PDA

View Full Version : Newb at hunting, some advice please.

jaustin612
03-26-2010, 10:06 AM
Hey guys. I'm stationed at camp pendleton and am looking to do some yote/rabbit hunting. I already talked to the warden on base and got the rules.

Now, I've never legitimately been hunting before, so I'm looking for any suggestions, do's don'ts, things to bring and not to bring, etc.

I'll be going out with a buddy. I'll be using either my .223 ar with a 20" upper with a leupold 3-9 or my century arms psl with a 4-12 variable scope on it. I also have a stock remmy 870 12 guage with a 28 inch barrel that could be used as well.

I got PMC FMJ for the ar and 147 gr steel core milsurp for the PSL, packs a punch.

I don't have any orange gear to wear or anthing else, looking like a trip to wally world is in order.

edwardm
03-26-2010, 10:42 AM
If you want pelts, take headshots. If not, take vitals shots. For bunnies, I usually come across them while hiking and ranges vary from 20 yards sitting/running to 1 yard, hiding under a bush - in those cases I find the shotgun to be more useful and put the bead on their head.

I'm not much of a coyote hunter, so I'll leave that to the pros. ;)

As for orange gear, I don't wear it and I never have, except when the landowner requires it. It's not that I think it's "uncool" or stupid or anything, it's just that I generally hunt in very sparsely used areas. Plus it's just another piece of gear to forget to pack along.

Aside from that, lots of water, jerky and granola bars are good things to pack along.

Hey guys. I'm stationed at camp pendleton and am looking to do some yote/rabbit hunting. I already talked to the warden on base and got the rules.

Now, I've never legitimately been hunting before, so I'm looking for any suggestions, do's don'ts, things to bring and not to bring, etc.

I'll be going out with a buddy. I'll be using either my .223 ar with a 20" upper with a leupold 3-9 or my century arms psl with a 4-12 variable scope on it. I also have a stock remmy 870 12 guage with a 28 inch barrel that could be used as well.

I got PMC FMJ for the ar and 147 gr steel core milsurp for the PSL, packs a punch.

I don't have any orange gear to wear or anthing else, looking like a trip to wally world is in order.

Big Jake
03-26-2010, 11:06 AM
Watch out for snakes this time of year as they are starting to come out as the weather warms up. Nasty things!

Good luck!

jaustin612
03-26-2010, 12:18 PM
Shows how much I know, I thought orange gear was required to be worn for some reason.

Are there any rules for shotguns? Mine has a 4 shot tube.

LloydXmas250
03-26-2010, 12:57 PM
I know you can hunt coyote with as many shotshells as you'd like provided it's no more than 10. That's cause they're a non-game varmint. Jacks are the only rabbit in season, it's open all year, but I don't know if they're considered game. To be on the safe side you should buy a plug so your 870 will only be 2+1 which is legal.

edwardm
03-26-2010, 1:22 PM
Jackrabbits are considered "small game" under Title 14 CCR 257:

"and the following game mammals: jackrabbits and varying hares (genus Lepus), cottontail rabbits, brush rabbits, pigmy rabbits (genus Sylvilagus), and tree squirrels (genus Sciurus and Tamiasciurus)."

Methods of take under Section 311:

"311. Methods Authorized for Taking Resident Small Game.

Only the following may be used to take resident small game:

(a) Shotguns 10 gauge or smaller using shot shells only and incapable of holding more than three shells in the magazine and chamber combined. If a plug is used to reduce the capacity of a magazine to fulfill the requirements of this section, the plug must be of one piece construction incapable of removal without disassembling the gun;"

Season (jackrabbits) - year-round. (Sec. 309). The rest of the bunnies seem to open July 1 and run through sometime in January.

For coyotes...

Section 472:

(a) The following nongame birds and mammals may be taken at any time of the year and in any number except as prohibited in Chapter 6: English sparrow, starling, coyote, weasels, skunks, opossum, moles and rodents (excluding tree and flying squirrels, and those listed as furbearers, endangered or threatened species).

Section 475 allows for take in "any manner" with a bunch of exceptions. Those exceptions don't appear to include shotguns or shotgun capacity.

If it was me, I'd put a plug in and keep things at 2 in the tube and 1 in the chamber, just in case. You could argue you were hunting coyotes and not jackrabbits, but why risk the ticket and resulting hassle?

I know you can hunt coyote with as many shotshells as you'd like provided it's no more than 10. That's cause they're a non-game varmint. Jacks are the only rabbit in season, it's open all year, but I don't know if they're considered game. To be on the safe side you should buy a plug so your 870 will only be 2+1 which is legal.

lewdogg21
03-26-2010, 2:38 PM
Shows how much I know, I thought orange gear was required to be worn for some reason.

Are there any rules for shotguns? Mine has a 4 shot tube.

It is for most western states. Why CA doesn't I don't know. Get some softpoint or Hollow point ammo for the AR. Don't shoot yotes with a FMJ.