PDA

View Full Version : Friends Dads Handgun question >_>

Musashi
03-26-2010, 2:26 PM
Im basically wondering if my friend who is 20 years old, can carry his dads revolver to a target range.

GearHead
03-26-2010, 2:55 PM
Im basically wondering if my friend who is 20 years old, can carry his dads revolver to a target range.

Carry it...how?

BNuge
03-26-2010, 3:01 PM
The minor must have the prior WRITTEN consent of hir or her parent or legal gaurdian...The minor must have this written consent in hir or her possession at all times when in possesion or the gun or ammunition.

This is From How to Own a Gun and Stay Out of Jail
And of course all the other transportation laws(locked container if concealed etc.) apply too

ocspeedracer
03-26-2010, 3:10 PM
since he's not a minor, just under 21 he can even be given his dads gun and own it himself.

C_1
03-26-2010, 3:18 PM
The minor must have the prior WRITTEN consent of hir or her parent or legal gaurdian...The minor must have this written consent in hir or her possession at all times when in possesion or the gun or ammunition.

This is From How to Own a Gun and Stay Out of Jail
And of course all the other transportation laws(locked container if concealed etc.) apply too

What he said.

since he's not a minor, just under 21 he can even be given his dads gun and own it himself.

And your friend, can legally own that handgun (or any other gun) if his dad gift's it to him. I think there's only a $19 fee.

Musashi
03-26-2010, 3:20 PM
yeah when i said carry i just meant to bring it to the range.

so from what i gather its legal for him to bring it to a range.

i didnt realize you could pass down a handgun before you were 21, but it makes me wonder.. if your dad died before you were 21, or even an adult, how would you go about getting his handgun.

Librarian
03-26-2010, 5:39 PM
i didnt realize you could pass down a handgun before you were 21, but it makes me wonder.. if your dad died before you were 21, or even an adult, how would you go about getting his handgun.

The under-21 restriction is for transfers through FFLS; a parent living in CA can transfer a handgun to a child 18+ also living in CA, without an FFL. See "intrafamilial transfer (http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/index.php/Transferring_Firearms_Among_Some_Family_Members)".

WaR_ClouD-VII
03-26-2010, 5:42 PM
he can own the handgun if his father gives it as a gift. You don't need to do a PPT, you can just get the form from the DOJ website and mail it to them filled out with a check or money order for $19. He can be in possession of the gun if he's under 21 but he won't be able to purchase handgun ammo by himself.