PDA

View Full Version : CCW eligibilty for prior conviction

sfbaygeek
03-25-2010, 9:45 AM
Hi there, long time lurker, first time poster

I know that during the CCW permit process they do a background check, now the only 2 things I have is an overturned conviction for petty theft when I was 18 and a loaded firearm in a public place conviction in 1995. I could have that one overturned and I probably will since more and more employers are running background checks these days.

I currently own a couple of guns that I purchased from FFL normally, so I don't have any restrictions on owning/possessing but I am wondering if a CCW application would get denied on the basis of either of my two convictions, especially the loaded gun one. Or if I got the loaded gun conviction overturned would it even show up as a conviction to LEO anymore (I have heard it might on certain background checks)

I would like some of the dumb mistakes of my youth to not haunt me for the rest of my life.

Anyone else have similar situation or some experience with this?

Thank you in advance! :)

Billy Jack
03-25-2010, 5:08 PM

I know that during the CCW permit process they do a background check, now the only 2 things I have is an overturned conviction for petty theft when I was 18 and a loaded firearm in a public place conviction in 1995. I could have that one overturned and I probably will since more and more employers are running background checks these days.

I currently own a couple of guns that I purchased from FFL normally, so I don't have any restrictions on owning/possessing but I am wondering if a CCW application would get denied on the basis of either of my two convictions, especially the loaded gun one. Or if I got the loaded gun conviction overturned would it even show up as a conviction to LEO anymore (I have heard it might on certain background checks)

I would like some of the dumb mistakes of my youth to not haunt me for the rest of my life.

Anyone else have similar situation or some experience with this?

The DOJ Application asks for all arrests, not all convictions. You have to disclose all, even those that have been sealed. How they affect your application depends on many factors. What county you reside in, your GC, and more importantly, how you explain each incident to your interviewer.

Good luck.

Billy Jack

www.californiaconcealedcarry.com

Roseville Ranger
03-25-2010, 6:22 PM
when i applied they pulled a hit in run when i was 16(i was the one hit by a friend) i didnt even now that was in a file for any reason. and i had to explain it. doesnt sound like you'll have a great chance but you might be able to explain them away.

crowbar1
03-27-2010, 12:01 AM
I hate to say it, but the loaded firearm charge will make it an up-hill battle for you to make them willing to grant you a CCW (even if you get it over-turned). The applications almost always ask for ANY firearms related charges or incidents no matter what the outcome was.

I have had a CCW since 1998, and EVERY TIME I renew, they ask that question. I asked why it mattered if the person was found not guilty and the reply was something like:

"We don't want to take the risk of a CCW holder having a weapon related event in their past, because if that person uses the CCW weapon for any reason, then the victim (or their family) could hold the department liable for issuing a CCW to a person that had a history of gun issues"

I'm not saying you can't get a CCW, but be sure and have all of your ducks in a row because they will want ALL of the details!

moneymaker88
03-27-2010, 12:27 AM
I think it depends where you are applying. In 1996 I got a ticket for discharge of a firearm in a campground area on BLM land by lake Beryessa. I was not arrested, I think, only cited plead guilty to a misdeameanor paid $150 fine. I got my CCW about 2 months ago. This was in Butte county which is a little more liberal CCW wise. But put everything on your application even if your not sure. If they find it and you didnt tell them, they will not be too happy. Hopefully you live in Napa County. The Napa county SO is very fair when it comes to issuing.

neuron
03-27-2010, 10:00 PM

I know that during the CCW permit process they do a background check, now the only 2 things I have is an overturned conviction for petty theft when I was 18 and a loaded firearm in a public place conviction in 1995....I would like some of the dumb mistakes of my youth to not haunt me for the rest of my life...

The "overturned" (whatever that means) PT "conviction" should not be a real problem...I guess you mean that you were actually "convicted" of this misdemeanor at some point, but it was "overturned" on appeal, which is to say that a "guilty" verdict was replaced in your criminal record by a "not-guilty" finding. Am I wrong?

As to the "loaded firearm" conviction, that is another matter, and potentially more serious. As has been posted by others, that could be a real problem for you, since it means you were convicted of a firearms-related criminal offense...

I assume you are not a "Troll" poster and want honest advice from the good people on CGN. Therefore my honest advice is to consult an attorney to help you with your CCW application, and I wish you good luck in your endeavor.