PDA

View Full Version : question about background checks

SanPedroShooter
03-26-2010, 2:03 PM
Are the NCIS checks different from other kinds of checks? Like a background based on fingerprints for example. Also, when i buy a gun in California, do they check just state records or the whole country? I guess my question is, Can you assume that if your not a prohibited person, and you can purchase firearms, youre good to go for CCW (in a shall issue state), class 3 ffl, COE etc.. Or do the checks go progressively deeper?

Cokebottle
03-26-2010, 2:30 PM
"It depends"... especially WRT the CCW, even in shall-issue states.
While misdemeanor offenses are generally not prohibitive, even as "free" as Utah is with their CCW, they (and most other states) have a "good moral character" clause.
A misdemeanor DUI less than 10-16 years old can be a problem (successful completion of probation +6 years, I think California probation runs 10 years now), as can misdemeanor sexual convictions.

Of the items that you listed, CCW would be the most difficult to obtain.
03FFL and COE shouldn't be a problem.

SanPedroShooter
03-26-2010, 2:57 PM
thanks for the info, when i was in the military I had extensive background checks run for entry/clearances. A few things have changed since then. I'm just trying to get a handle on how background checks work.

Cokebottle
03-26-2010, 3:05 PM
Generally, if you are conviction-free, you should be GTG.
I haven't gone for a CCW yet, but with a DUI conviction in 1992, I cleared background for an 03FFL, and to clear employment with a city. The city WAS looking for items that would not be prohibitive on firearms... in particular (but not limited to) sexual offenses.

socalblue
03-26-2010, 3:18 PM
A CCW background will look at arrests, not just convictions (Many applications ask specifically about arrests). Reason is that in some states things like DUI are very easy to plead down to "wet reckless". A couple of those in a recent history check would be a concern to the issuing authority.

SanPedroShooter
03-26-2010, 3:47 PM
right, i read the texas application, and they consider cases plead out with probation, no conviction on record, as actual convictions. Or to be reported as such. I'm a ways from applying for an out of state CCW, not even gonna try in this county, so im not to concerned, but i want to be able to know what to expect.

SVT-40
03-26-2010, 4:08 PM
Are the NCIS checks different from other kinds of checks? Like a background based on fingerprints for example. Also, when i buy a gun in California, do they check just state records or the whole country? I guess my question is, Can you assume that if your not a prohibited person, and you can purchase firearms, youre good to go for CCW (in a shall issue state), class 3 ffl, COE etc.. Or do the checks go progressively deeper?

NICS are based on the information provided by the purchaser. It will search based upon the information provided only.

Any check which involves fingerprints will be much deeper as it will divulge all of the information that a NICS check would provide. As well as any information such as any arrests, convictions as well as any applicant information where you provided fingerprints. Like information where you applied to be a police officer ect.

A NICS check will check through NCIC for information (nation wide).

mofugly13
03-26-2010, 4:09 PM
Re: Background checks...

I got a call just the other day from a guy I used to work with. He knows I am into guns and was excited to tell me that he had just bought a Kimber. He had just picked it up after his 10-day wait. What struck me as ironic is that he had told me when we worked together that before he immigrated to the US, he had spent a few years in prison in Russia on drug charges. But he passed the background check here.

POLICESTATE
03-26-2010, 4:30 PM
Re: Background checks...

I got a call just the other day from a guy I used to work with. He knows I am into guns and was excited to tell me that he had just bought a Kimber. He had just picked it up after his 10-day wait. What struck me as ironic is that he had told me when we worked together that before he immigrated to the US, he had spent a few years in prison in Russia on drug charges. But he passed the background check here.

CA DOJ is not going to have access to a foreign country's criminal databases. What disturbs me more however is that if he immigrated he should have had to answer for that on his immigration paperwork, but he might have lied, I don't believe DHS (which ICE falls under) has access to a foreign country's criminal database either.

mofugly13
03-26-2010, 4:39 PM
I realize that DOJ doesn't have access to foreign criminal histories, I was just struck by the irony of it. He became a citizen when he married an American woman, I donno if that has different paperwork requirements than someone who just wants to immigrate and go through the naturalization process.

POLICESTATE
03-26-2010, 4:47 PM
I realize that DOJ doesn't have access to foreign criminal histories, I was just struck by the irony of it. He became a citizen when he married an American woman, I donno if that has different paperwork requirements than someone who just wants to immigrate and go through the naturalization process.

My wife went through the naturalization process several years ago and you were required to disclose any criminal stuff etc...

But yeah if you lie it's not like they're going to know unless you're some big shot criminal figure or something.... maybe not even then.

Cokebottle
03-26-2010, 4:49 PM
If he came here legally, that issue would have been resolved prior to his having been issued his "green card".

Also, marrying a US citizen does not automatically grant US citizenship.
I know of two Brits who have been here for over 20 years, married to US citizens, and they are not US citizens. One even served in the army, and he is "in line" for citizenship... the other doesn't care about citizenship.

SanPedroShooter
03-26-2010, 4:51 PM
NICS are based on the information provided by the purchaser. It will search based upon the information provided only.

Any check which involves fingerprints will be much deeper as it will divulge all of the information that a NICS check would provide. As well as any information such as any arrests, convictions as well as any applicant information where you provided fingerprints. Like information where you applied to be a police officer ect.

A NICS check will check through NCIC for information (nation wide).

Thats what i thought about fingerprint background checks. They will connect to, or should connect to, everytime youve been fingerprinted by the state/local police, feds, military, for whatever reason. As to your NCIS info thats just your name right? I know ssn is optional. It didnt seem like much of check. I know from other posts you work in LE, whats your opinion, or best option for checking your own background/fingerprints?