PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a store that sells the Bushnell Halosight or Eotech in the San Jose Area

C123K_LoadMaster
02-11-2006, 2:00 PM
I have never used a red dot sight on a rifle and I'm nearsighted and wear glasses for distance vision. Being 55 I can no longer focus close up while wearing glasses and was wondering if I would be able to use a red dot sight.

A friend of mine has an old Tasco red dot sight on a pistol that I checked out the other day. When I hold the Tasco sight near my eye like I would with a rifle the dot appears sharp while focusing on a distant object, but I get a secondary faint red dot about 6 dot sizes above the bright one. My friend does not see the faint red dot. I wonder if I will get a second dim image with a Bushnell or Eotech. Maybe my eyes are not compatible with red dot sights.

caliar15
02-11-2006, 2:21 PM
an eotech is not a traditional type of red dot, it is a true holographic image. I know it doesnt answer your question, call around i'll bet reeds might.

Sgt Raven
02-11-2006, 2:40 PM
PM me and we can get together and you can look through my EoTech 552. I'm in the same boat with older eyes and with the 552 I can wear my distance glasses instead of switching to my "shooting" glasses I would wear for iron sights.

Mud
02-11-2006, 4:06 PM
MidwayUSA has the Bushnel Holosight for $219.99 if you are interested.

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=326536

C123K_LoadMaster
02-11-2006, 6:31 PM
Thanks everyone for the feedback. I will try and go over to either Reed's or the Gun Exchange over the next few days.

TonyM
02-11-2006, 6:32 PM
As an FYI,

I wear contacts and this was a concern for me when I bought mine, my Aimpoint's dot isn't circular to my eyes, which is common from what I read. After I got it I realized it wasn't an issue.

If I try to focus on the 65 MOA ring of the Eotech it's very blurry. When I keep both eyes open and focus on the target looking through the EoTech it comes into focus perfectly as if it's imprinted on the target you are pointing at.

Definately check it out, but make sure you're looking through it correctly:

Both eyes open
Focus out on a target, not on the holograph image in the optic.

I'm 100% happy with mine, so much so that I think I'm going to sell my Aimpoint M2.

C123K_LoadMaster
02-11-2006, 6:35 PM
Sgt, thank you for the kind offer, but it will be awhile before I have time to make it to a range. The last time I was at the Scotts Valley Range was last June. Hope I get out again before next June.

PM me and we can get together and you can look through my EoTech 552. I'm in the same boat with older eyes and with the 552 I can wear my distance glasses instead of switching to my "shooting" glasses I would wear for iron sights.

Lon Moer
02-12-2006, 11:56 AM
When I hold the Tasco sight near my eye like I would with a rifle the dot appears sharp while focusing on a distant object, but I get a secondary faint red dot about 6 dot sizes above the bright one.
Red dot sights are designed to be used with both eyes open. They're also meant to be mounted out in front of the shooter, not up close. There are several makes of cantilever mounts that will push the optic even further away from the shooter.
Focus on the target not the dot, and use the rifle to push the dot to the target.