PDA

View Full Version : Gauging interest in helping out at Tumey Hills.. welding

Turbinator
03-25-2010, 7:28 AM
Folks,

There is some work being done by the BLM rangers on Tumey Hills:

We have started the work at the East Tumey and Griswald Hills Access Points. Both are being moved away from the county road and will have a welded pipe entrance, graveled roadand parking, vault toilet, shade structure, and info/interprative kiosk. We have completed 90% of the welded pipe entrances at both sites. We areplanning on placing the baserock at Tumey early next week and Griswald later in the week. We have about 130' of 2-rail barrier to place at both sites adjacent to the parking areas which will start in the next week or two. If you have resources who would like to take some of it on let's talk.

I am trying to find out exactly what kind of help they could use, I think they need someone who can weld in the field, and probably strong volunteers who can help lift the piping into place for the installation.

The work is already underway, so there will be actual staff there (or contractors) working on the project.

I think they need welding help - but will find out what else they need.

Who here is not only interested and able, but willing to get out there and help with the work? Please respond in-thread - thanks!

Turby

Turbinator
03-30-2010, 10:24 PM
Ok - given that I've gotten no PM's or replies to this thread, I guess no one can help the rangers out. I could have sworn there were some folks who claimed they could do field welding....

Turby

Acorn556
04-09-2010, 3:30 AM
I can't weld but depending on the weekend I might be able to lift stuff. I have a friend or two that can weld in the field most of the time. Just depends what THEY have going on that weekend. If someone has a good bench rest we can sight in a scope with that might help him come down.

diginit
04-09-2010, 8:09 PM
You mean we can only walk in to hunt? Or are they just fencing off the access road a certain distance from main the road to aviod shooting near it? This is going to upset alot of folks I know if it is a walk in only.
Is there a link to the info? TIA

Turbinator
04-09-2010, 9:31 PM
You mean we can only walk in to hunt? Or are they just fencing off the access road a certain distance from main the road to aviod shooting near it? This is going to upset alot of folks I know if it is a walk in only.
Is there a link to the info? TIA

There is no link to information - this was a verbal from the BLM rangers to me when I called them on the phone.

From what he described, it sounded like it would be set up as sort of an actual range setup - and it would be walk-in basis. Yeah, it might upset some people, but that's what we get when people junk up our BLM lands.

Turby

Turbinator
04-09-2010, 9:32 PM
I can't weld but depending on the weekend I might be able to lift stuff. I have a friend or two that can weld in the field most of the time. Just depends what THEY have going on that weekend. If someone has a good bench rest we can sight in a scope with that might help him come down.

I'm actually not sure exactly where Tumey Hills is :) I know it's in the same area / region as Panoche. I guess I should go look it up.

I don't know anyone with a good bench rest setup. Perhaps another member here has something that could work to help entice your buddy to do some welding.

I guess the thing is, if he isn't interested or willing to help just to help keep up our BLM, then I wouldn't bother trying to "bribe" him to help out.

Turby

Purple K
04-09-2010, 10:10 PM
I am still a certified welder, what are the dates?

diginit
04-09-2010, 11:05 PM
There is no link to information - this was a verbal from the BLM rangers to me when I called them on the phone.

From what he described, it sounded like it would be set up as sort of an actual range setup - and it would be walk-in basis. Yeah, it might upset some people, but that's what we get when people junk up our BLM lands.

Turby

Kinda sorry SJGunguy21 and myself wasted 3 hours of shooting time to clean up the Zombie shoots mess. :mad: This sucks for hunters that have had their spots there for years. Did the Fkn Sierra Club have their grubby hands in this?

Shoot-it
04-10-2010, 12:06 AM
I can notch black pipe and arch weld 6011- 7018 torch etc, but you want us welders to make a gate to keep us off blm F that ! They can build their own gate.I am not making a rope to hang myself.

Turbinator
04-10-2010, 6:57 AM
Ok, keep it down, guys. Lemme call them and find out what's up.

Turby

diginit
04-12-2010, 8:47 PM
Shoot-it beat me to it......

smp89
04-25-2010, 9:48 PM
What was the end result?

diginit
04-25-2010, 10:01 PM
Sounds obvious to me, The rangers will make a designated shooting spot that will be dangerous due to too many yahoos ignoring ceace fires and leaving garbage, and eventually shut it down completely. THIS SUCKS! I know some people that have hunted there for years. They are going to be more upset as I am. If they think I will help close this beautiful place, They are sadly mistaken. If they come up with a way to keep this PUBLIC LAND OPEN, I will gladly assist.