PDA

View Full Version : How do you adjust elevation on Schmidt-Rubin K1911?

Super Spy
03-28-2010, 10:39 PM
I got my first C&R rifle since getting my license and took it out today to shoot it for the first time. The windage was dead on but the elevation was off quite a bit....so much so it was off the paper at 100 yards, at 25 yards it was shooting about 3-4 inches high. I can see how to adjust the windage on the front sight, but how do I adjust elevation? Even better if someone in the Bay Area could meet me at a range and help me out with this.

Thanks!

volstag
03-28-2010, 10:52 PM
very often, those old military guns were sighted in at 300 meters. so they will shoot very high at 100yds. you can try replacing the front sight post with a taller one, or filing a down the rear sight until it is on target. personally, i have used JB weld to add hight to a front sight. once hardened it is easily filed into the proper shape.

Spiggy
03-28-2010, 11:02 PM
^ too complicated, move your target back :D

Super Spy
03-29-2010, 10:05 AM
JB weld on a 100 year old collectible rifle? That's sacrilege! I appreciate the well intentioned suggestion, but if I can't fix it properly, I'll just leave it alone.....maybe I'll head to Chabot and try 200 yards and see what happens.