bridgeport
02-09-2006, 8:50 PM
thoughts

Josh
02-09-2006, 9:07 PM
http://www.focuser.com/anodize.html

kantstudien
02-09-2006, 10:36 PM
Not sure if you really want to be anodizing in your home. Anodizing requires some nasty chemicals like cyanide, and even machine shops send out their products to get anodized. Something to think about.

NRAhighpowershooter
02-10-2006, 7:21 AM
Annodizing needs to be done out in the garage with the doors WIDE open and fans running full tilt.. or do it out doors.. as the previous post said.. there are nasty chemicals working here and the receiver is basically being 'cooked' at 150 or so degrees for a certain ammount of time....I do home parkerizing and I do it outside.

ohsmily
02-10-2006, 9:18 AM
you should send it out for teflon, duracoat, ceracoat, or other type of modern, highly resistant finish instead of anodizing.

Anyway...

mltrading
02-10-2006, 9:20 AM
Will re-anodizing affect the dimentions of receiver? I think the anodizing is to "grow" a thin film (Al2O3).

I've been told by manufacturers who do custom engraving, there's nothing you can do after the receiver has been anodized. Trying to do so will make receiver out of spec. Is it true?:confused:

Josh
02-10-2006, 9:30 AM
not to where its going to matter on a firearm part, maybe in the aerospace or medical industry they would care about the added thickness from anodizing.

Also anodizing is almost always done prior to applying a "finish" as it provides excellent adhesion and will make the surface of the part harder.

xenophobe
02-10-2006, 11:15 AM
you should send it out for teflon, duracoat, ceracoat, or other type of modern, highly resistant finish instead of anodizing.

+1

For anodization, you will also need to know WHAT type of Aluminum Alloy your receiver is, otherwise the dye may not hold.

NRAhighpowershooter
02-10-2006, 12:00 PM
For anodization, you will also need to know WHAT type of Aluminum Alloy your receiver is, otherwise the dye may not hold.

correct!! all forged AR receivers are 7075 aluminum.

Josh
02-10-2006, 12:15 PM
http://www.alphametal.com/tech_notes.htm

heres some more basic tech info on the process.

Gunner1
02-10-2006, 12:20 PM
I just sprayed an old bushmaster upper that has been kicked around in my toolbox for the last ten years. Looked bad. I bead blasted it and sprayed with duracoat and an airbrush ($5.00 cheapie from harbor freight) along with my cosmetically challenged Superior lower. Looks like new.

Gunner