PDA

View Full Version : OC Sheriff: Who is better at actually fighting crime?

steadyrock
03-25-2010, 10:43 AM
Forget about budgetary prowess, jail reform, CCW stance, and everything else that falls under the Sheriff's umbrella. One of the outstanding questions in my mind when (still) deciding whether to give my vote to Hunt or Hunter, is which one will be better at actually fighting crime? Bottom line, the number of Part 1 crimes in OC has spiked since Hutchens inherited the office, and OC is now a more dangerous place than ever before. I want it to be safe again. And I want our new Sheriff to take us there.

So, I guess it's really a two-part question: Who has a better track record of actually reducing crime, and who has the know-how and ability to execute the necessary changes inside the department in order to achieve that?

Please present logic and verifiable facts, not campaign rhetoric.

IGOTDIRT4U
03-25-2010, 11:05 AM
Neither Hunt nor Hunter have actually "led" an agency , so it's hard to put hard numbers onto either one of them.

As far as leadership, that might be quantifiable. Basically, get department stats for each department they have led and see how many people got promoted upward from their department, how many people were above average in performance, the overall grading of job satisfaction, and how many complaints were filed by department members against the candidate while they headed their departments.

SteveH
03-25-2010, 11:35 AM
The effectiveness of a police force is established by the absence of crime. Not by the number of arrests.

That said OC needs a Sheriff who will encourage his Deputies to get out of the office and do self initiated activity. Hutchens seems to be trying to force a firefighter like stategy. Sit at the station and wait for a call.

yellowfin
03-25-2010, 12:16 PM
Fighting crime? Hutchens IS the crime.

GuyW
03-25-2010, 3:47 PM
how many people were above average in performance,

...are these some of those mythical places where everyone is above average??

IGOTDIRT4U
03-25-2010, 3:49 PM
...are these some of those mythical places where everyone is above average??

lol, yeah. Or, if you work where my wife does, below this year.

hnoppenberger
03-25-2010, 4:11 PM
Fighting crime? Hutchens IS the crime.
QFT.