themselves out there for this project!

Thank you

PennysDad and Lyte are correct. There where other questions that only further digging could have prevented. I think the 1 gal sitting to the right who gave the motion really screwed us. I really thought they would have given an extra 3 months to get a non biased opinion in there, and figure out what really needed to be done. Them giving the numbers for a backstop, and new target system was completely out of the picture, and had no business being included in the price tag. The deciding factor was they where unsure what the elevator shaft would cause in lead contamination. WHAT THE HELL DID THAT HAVE TO DO WITH THE HVAC SYSTEM!