PDA

View Full Version : Out-of-state college student

jm838
03-26-2010, 2:44 PM
I recently began college out in Oklahoma, but I come home to CA every summer and winter for breaks. I have a CA driver's license. I read on the wiki that, as per federal residency standards, I am considered an Oklahoma resident while I'm at school and living on campus, and a CA resident whenever I'm home for an extended break. It seems that I should be able to buy an "evil" rifle out here, add the bullet button myself, and bring it back with me to CA to store in my dad's gun safe for the next few years. Anyone have experience with this? I understand that no CA resident can buy guns out of state, but from what I understand my residency changes about every four months, so I can bring guns back with me. Tulsa gun show is coming up, and I'd love to go make a purchase in person...

Also, for those wondering, I don't plan on storing my gun on-campus. Hopefully I can pick it up right before I head back. If not, it is going to be locked up in a case in my trunk, and I'm not going to buy ammunition until summer. Any thoughts?

JDoe
03-26-2010, 3:33 PM
Why not just buy it in California and nearly completely exclude the chances of running afoul of some law you may not be aware of?

truthseeker
03-26-2010, 5:25 PM
I don't see ANY "pro's" to buying a EBR in Oklahoma but a see a lot of "con's".

If you are thinking you can buy a "ON LIST" lower and bring it here you are WRONG! If a EBR Lower is on the list you had to have registered it already or be a LEO with Official Letterhead, there are a couple more instances, but they pertain to military I believe.

Anyhow, I would just buy one here and configure it how you want it (within the law) and when you go out of state you can configure it how you want it.

jm838
03-26-2010, 6:39 PM
I was most certainly not planning on buying an on-list lower, as that would be an assault weapon. Importing such a gun would be a very serious crime. The main advantages of buying an OLL out of state are that

1. I don't need an extra party to "californicate" the gun for me, as I get the impression that many out of state dealers do not wish to do this.

2. I could buy the gun in person, rather than from an online retailer.

3. While both of these would be moot if I could buy a gun already in CA, I want a functioning AK underfolder, and there seems to be a shortage of them, excepting the yugo, which I do not want anyway.

I would take the in-state transaction over the out-of-state one any day, but my options seem limited. Wish this stuff was clearer :(

Typical CA laws, confusing as hell and aimed at all the wrong people.

GearHead
03-26-2010, 9:56 PM
Well if you have a CA license, you can't buy from an out of state vendor anyway....so it's kind of a moot point unless you visit the DMV every few months. And THAT is a punishment I would not wish upon my worst enemy.

hoffmang
03-26-2010, 11:28 PM
You'll need to find out what OK gun dealers are comfortable with for proof of residency. You can probably get an OK ID which would work. Once you do that, you can buy in both states as a resident. If you're looking to buy an AR, just follow the flow chart before coming back to CA with the rifle. Note that handguns have a couple extra steps upon a return to CA though.

-Gene

jm838
03-27-2010, 12:22 AM
You'll need to find out what OK gun dealers are comfortable with for proof of residency. You can probably get an OK ID which would work. Once you do that, you can buy in both states as a resident. If you're looking to buy an AR, just follow the flow chart before coming back to CA with the rifle. Note that handguns have a couple extra steps upon a return to CA though.

-Gene

Now THAT's the kind of answer I needed. Hopefully I can use my housing agreement as proof of residency, much in the same way a utility bill could be used. If not, I could get an OK I.D and keep my CA driver's license. I have no intention of getting a new DL. It seems easier to add a second residency than it is to change an existing one. I heard gun shows out here are very accommodating, so I like where this is going. I just need to make sure that I don't somehow end up with a listed lower. AK copies have their country of origin/model clearly marked, right? I don't want to rely on some vendor's word without knowing what to look for.

pMcW
03-27-2010, 9:17 AM
...I want a functioning AK underfolder, and there seems to be a shortage of them, excepting the yugo, which I do not want anyway.

I would take the in-state transaction over the out-of-state one any day, but my options seem limited. Wish this stuff was clearer :(

Typical CA laws, confusing as hell and aimed at all the wrong people.

Are you saying that you hope to get the AK underfolder? Wouldn't that fail to pass the minimum 31" overall length requirement?
:confused:

hoffmang
03-27-2010, 10:00 AM
Bring a copy of the AW flow chart with you as it has all the firearms banned by name on the back/second page. If you get an underfolder you will likely have to pin the stock or add a pretty long muzzle device to keep it longer than the AW OAL (30") which is longer than the usual long gun OAL. Also note that unlike Federal law, CA takes the position that OAL is measured in minimum fireable length.

-Gene

jm838
03-27-2010, 12:20 PM
Sounds good. I've seen a couple 5 inch muzzle devices here and there, and that's what I want to put on. If I can't get ahold of one in time before returning to CA, I'll just fix the stock in a reversible (with the use of tools) way, on the hopes that one day I do find an appropriate device. My main issue is that a lot of underfolders have been welded to no longer fold, and many companies seem to accept this as the only solution. Oh, and I almost forgot to mention, I plan to block off any mags that come with the gun to 10 rounds, leave them in Oklahoma, disassemble them, or sell them. I'm not gonna do all this legal maneuvering just to get nailed on a high capacity mag...

hoffmang
03-27-2010, 12:37 PM
There are lots of good ways to honestly pin an underfolder in a way that requires tools to undo but will not permanently mar the weapon when the AW laws go away or you move to a free state.

-Gene