PDA

View Full Version : Are the prices better at online gun auctions?

nbx
02-10-2006, 7:37 PM
Are the prices better at online gun auctions? Do you get defective or blemished shotguns with online gun auctions? Which online gun auctions do you recommend?

http://nbox00.tripod.com

rocketboy
02-10-2006, 10:40 PM
If you want a good deal I would go to ar15.com and go to the equipment exchange boards. You will just about find whatever your looking for as long as you look often enough. Good deals also. Try subguns.com its not an auction it's a classified but they do have a nonNFA section so you can find non full auto weapons. A good general auction place is gun broker. They have a huge selection on everything!!!!!

As far as prices, everwhere is hit or miss. Used guns at AR15.com can be had at excellent prices as well as new guns. gunbroker can be a little high, but it depends on the dealer. I would go with classifeds over auctions for best pricing IMHO.

maxicon
02-11-2006, 10:29 AM
Online auctions are definitely a hit and miss. You have to trust that the description is accurate on used guns, so feedback ratings are important.

You also have to look at full cost to you, including transfer fees and shipping. Often, these bring the cost to what you'd pay a local dealer.

I'd second that the best deals are on the gun boards, like calguns, ar15.com, rimfirecentral.com, etc., but there's always a risk buying online.

I've had great luck on face to face transfers from gun boards.

max

glen avon
02-11-2006, 12:17 PM
depends what you want. they are hit and miss. they key is to do your homework (so you will recognize a good value), be very patient (until you actually see a good value), have a good FFL lined up, and get a 3-day non-firing inspection period. and don't forget to factor in all costs when comparing costs, i.e., FFL's cut, shipping, insurance if you want it, etc.

Bobshouse
02-11-2006, 1:36 PM
I shop them all, but I've only purchased once...keep getting outbid! I ended up getting my Cynergy at a price I haven't seen beat yet. It is a little risky, kinda scary sending off a money order to a perfect stranger, but there are precautions you can take. If I find another great deal online, I'll buy again.

Bob

wheelgunner
02-12-2006, 11:56 AM
Agree, Its a hit or miss.

I was just looking at the auction site for Norinco 97 shotgun. The auction prices are $75 to $100 higher than what I can buy brand new.

I try to compare prices with Davidsons.

xenophobe
02-12-2006, 1:06 PM
Many times I can offer you the same price, or even a better one than what you would pay AFTER you pay the seller, shipping and FFL fees.

Sometimes you'll pay slightly more, but if you ever have a problem with a new gun you buy at our store, we'll call the company up and get a call tag for return, or ship it at our expense.

Our in store prices on used guns might be more expensive, but we also offer a 1 year unconditional parts and labor warranty. If it breaks, we'll fix it for free for one year after purchase date.

If you bought it from someone else, we would refer you to them for service or warranty. You can always use the Gun Locater at www.galleryofguns.com, we're a Davidsons dealer as well.

http://www.gunexchange.com

TonyM
02-12-2006, 4:12 PM
First off, to be clear, this isn't about Xenophobe's workplace, I've actually never been there. This is about another shop in San Jose.

I personally like to see the gun I am buying in person, I had a place try to give me a scratched up Glock in 1992 after showing me a nice clean one. What I don't like is to pay $400+ more for a TRP Operator than I can via an FFL in another state.

I also refuse to pay some store $100+ to receive a gun and run the paperwork after paying the other FFL for the overnight shipping, just for them to give me a nasty attitude. They (the stores that ream you on those charges) think they have us where they want us, and when I find myself in one of those stores I intentionaly ask what the fee is, then just look disgusted and say nevermind. Even if their price on the gun was $100 more than what you can get it for out of the state, I'd be happy to just pay it and call it even since they pay more property taxes.... but over $400 more was just silly.

xenophobe
02-12-2006, 5:38 PM
We only charge a fixed price of $50 per firearm + DROS. If the vendor is on file, feel free to contact them, place the order and pay for it, and just come in to let us know the package is on the way and to start your paperwork. There are a number of companies that we do this with, Davidsons, Mitchells Mausers, and other places I can't remember off the top of my head.

