View Full Version : M14a question

02-10-2006, 4:48 PM
Ya, so...

Anyone know anything about a M14a made by Fed. Ord. Inc?

Good? Bad? Indifferent?

02-10-2006, 5:22 PM
hears good and bad ...i personally wouldnt risk it ..there are plenty of good recievers out there. lrb norinco, polytech, armscor, smith, springfield inc, ...i personally stay away fron enterprise and fed ord.

02-10-2006, 6:24 PM
Fed ordnance is just an Ok receiver, I would get a chicom one over these.

02-10-2006, 6:51 PM
There is nothing wrong with the Federal Ordinance receiver.
A lot of the fed ord rifles were built out of chicom kits, while the early ones were built with usgi kits.
I own norinco, fed ord, springfield, and armscorp.
They all function the same.
The fed ord is on a chicom kit, and yes its headspaced, and is a fine gun for those who can't aford to pay in the 1200 to 1800 price range.

02-10-2006, 7:35 PM
Fed ord receivers are generally considered to be wall hangers. When I owned Norcal Shooters supply we had a dozen of these rifles that I ordered for resale. The receivers were so out of spec they could not be made to function safely period. After a year of shipping them back and forth to Southern California for repairs I gave up. I returned them for credit with federal Ordnance for some of their Ranger 1911 pistols and a couple garands.
I took two of the M14s to Gunsmithing school at Lassen College to see if they could be salvaged. Some of the best gunsmiths in the business all gave them a thumbs down. After a long session with a set of M14 bluprints and measuring tools we decided that they were so far off they could not be made to function.
While I am no longer a customer of Clint McKee at Fulton Armory because of his business practices with Wes at 10% firearms, He does have some good info on these rifles at their website. Basically comes down to that a Federal Ordnance rifle is worth whatever the parts hanging on the receiver are worth.
If they are are True G.I. parts then I would pay the going rate for a parts set in that condition and then scrap the receiver. If the parts are Chinese then the total worth would only be a couple hundred at best since the the only serviceable parts would be the trigger group, op rod and flash hider. The rest of the Chinese parts are generally terrible.
If you are looking for a bargain M14s look for a Chinese rifle at a good price and send it to Smith Enterprise for a new Bolt and Barrel. If money is no object have them do a "Crazy Horse " conversion. I currently have two being done.

Sgt Raven
02-10-2006, 8:00 PM
If money is no object have them do a "Crazy Horse " conversion. I currently have two being done.

If money is no object, then have SEi build you a crazy horse on a LRB action. ;)

02-10-2006, 8:13 PM
Sgt Raven,

Your right if money is NO object then the LRB is a great receiver. You wont have any better quality receiver though.