PDA

View Full Version : Lots and Lots of timeouts on one computer, other one fine

Hoop
03-25-2010, 4:19 PM
Trying to help out a friend with his network. He has two computers - a laptop and a desktop. Laptop is fine browsing the internet, however desktop has tons of page timeouts etc and I can't figure it out. I've tried setting it to use a different DNS, /flushdns etc etc but nothing is helping.

Basically, you can pick out a site - any site, run a search through Yahoo for something whatever, and any link you click will need to be clicked 2-3 times for it to work, if at all. Laptop works fine, as does my laptop.

If anyone has any suggestions I'd like to hear it, I'm pulling my hair out over here.

paul0660
03-25-2010, 4:30 PM
Different virus/spyware programs? How does cpu use on them compare?

Mute
03-25-2010, 4:40 PM
First, ethernet or wireless? If ethernet, check cable. Make sure it's in good condition. If wireless try different driver for network card. May need update or even downgrade. Those would be the first two I'd check, assuming no malware on computer.

Hoop
03-25-2010, 5:04 PM
I've been checking it for viruses/trojans etc, he says he found a rootkit and a trojan on it a week or so ago that malwarebytes got rid of. I think I'm just going to tell him to format it, I wouldn't trust a computer that had infections like that on it.

TWoods450
03-25-2010, 8:21 PM
when you ping a site does it come up with the same ip on that computer as on others? When you flushed the DNS did you do a /displaydns before hitting a site. There are some things out there to modify your host file directly causing misdirection...

also might want to do netsh winsock reset

proxiedjohnny
03-25-2010, 11:18 PM
Are both systems using the same DNS server to resolve domain names?

Johnny

Ricky-Ray
03-26-2010, 2:50 PM
I'd check the ethernet cable. Had a similar problem and it turned out the cable wasn't crimped correctly or was started to come loose. Once I changed it problem went away.