If we're not on file, just come in with an envelope so we can send them an FFL. No hassles here.

TonyM
02-12-2006, 7:18 PM
We only charge a fixed price of $50 per firearm + DROS. If the vendor is on file, feel free to contact them, place the order and pay for it, and just come in to let us know the package is on the way and to start your paperwork. There are a number of companies that we do this with, Davidsons, Mitchells Mausers, and other places I can't remember off the top of my head.

If we're not on file, just come in with an envelope so we can send them an FFL. No hassles here.

That's totally reasonable. The other place I was talking about was telling me it was a percentage, one that went well over $100 on that Springfield. I mean, imagine thinking you're getting a good deal on a WhiteFeather and then having to pay $350 or more in "fees" due to the "market value".

I'm liking what I'm hearing about your shop.

Nick5811
02-13-2006, 2:15 AM
A buddy of mine bought a Glock from Gunbroker, and he got a pretty good deal. He got the gun, 2 mags, cleaning kit, box, lock, grip extenders, night sights and a few other goodies for about $150 less than some of the local dealers wanted.

As far as shotguns go, I saw one on an auction today *after* I dros'd my shotty a Mossberg 500 persuader (20" w/8? shot tube) with the collabsible/pistol grip and heatshield (I think with ghostrings) already installed for $310 new in box.

I paid $229 for the gun at big 5 (plus DROS and tax= $273), plus $59 for the stock (6 pos coll. AR style w/pistol grip), and $21 for the heatsheild/ghostrings, and then $12 shipping...so I paid $367 to build the gun that the auction guy wants $310 for (free shipping, out of state so no tax?, +3% for credit card payments).

I guess I'd still have to pay for DROS and for FFL fees from the auction...I'm sure the DROS and FFL fee would cost more and be a little more of a hassle... I think I did good, plus I have the extra parts in case I want to switch back...

Good luck! (and don't use paypal to buy gun stuff...you may lose your account)

xenophobe
02-13-2006, 7:54 AM
That's totally reasonable. The other place I was talking about was telling me it was a percentage, one that went well over $100 on that Springfield. I mean, imagine thinking you're getting a good deal on a WhiteFeather and then having to pay $350 or more in "fees" due to the "market value".

I'm liking what I'm hearing about your shop.

Well, if you order a $3000 gun from some other place and we have it in stock, or we can get that item, we'd be pretty upset if you didn't let us try to negotiate a better price. Unlike most stores, we're willing to work, especially if you're going to pay in full up front. On a 3 month layaway, that's a different story.

We do have a few regulars like that, they'll spend a couple hours asking us questions, fingering our guns, and then go somewhere else to buy something for $20 cheaper.

We're a real gun store with an in house gunsmith, and we provide service after the fact. If you buy a rifle or a scope off us, we'll mount and bore sight it for free. And if you buy a gun from us that needs factory service, we'll take care of that for you. We'll aslo exchange faulty mags on new guns. We can be a little slow on getting product sometimes, and we've definitely got our pros and cons, but hey, nobody is perfect. lol

We also see the growing online internet sales and we're trying to work with that, but it's really difficult competing with someone that doesn't have retail space they need to pay, utilities, etc... the overhead of a gun shop is actually quite high.

Nick5811
02-14-2006, 12:16 AM
I like to see and touch things before I buy them. I would even rather pay more for something just to have it in my hands, and know that the item I am paying for is the one that I looked at, in the condition I want.

That being said, I also agree in that I like Xeno's gun shop. They are a bit cluttered, but they have a *LOT* of inventory. The staff is nice, and they are knowlegable. In this day and age customer service is a lost art, and luckily they still believe in it over at the G** E*******.

On a side note, I can't stand going to a shop to look at a 'glock' and be told "Why would you waste your money on a Glock when you can buy a Sig for $xxx more? Here. Look at a Sig. I have a Sig. Sig is so good because..."

Okay...back to shotguns....I can't wait for my parts to come in!