PDA

View Full Version : Bound Book Question: Who's the seller?

DCW
03-26-2010, 6:33 PM
I will call ATF about this if I have to, but I'm not sure someone there will be completely up to speed on the interplay between Federal and California law. First I want to get a sense of the community and see if there is a clear answer. I have received different answers to my question from acquaintances.

I have the 03 (C&R) FFL and maintain the required bound book. If I am out of state, buy a C&R handgun, and import it myself, I am obviously acquiring it directly from that seller, and his name, along with his FFL or address, is entered in my book.

But when I institute a handgun ship-in from out of state, under CA law it first comes to a receiving 01 FFL from whom I then collect it. The gun goes into the FFL's book and is then signed out to me. My understanding is that for purposes of my book, I am acquiring it from the receiving FFL, not the person I am paying for the gun. Is that correct?

I haven't bought more than a few guns with my C&R license, so if I need to correct my book it won't be hard to go back and clarify the seller.

Thanks for any responses you all can offer.

David Wilson

Cokebottle
03-26-2010, 6:48 PM
Tagged out of curiosity.
I just received my 03, and it has been my impression that guns purchased from/through a dealer do not need to be logged, but I don't fully trust that impression.

jmlivingston
03-26-2010, 7:01 PM
But when I institute a handgun ship-in from out of state, under CA law it first comes to a receiving 01 FFL from whom I then collect it. The gun goes into the FFL's book and is then signed out to me. My understanding is that for purposes of my book, I am acquiring it from the receiving FFL, not the person I am paying for the gun. Is that correct?

That would be right. The seller's book should have the handgun go out to your 01FFL since that's where he shipped it, and the 01FFL's book would have it out to yours. Keep the integrity of the trail and I can't imagine you'd ever be questioned about it.

jmlivingston
03-26-2010, 7:02 PM
I just received my 03, and it has been my impression that guns purchased from/through a dealer do not need to be logged, but I don't fully trust that impression.

That would be wrong. Any C&R you acquire or dispose of must be logged in your book while you're licensed. It's YOU that's licensed, it's not a "license you use".

John

trautert
03-26-2010, 7:03 PM
You are in fact buying it from the FFL in this case.

Tom

Fate
03-26-2010, 7:09 PM
Tagged out of curiosity.
That impression is correct if it's NOT a curio and relic firearm. If the firearm IS a curio and relic, it must be logged in your bound book.

DCW
03-26-2010, 7:57 PM
Jim,

Thank you; I appreciate the confirmation.

I was pretty sure what I was doing made sense, but I wasn't completely comfortable with the idea that making sense was going to keep me on the right side of the law.

David Wilson

Brianguy
03-26-2010, 9:32 PM
Hmm so c&r handguns coming in from another state have to go to an 01?

SJgunguy24
03-26-2010, 9:48 PM
Hmm so c&r handguns coming in from another state have to go to an 01?

Only if shipped. Say you head up to the Big Show in Reno and aquire a few C&R handguns then no they do not have to go through an 01 FFL. But you have 5 days to file the correct form with the DOJ for importing the handguns.

Fate
03-26-2010, 10:04 PM
Only if shipped. Say you head up to the Big Show in Reno and aquire a few C&R handguns then no they do not have to go through an 01 FFL. But you have 5 days to file the correct form with the DOJ for importing the handguns.

Plus the $19/per pistol