PDA

View Full Version : Update on AB1663... apparently not dead.

unusedusername
03-24-2010, 11:15 PM
Hello,

I got this mail today from the GGNRAMC.... Wanted to share it so that everyone is not so glum....

I'm paraphrasing as like most MC things I can't copy it to the public directly...

I'm only putting the things in here that you can get off the assembly webpage anyways.

FIRST, 1663 IS NOT DEAD.

Assemblyman Hagman's staff's message wasn't clear, it is being revised.

The Bill, like almost all bills in committees, was granted RECONSIDERATION where at any upcoming meetings of the ASSEMBLY PUBLIC SAFETY COMMITTEE (APSC hereafter) it can be voted upon again.

We need to continue to contact those committee members, regardless of when those meeting(s) occur.

http://calnra.com/legs.shtml?year=2010&summary=ab1663

03/24/2010 - AB 1663, NRA-sponsored repeal of AB962, failed in its first vote in the Assembly Public Safety Committee - 2 Yes (Hagman, Gilmore). 4 No (Ammiano, Beall, Skinner, Hill) and 1 Abstention (Portantino). The bill is on reconsideration and may come up for another vote in the future weeks. Keep making calls and sending letters, emails and faxes to the Committee!.

proxiedjohnny
03-25-2010, 2:22 AM
Unless the makeup of the committee changes I doubt the vote will be different. Even if Assemblyman Anthony Portantino shows up and votes AYE it'll still fail to advance through the committee.

OleCuss
03-25-2010, 4:11 AM
Unless the makeup of the committee changes I doubt the vote will be different. Even if Assemblyman Anthony Portantino shows up and votes AYE it'll still fail to advance through the committee.

This!

The legislation was deader than a doornail when it was proposed. But it was (and still can be) a vehicle which could and still might be used to show that there are many who are actively supporting our civil rights.

So even if there is just no chance of passage at this time it doesn't necessarily follow that it was or is a useless exercise.

yellowfin
03-25-2010, 5:13 AM
At very least the other side has to block our punches instead of having all their time available for throwing their own.

Desert Dude
03-25-2010, 8:58 AM
So where is is all the talk about the court case that Cal Guns, or someone (they) say is ready to go? WHY WAIT? Do it now. If we are to stay on top of this crap, why not dump on it NOW? WHY WAIT?

CHS
03-25-2010, 9:15 AM
So where is is all the talk about the court case that Cal Guns, or someone (they) say is ready to go? WHY WAIT? Do it now. If we are to stay on top of this crap, why not dump on it NOW? WHY WAIT?

Ever heard of McDonald?

That's why.

bomb_on_bus
03-25-2010, 9:17 AM
but with 1663 almost out of the picture how effective will mcdonald be? not stirring the pot but just curious.

PolishMike
03-25-2010, 9:19 AM
We have to rely on federal courts, not our state legislature to change this.

wildhawker
03-25-2010, 9:29 AM
Trust me when I tell you we haven't forgotten about it. :43: Hang tight, Desert Dude; it's coming in 2 weeks.

bwiese
03-25-2010, 9:44 AM

Because, sonny boy, there's this little thing called ducks-in-a-row and preparation. But we're pretty well down the road.

We've seen the damage unthought-out half-arsed lawsuits do - look at Silviera.

bomb_on_bus
03-25-2010, 9:51 AM
but with 1663 on the back burner do you guys still have the ability for a full court press or was 1663 small potatoes compaired to with planned with CGN

not-fishing
03-25-2010, 10:13 AM
962 put us under seige.

So now we must stock up.

I've sent a question to DOJ over 962 implementation.

I figure I'll just order enough supplies for a number of years of shooting.

elenius
03-25-2010, 11:02 AM
Let me guess: The bill will be reconsidered once the lawsuit has been filed? :)

Maybe our (supposedly gun-friendly) AG can advice the legislature that they will lose the suit and should just pass the bill...

Quser.619
03-25-2010, 1:20 PM
Let me guess: The bill will be reconsidered once the lawsuit has been filed? :)

Maybe our (supposedly gun-friendly) AG can advice the legislature that they will lose the suit and should just pass the bill...

What throw out of alignment an entire state's chakra's? My prediction is that Brown camp goes completely silent or overly general about any 2A issues during the campaign & does nothing if he wins. Of course doing nothing would be an improvement over the last 2 governors!

N6ATF
03-25-2010, 1:24 PM
What throw out of alignment an entire state's chakra's? My prediction is that Brown camp goes completely silent or overly general about any 2A issues during the campaign & does nothing if he wins. Of course doing nothing would be an improvement over the last 2 governors!

