PDA

View Full Version : successful turkey opener

theseacow
03-28-2010, 8:46 PM
Change of pace this year for the opener. I was invited by Pieeater to one of his places to hit for the opening weekend as opposed to my usual places. We ran into some other hunters, and it altered our plans a little bit. We ended up hiking around a bit calling several different groups of birds. I ended up sitting on an ant nest and getting covered resulting in a bust on those particular birds. We had been busted a few times by some hens and had seen several good sized toms throughout the day. We ended up taking this nice tom which had 4 beards. The beard lengths were as follows:
10" fat beard which was as thick as 2-3 regular beards
9.25" beard
7" beard
6" beard

Total beard length was 32.25". Must be some kinda record. I have never even heard of a quadruple bearded turkey.
All the credit goes to Pie for the sweet spot and calling the thing in. He could have been the one to shoot it, but I just happened to be in a slightly better position when the split second window to shoot opened up.

Here is a quick pic. I will upload more when I have time.
http://img709.imageshack.us/img709/1712/trophyturkey1.jpg

CavTrooper
03-28-2010, 8:50 PM
nice!

congrats on the bird!

pieeater
03-28-2010, 9:02 PM
I wish the dumbass that took the pic would of got more of a frontal shot of the mainbeard instead of a sideshot to show the mass on it

theseacow
03-28-2010, 9:05 PM
I wish the dumbass that took the pic would of got more of a frontal shot of the mainbeard instead of a sideshot to show the mass on it

lol. u took some good ones. I'll post them when I can after I sort through them all. Trying to get the jump on work related stuff while surfing the great calguns.net hunting forum.

timmyb21
03-28-2010, 9:13 PM
Nice bird! I'm hoping to get one this week myself!

pieeater
03-28-2010, 9:13 PM
Damn that thing is a pig!!!!!

SexPistol
03-28-2010, 10:21 PM
Nice.. I saw about 15 gobblers at Rancho last week when I went on a hike with my gf and they look really fun to shoot.

LloydXmas250
03-29-2010, 6:45 AM
What is that box looking thing taped under the barrel of your gun? Also, was the public or private land? I'd guess public since you ran into other hunters. I've wanted to try turkey but in So Cal everyone goes to San Diego where there is quite a few birds but I've heard it's so crowded that it's no fun. Nice looking bird and good job on opening day.

Cougar125
03-29-2010, 6:51 AM
What is that box looking thing taped under the barrel of your gun?
Looks like a call to me.

PatriotnMore
03-29-2010, 7:59 AM
Very nice. Turkey is one of the hunting mile stones, tough birds to bag if you don't live in the area they roost, and lots of competition.

Bearclaw
03-29-2010, 9:27 AM
What is that box looking thing taped under the barrel of your gun? Also, was the public or private land? I'd guess public since you ran into other hunters. I've wanted to try turkey but in So Cal everyone goes to San Diego where there is quite a few birds but I've heard it's so crowded that it's no fun. Nice looking bird and good job on opening day.

It's a turykey call with a pull string. That way once you have a turkey in sight, you can have your gun up and ready, and still be able to call him if need be.

popndrop
03-29-2010, 9:31 AM
That is super cool - I've never seen a multi-bearded Tom like that before. Better have him stuffed.

Bearclaw
03-29-2010, 9:36 AM
seacow....Mucho Congrats on the 4 bearded bird!!!! I've never seen anything more than 2 beards, that's nuts! Looks like you and Pie had a great day out man. ahhh...good times....good times....

oh yeah....if you get that bird stuffed - you should have the taxidermist throw a little hair gel on those beards. Then it could have a mohawk coming off its chest!!! :punk:

center_x
03-29-2010, 10:35 AM
Thats a turkey! Freakin toad of the season so far. Congrats.

pieeater
03-31-2010, 8:39 PM
Thats a turkey! Freakin toad of the season so far. Congrats.

Its the toad of a thousand seasons, still cant get over the beard length on it.

jawbreaker
03-31-2010, 8:44 PM
Very good job on the gobbler. I have yet to get a turkey although I don't hunt them very often.
Are you going to mount it?

tmncali
03-31-2010, 9:11 PM
Very good job on the gobbler. I have yet to get a turkey although I don't hunt them very often.
Are you going to mount it?

Isn't that illegal?:eek: LOL

Good job, congrats with the hunt!

jawbreaker
03-31-2010, 9:39 PM
Isn't that illegal?:eek: LOL

Good job, congrats with the hunt!

Only if you get caught.

repomanNWP
03-31-2010, 9:42 PM
awesome bird, well done sir.

center_x
03-31-2010, 11:37 PM
I agree! Did he try to get the bird in the books??? I know they have record books for turkeys. I hope he did.

Its the toad of a thousand seasons, still cant get over the beard length on it.

Big Jake
04-01-2010, 5:39 AM
Can we have an early Thanksgiving? LOL!

pieeater
04-01-2010, 6:13 AM
I agree! Did he try to get the bird in the books??? I know they have record books for turkeys. I hope he did.
I think he is working on it.

Bearclaw
04-01-2010, 8:08 AM
I think he is working on it.

get it in the books seacow! There's got to be a place in there for a 4 beared tom....especially with the length of the "fat beard"!!! good luck man.

center_x
04-01-2010, 12:41 PM
Hope this works:

http://www.nwtf.org/all_about_turkeys/turkey_records.php

The link is in the center of the page "Wild turkey tools"

rumblebee
04-01-2010, 12:57 PM
Congrats and good luck with the books on that monster!!:eek:

Signed
Banned ;)