PDA

View Full Version : CA legal AR convert

uspcompact45
02-09-2006, 5:07 PM
Hi,

I visited a store and they had a california legal AR-15 with a magazine where you have to open the rifle to load it. It was really nice but my question is that I'm going to move to Arizona soon and I want to convert it so it can have a detachable magazine. Would it be able to function just like a normal Ar15 without opening it up to load it? Can you open up a normal AR 15 and load it just like the CA version ones? Thanks in advance. I'm glad I'm moving out of california.

I have thought about that but I will probably move back to california after my education and I can't bring a non-CA rifle back into the state. I was hoping that I buy the CA legal rifle, move to Arizona where I can convert it by just making the 10 rd mag detachable. Then before I come into california, I'll make the 10 rd mag so it can't be detached. This way I get the best of both worlds without making it illegal. I just don't know if a CA legal rifle can function exactly the same as a normal one.

This is the one:

http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/pro....asp?Prodid=213

SgtBulldog
02-09-2006, 5:09 PM
As long as you get one that doesn't have a welded closed mag well, you should be good to go and able to change it to free-state legal and Cali-legal in a matter of minutes.

BTW, good info at the FAQ - http://www.calguns.net/a_california_arak.htm.

uspcompact45
02-09-2006, 6:12 PM
So the vulcan can be converted? Just wanted to make sure, thanks.

ohsmily
02-09-2006, 6:14 PM
So the vulcan can be converted? Just wanted to make sure, thanks.

with much difficulty. It is blind pinned and epoxied. I see it as more or less permanently in. Just wait till you get to AZ to buy one. It will be cheaper.

grammaton76
02-09-2006, 7:15 PM
Biggest question is, how soon is soon? If soon is a while off, I'd go and buy an off-list lower and sit on it until you go to Arizona. You may end up getting to register it as an AW before leaving, in which case life will be very good. You'll have a lifelong guarantee of being able to at least have a fixed-mag AR, as opposed to having a really fun detachable-mag AR that you have to leave at the state line, and no AR to come home to when your education is done.

uspcompact45
02-09-2006, 7:38 PM
Moving by August, thanks for all the responses.

scott.cr
02-09-2006, 10:27 PM
On the off-list lowers mention, I saw some off-list stripped lowers at the Costa Mesa show weekend before last and they were going for $269. I bought my Stag lowers for $90 each, out of state...

subroutine
02-10-2006, 9:18 AM
ok, given that the off-list are still "legal" how the heck do you get a company to ship it to you??.....i've talked to fulton-armory as well as RRA and they will not ship to CA even though the receivers are not technically "illegal".. what are the legal options to getting the receivers here w/out actually traveling out of state?

SUB

mltrading
02-10-2006, 9:28 AM
For Move out CA:

1) As long as the rifle is built on the receiver with open magazine well. It's easy to convert back to normal AR.

2) Yes, for normal ARs, you can break it open to load. No problem at all. But why bother doing so while you can use detachable mags in free states?

For move back to CA:

1) Why move back (to a G*n B*n state)?

2) It depends on the laws when you move back. If the weapon you owned has been banned in CA, you can not bring it back.:)

ArmedBear
02-10-2006, 9:40 AM
I'd get a non-listed lower. Then you can register it in CA if it comes to that. In AZ, you can do whatever you want with it. Keep your CA permanent address when you go to school, at least long enough to register your lower.

In 4-5 years, there may not be too much to come back to in CA. Businesses are leaving, people are leaving.

I started school at UCSD in 1984. Everything was booming. By the time I got out of school, they didn't really have career fairs any more. I managed to put together a living and a career, but there was noone actually MOVING here for a job at that time. Things right now are looking a lot like 1986 in California.

shopkeep
02-10-2006, 10:18 AM
ok, given that the off-list are still "legal" how the heck do you get a company to ship it to you??.....i've talked to fulton-armory as well as RRA and they will not ship to CA even though the receivers are not technically "illegal".. what are the legal options to getting the receivers here w/out actually traveling out of state?

SUB

Go to any gun show in California. If you haven't been to a gun show recently then you're in for a surprise. My FFL told me last night when I DROSed a .308 lower that gun shows are all about AR-15s these days... muhahahah :D!

uspcompact45
02-10-2006, 11:22 AM
Thanks for all the responses. I don't know if I want to build my own gun. I'm fairly new to this and I wasn't a rifle fanatic until now. Do you know any socal stores with legal assembled ar15s, m4 style with open magazine wells? Thanks.