PDA

View Full Version : Off List AK Lower

hiyabrad
02-10-2006, 4:14 PM
Guys,

I just bought an off-list AK lower, but how am I going to make this thing work if you have to have a fixed 10 round mag? You cannot top load like an AR.

Help please.

Brad

Tyler
02-10-2006, 4:21 PM
Check out my build.
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=28079&page=3

hiyabrad
02-10-2006, 4:42 PM
Tyler, thanks for sending me the info, awesome build.

I have a few quesitons for you:

1. Are you still looking for someone to hook you up on the lower?

2. How did you blue the lower receiver?

3. Did you just make up the bolt idea for the mag lock, or did you see that somewhere?

4. Where did you buy the parts kit and what type of kit is that?

Brad

hiyabrad
02-10-2006, 4:44 PM
I am sorry I am such a newbie to AK's, I am an AR guy. What are "compliance" parts and why? Thanks, Brad

Tyler
02-11-2006, 11:26 AM
1. Sure, I am about to get someoneís kit ready for them right now, but I should be able to do another in about a week or so.

2. The Ak in the picture was done with high temp BBQ spray paint. It matches the Romanian Ak perfectly, but I think a flat black duracoat would be nice also.

3. To my knowledge, I am the first person silly enough to try and neuter an Ak in this way, but we have to do some pretty silly things in California. I have never seen this method used before, and it took quite a few trips to the hardware store before I got it.

4. I got this kit
http://www.tapco.com/product_information.asp?number=ZAK0603&back=yes&dept=214&last=214
From everything that I read, the G2 trigger that comes with that kit is well worth the extra 25 bucks. I didnít like the front pistol grip so I cut it off when I was redoing the finish on the wood.

hiyabrad
02-11-2006, 11:58 AM
Thanks for the info, can someone tell me what "compliance" parts are and why I need them in CA? Thanks!

Tyler
02-11-2006, 1:05 PM
I took this from the war rifles forum.

OK guys, here it is in black and white.

When an AK was imported and nobody had monkeyed with it yet, it had either 14, 15 or 16 countable parts. This is a list of the parts that apply specifically to AK's.

(1) Frames, receivers, receiver castings, forgings or
stampings
(2) Barrels
(3) Mounting blocks (trunnions)
(4) Muzzle attachments
(5) Bolts
(6) Bolt carriers
(7) Gas pistons
(8) Triggers
(9) Hammers
(10) Disconnectors
(11) Buttstocks
(12) Pistol grips
(13) Forearm handguards
(14) Magazine body
(15) Followers
(16) Floorplates

A milled rifle without a muzzle brake has 14 parts because it doesn't have a trunnion. The part that serves that purpose is built in to the reciever.

With a muzzle brake makes 15.

A stamped rifle without a muzzle brake has 15 parts. Pesky trunnion.

With a brake 16.

To get that pistol grip on there you have to change the status of the rifle from that of an imported product,(e-vil assault rifle), to that of a domestically manufactured product,(modern sporting rifle).

A domestically produced sporting rifle may have no more than 10 imported parts for it to still be considered domestic. So, depending on whether you have a milled or stamped rifle and whether or not it has a muzzle brake, you will have to replace up to 6 of the imported parts with made in the USA ones.

That's a key phrase there. You can't just slap on some US doohickies and go. You have to replace parts that were on the original rifle with made in the US ones. That's why it works in our favor that the ******** stocks are counted as 2 parts during the parts count for importation. If it were only counted as one part you would be adding another part to the total count when you put a pistol grip on. It could easily be offset by adding a US pistol grip, just like a made in the US muzzle brake will, in effect, offset itself but it would add an additional twist to an already convoluted subject.

Replacement US parts include:

Buttstock 1
pistol grip 1
upper and lower handguards 1
muzzle brake 1
gas piston 1
hammer 1
trigger 1
disconnector 1
magazine body 1
follower 1
floorplate 1
reciever 1

Please note that the upper and lower handguards are counted as one part. If you only replace one or the other it will not be counted as a US part regardless of what is molded into the plastic. Both the upper and lower must be of US manufacture for it to count toward changing it's import status. Also, a muzzle nut is not an attachment if it is secured properly but a brake is an attachment regardless of whether or not there are threads holding it on.

No. Not all of the above parts are made for every AK variety out there, 5.45 followers, floorplates for waffle mags, etc.. Nor can all of the listed parts be used easily. The work to replace the the reciever of a MISR with a US one would not be cost effective,(not to mention that some might question the ... wisdom of a move like that).

First find out what number of parts you need to replace.
Then, find out how many different US parts are made for the model rifle you have.
Choose the correct number of parts from that list and install them properly on your rifle.

glen avon
02-11-2006, 1:13 PM
Thanks for the info, can someone tell me what "compliance" parts are and why I need them in CA? Thanks!

USC title 18 (maybe 42, I forget) section 922r forbids assembly of certain weapons having more than 10 imported parts. there is a list of those parts. an AK-type usually qualifies as one of the weapons. a fixed-mag model might not, but the risks are not worth the benefits IMHO.

on a typical stamped AK you need to replace 6 parts, 7 if using a muzzle device.

for a fixed-mag AK, the mag floorplate and follower are two easy parts. US FCG is another three easy parts. build these on a US receiver and you are home free. any muzzle brake that is US made would be allowed. or you could use a US PG and any muzzle brake.

HTH

dwtt
02-11-2006, 1:53 PM
Guys,

I just bought an off-list AK lower, but how am I going to make this thing work if you have to have a fixed 10 round mag? You cannot top load like an AR.

Tyler has posted some very helpful info on building a US compliant AK. However, when I get my receiver in, I'll leave off the pistol grip so I can use the 30-rd magazines I have left over from when I owned a Norinco AK. I'm doing this to avoid the loading hassles with a fixed mag, and, more importantly, I was fortunate to have owned 30-rd magazines bought in the early 1990's. I can think that having detachable 10-rd magazines might outweigh having a pistol grip for those who don't already have 30-rd magazines.

pepsi2451
02-11-2006, 2:31 PM
Would this be considered legal? This has probably been covered before but I couldn't find it. What is considered a fixed mag? It looks like it would be pretty easy to covert it back.

Tyler
02-11-2006, 4:00 PM
A fixed mag is a mag that must use a tool to be removed. It would take an Allen wrench to remove the mag from the rifle i built, so it would then be legal. Do a search in the forum on this topic and you will find TONS of info on why it is legal.