PDA

View Full Version : DROS failures-causes and consequences

Kerplow
03-28-2010, 5:27 PM
so there are about 294,584,384 different threads with the DROS in the title so needless to say, my searching was fruitless.

anyhow, my question is this:

Where can one find a list of all things that can cause one to fail DROS?

what happens if one fails DROS?

Will a pending traffic ticket cause me to fail DROS?

im sure this has been answered here before, but darned if i could find it!

thanks.

KylaGWolf
03-28-2010, 6:12 PM
The pending ticket should not cause you to fail DROS although if you don't pay the ticket then it could cause you to fail on DROS. If you fail it means no buying the gun you want to buy. Domestic violence charges could cause you to fail as could convictions for drugs. Or any felony or some other misdemeanors.

inbox485
03-28-2010, 6:54 PM
so there are about 294,584,384 different threads with the DROS in the title so needless to say, my searching was fruitless.

anyhow, my question is this:

Where can one find a list of all things that can cause one to fail DROS?

what happens if one fails DROS?

Will a pending traffic ticket cause me to fail DROS?

im sure this has been answered here before, but darned if i could find it!

thanks.

Basically either prohibiting misdemeanors, felonies, or unpaid fines. The other way is mis-identification. The best advice I've seen is that if you fail a DROS check, immediately sign an affidavit handing over any and all firearms to somebody you trust or a storage facility to store them away from your residence and hold them until the matter is resolved. Then aggressively find out in writing why you failed the DROS check.

bsim
03-28-2010, 7:46 PM
Meh - I "failed" DROS check for an un-updated court appearance. A phone call (plus the additional 6 days for DOJ to recieve the paperwork) was all it took.

inbox485
03-30-2010, 10:20 AM
Meh - I "failed" DROS check for an un-updated court appearance. A phone call (plus the additional 6 days for DOJ to recieve the paperwork) was all it took.

You example only went as well as it did, because you weren't mis-flagged as a prohibited person. If you were you probably would have had a pre-dawn visit from a certain group of Kevlar junkies.

OlderThanDirt
03-30-2010, 1:17 PM
Basically either prohibiting misdemeanors, felonies, or unpaid fines. The other way is mis-identification. The best advice I've seen is that if you fail a DROS check, immediately sign an affidavit handing over any and all firearms to somebody you trust or a storage facility to store them away from your residence and hold them until the matter is resolved. Then aggressively find out in writing why you failed the DROS check.

Why would you:

immediately sign an affidavit handing over any and all firearms to somebody you trust or a storage facility to store them away from your residence and hold them until the matter is resolved

if you are not a prohibited person? Unpaid fines or mistaken identity do not preclude firearm ownership. I recently found out that the Ventura County Superior Court thought I owed them money from an unpaid fine 10 years ago. I've DROSed a lot of firearms in spite of my delinquency, which I corrected when I rubbed the Court's nose with my receipt and cancelled check.

unusedusername
03-30-2010, 2:37 PM
Some county and cities PDs would love to use a "prohibited" person trying to DROS as an excuse for a raid.

Its much easier to get your guns back from the cops if the cops don't take them in the first place.

OlderThanDirt
03-30-2010, 2:50 PM
Some county and cities PDs would love to use a "prohibited" person trying to DROS as an excuse for a raid.

Its much easier to get your guns back from the cops if the cops don't take them in the first place.

I would imagine that the amount of money that one would win in the resulting civil rights lawsuit would more than pay for a bunch of new guns (assuming you live in a jurisdiction where the police violate your property rights and won't return your firearms). I don't believe in giving up a Constitutional right because someone screws up.

inbox485
03-30-2010, 5:29 PM

^^^THIS^^^

I would imagine that the amount of money that one would win in the resulting civil rights lawsuit would more than pay for a bunch of new guns (assuming you live in a jurisdiction where the police violate your property rights and won't return your firearms). I don't believe in giving up a Constitutional right because someone screws up.

First, I'm more concerned with having my house torn to crap and getting beat up or shot by trigger happy nut jobs.

Second, since they would be acting on good faith they would have qualified immunity and you would be lucky to get compensated for even actual physical damages.

magsnubs
03-30-2010, 7:14 PM
That's the only "tort reform" we're entitled to. If your car ins. lapses and you get hit, tough luck, the guy who hit you is in the clear. If the coppers destroy your house, and injure or kill you, you're outa luck. If you get a wet lap from Mcdonalds coffee, MILLIONS!