PDA

View Full Version : Marin County Sheriff has competition

415shooter
03-25-2010, 11:49 AM
Sheriff Doyle of Marin County has competition from the Marin County Coroner Ken Holmes for the June 8th election. Hopefully we can get Doyle out.

http://www.marinij.com/ci_14666195?source=most_emailed

Roadrunner
03-25-2010, 12:23 PM
Sheriff Doyle of Marin County has competition from the Marin County Coroner Ken Holmes for the June 8th election. Hopefully we can get Doyle out.

http://www.marinij.com/ci_14666195?source=most_emailed

So what are you attempting to accomplish by swapping one Marin politician for another? Is Holmes pro 2A? How do you know that he is/isn't? What has he done to prove he's who he claims to be?

BigDogatPlay
03-25-2010, 1:30 PM
Ken Holmes, while a good guy and a solid professional, has been the coroner for a number of years and was a long time deputy coroner prior to that. He is steeped pretty deeply in the politics of the county, so absent any specific statement from him, don't count on a strong 2A policy should he happen to get elected.

Bear in mind also that the various agency's stance on CCW issuance is pretty much an agreed upon thing by all the CLEOs in the county.

Thrasher416
03-25-2010, 10:15 PM
Is there any way to find out more about Holmes stance on 2A? Even if he is as anti-2A as Doyle, I'd probably vote for him just to boot Doyle out.

Still mad about the whole Sean Penn incident. :mad:

iceman14a1
03-27-2010, 12:48 AM
I have hunted since I was 8. I have raised my children and grandchildren to be comfortable and accurate with handguns and long guns.
I am a staunch supporter of 2A !
I believe CCW #s are remarkably low in Marin. But a CCW is a profound privilege that must be earned and a proficiency demonstrated periodically.

odysseus
03-27-2010, 1:07 AM
But a CCW is a profound privilege that must be earned and a proficiency demonstrated periodically.

Can you describe a little further your ideas in defining on it being a "profound privilege that must be earned"? Perhaps go into what you consider requirements for this "privilege" and how it should be earned?

bigcalidave
03-27-2010, 1:15 AM
Wait, there are actually gun owners in Marin?? lol... Never seemed that way growing up there! Can you imagine a 2A friendly sheriff ?

odysseus
03-27-2010, 1:21 AM
Wait, there are actually gun owners in Marin?? lol... Never seemed that way growing up there! Can you imagine a 2A friendly sheriff ?

Marin has two gun stores and Bullseye is a sponsor here. ;)

They do a brisk business.

Gshock
03-27-2010, 1:21 AM
Can you describe a little further your ideas in defining on it being a "profound privilege that must be earned"? Perhaps go into what you consider requirements for this "privilege" and how it should be earned?

Easy, rich and/or famous.

bigcalidave
03-27-2010, 1:40 AM
I know about bullseye and the fishing store. I also lived there for 15 years, so I know what the people are like :) I like to imagine most people buying at those stores actually live elsewhere...

odysseus
03-27-2010, 3:35 AM
I know about bullseye and the fishing store. I also lived there for 15 years, so I know what the people are like :) I like to imagine most people buying at those stores actually live elsewhere...

Well that would be 3 then, there is Marin Firearms too.

Thrasher416
03-27-2010, 9:57 AM

There are actually quite a few here, they just keep a low profile to keep from attracting attention from the rich, snobby, BMW/ Prius driving, liberal elitist types. In Novato we actually have a small redneck population.

alex00
03-27-2010, 11:35 AM
I have hunted since I was 8. I have raised my children and grandchildren to be comfortable and accurate with handguns and long guns.
I believe CCW #s are remarkably low in Marin. But a CCW is a profound privilege that must be earned and a proficiency demonstrated periodically.

You say you are a staunch supporter of the Second Amendment, yet believe that CCW is a privilege that must be earned. Does this mean that you prefer people to carry openly, and that only qualified people should carry concealed? Do you feel that 12031 is in contradiction with the Second Amendment? As an LEO myself, I have seen my share of armed criminal activity. I often wonder how many violent criminals would be dissuaded by lawfully armed victims.

The only effective way for a law abiding citizen to protect themselves is with a CCW. California's restrictions on possessing loaded firearms in public, and forcing the firearm to be worn openly only give the criminal an advantage. It's unrealistic to think that a victim, surprised by an armed attacker, can effectively draw, load and fire in self defense. Especially when there is no element of surprise on the part of the victim presenting a defensive weapon. The victim's firearm must be displayed openly, giving any would be attacker clear indication, where the firearm is and that it is unloaded.

I would hope that as a supporter of the Second Amendment, you would seriously consider your role as a CLEO, in helping law abiding citizens carry the tools that would help them survive an armed encounter. It seems that the "good cause" requirement has been bastardized into only allowing people with a known threat obtain a CCW. How many people that are robbed at ATM machines, carjacked, or assaulted knew they were going to be attacked? Until the Second Amendment is incorporated upon the States, a CCW is the only way for Californians to effectively bear arms.

bigcalidave
03-27-2010, 1:11 PM
Wait, was that the man running for sheriff himself??

Ken, do you realize that in most other states they give concealed weapons permits to anyone who asks and has no criminal record? Do you also realize that a large number of counties in california ALSO issue with the bare minimum of requirements? Don't take it wrong, I grew up in marin and know that the attitude of people there is not quite normal, but people there have just as much right to protect themselves and their families as we do up here in the north state! Don't forget, we can carry in marin legally. Do you want to be another sheriff that doesn't believe the people in his county are worth it??

A "staunch" 2a supporter will issue CCW to anyone that has a clean criminal background check, and for the "good cause" of "personal protection"
That's all that should be needed...

By the way, make that your policy, and we will do EVERYTHING WE CAN to make sure that you get elected...

Electricboy
03-27-2010, 9:45 PM
:lurk5:

BigDogatPlay
03-28-2010, 10:58 AM
Still mad about the whole Sean Penn incident. :mad:

Sean Penn's permit was not issued by MCSO, but rather by Town of Ross PD where the anger management challenged Mr. Penn has a home.

Just to keep it straight.

-hanko
03-28-2010, 11:19 AM

But a CCW is a profound privilege that must be earned and a proficiency demonstrated periodically.
Unbelievable...try READING the 2nd Amendment.:confused:

-hanko

thebronze
03-28-2010, 1:56 PM
You say you are a staunch supporter of the Second Amendment, yet believe that CCW is a privilege that must be earned. Does this mean that you prefer people to carry openly, and that only qualified people should carry concealed? Do you feel that 12031 is in contradiction with the Second Amendment? As an LEO myself, I have seen my share of armed criminal activity. I often wonder how many violent criminals would be dissuaded by lawfully armed victims.

The only effective way for a law abiding citizen to protect themselves is with a CCW. California's restrictions on possessing loaded firearms in public, and forcing the firearm to be worn openly only give the criminal an advantage. It's unrealistic to think that a victim, surprised by an armed attacker, can effectively draw, load and fire in self defense. Especially when there is no element of surprise on the part of the victim presenting a defensive weapon. The victim's firearm must be displayed openly, giving any would be attacker clear indication, where the firearm is and that it is unloaded.

I would hope that as a supporter of the Second Amendment, you would seriously consider your role as a CLEO, in helping law abiding citizens carry the tools that would help them survive an armed encounter. It seems that the "good cause" requirement has been bastardized into only allowing people with a known threat obtain a CCW. How many people that are robbed at ATM machines, carjacked, or assaulted knew they were going to be attacked? Until the Second Amendment is incorporated upon the States, a CCW is the only way for Californians to effectively bear arms.

This.

odysseus
03-28-2010, 1:59 PM

:gene:

And these are honest questions for you. It would be great to have a dialogue with you as a candidate on these points as a voter.

Mstrty
03-28-2010, 5:16 PM

Marin County Coroner
Calgun login name "Iceman"

It appears he has a sense of humor.
LOL

Thrasher416
03-29-2010, 12:08 AM
Sean Penn's permit was not issued by MCSO, but rather by Town of Ross PD where the anger management challenged Mr. Penn has a home.

My bad, I read this article in the IJ a few years back and thought Doyle had said what the ccw instructor had.

Even if he didn't have anything to do with his Great Benevolence Sean Penn's CCW he is definitely not eager to approve CCW's

Original IJ article-
http://www.marinij.com/marinnews/ci_4427214

DRM6000
03-29-2010, 12:22 AM

according to a marin ij article a few years back, it's estimated that about 75% of the households in marin have guns. they speculate that alot of them are hunting and sport shotguns and hunting rifles. guns are taboo in liberal marin so many owners are tight-lipped when it come to guns.

DRM6000
03-29-2010, 12:27 AM

yup, here's his paperwork: http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive/pennpermit1.html

bigcalidave
03-29-2010, 1:26 AM
I've been having a little email contact with Iceman, he seems like a good candidate. I'm still waiting for an official stand on CCW issuance.

As I said in email, without an official stand, it's impossible to believe the level of support you actually have for the 2nd Amendment.