Except don't the victim disarmament bills automatically become law if he doesn't sign or veto them by a deadline?

tiki
03-25-2010, 1:42 PM
I would rather it get slammed in court. If the bill gets repealed, then it can always come up in the future. If it isn't repealed, then a plaintiff has standing to sue and when the court slams it down, its done.

stag1500
03-25-2010, 1:43 PM
Except don't the victim disarmament bills automatically become law if he doesn't sign or veto them by a deadline?

Correct.

elenius
03-25-2010, 3:05 PM
Correct.

I was talking about the Attorney General, not the Governor. I imagine the AG can give legal advice to the legislature? Maybe they have their own lawyers.

inbox485
03-25-2010, 5:37 PM
This!

The legislation was deader than a doornail when it was proposed. But it was (and still can be) a vehicle which could and still might be used to show that there are many who are actively supporting our civil rights.

So even if there is just no chance of passage at this time it doesn't necessarily follow that it was or is a useless exercise.

Don't fall for this. This is the same bull that let the tax hike pass. Anti-liberty politicians play a game were they claim to be pro-liberty and anti-taxes to get votes, and cover for each other by having a narrow minority vote against the tax hikes and bans while refusing to take any action against the ones that vote for them.

Bearclaw
03-25-2010, 6:05 PM
Look....all I know is that I don't want to have to deal with all the junk like fingerprinting, just to buy some ammo. So let's try and keep sending emails to the committee members, and just keep hounding them until there is a definite end to this issue. The way I see it....if they can piss away my tax dollars on such useless legislation, then I can darn well piss away my time bugging them!

Bearclaw
04-08-2010, 4:27 PM
Got a letter in the mail the other day actually signed (IN INK) from Mr. Jim Beall himself. It basically said that "I recieved your email and phone messages, and I really do appreciate your opinion. Unfortunately, based upon the stance of Law Enforcement and Voters in our district, I could not vote for this bill."
Phew!....I feel so much better now that I know he did hear my voice and chose to ignore it anyway.

CHS
04-08-2010, 5:26 PM
Phew!....I feel so much better now that I know he did hear my voice and chose to ignore it anyway.

He didn't ignore your voice.

He listened to you and all the other voters in his district, and they simply outnumbered you.

He listened to the voice that is most likely to get him re-election. That's called politics.

advocatusdiaboli
04-08-2010, 7:41 PM
Because, sonny boy, there's this little thing called ducks-in-a-row and preparation.

I love this forum :snicker:

advocatusdiaboli
04-08-2010, 7:43 PM

That's how the Governator passive/aggressively made the Ammo Ban law if you'll all recall. easier to ask forgiveness than permission I guess. Snake.

advocatusdiaboli
04-08-2010, 7:47 PM
ook....all I know is that I don't want to have to deal with all the junk like fingerprinting, just to buy some ammo.

Then you'll do what I am doing now (buying up what I can afford), building up to re-load, and then after Feb 2011, I'll be making a pilgrimage to Nevada a few times a year to stock up. Car pools anyone--Cabela's and other shops in Reno. Heck if I time it right, I can get a little fly fishing in along the Eastside.

CHS
04-08-2010, 8:50 PM
That's how the Governator passive/aggressively made the Ammo Ban law if you'll all recall. easier to ask forgiveness than permission I guess. Snake.

Nope.

Our Governor happily signed it and made a big press release about how wonderful it would be and how much crime it would prevent.

N6ATF
04-08-2010, 8:56 PM
Nope.

Our Governor happily signed it and made a big press release about how wonderful it would be and how much crime it would prevent.

... in newspeak, where everything is the opposite of what it actually is. It's going to be terrible and stimulate crime, no other reason for the bill to be signed.

Bearclaw
04-09-2010, 11:54 AM
He didn't ignore your voice.

He listened to you and all the other voters in his district, and they simply outnumbered you.

He listened to the voice that is most likely to get him re-election. That's called politics.

I know....just doesn't make me feel any better about living in PRK. I just had to gripe a little, you know?

I actually sent him another email today regarding AB1810. I encourage all to get a hold of your representatives and encourage them to vote no on this bill. It would require long guns to be registered in the same fashion that handguns are.

Bearclaw
04-09-2010, 11:55 AM
Then you'll do what I am doing now (buying up what I can afford), building up to re-load, and then after Feb 2011, I'll be making a pilgrimage to Nevada a few times a year to stock up. Car pools anyone--Cabela's and other shops in Reno. Heck if I time it right, I can get a little fly fishing in along the Eastside.

that's what I've been doing....I'm game.

Untamed1972
04-09-2010, 12:29 PM
Look....all I know is that I don't want to have to deal with all the junk like fingerprinting, just to buy some ammo. So let's try and keep sending emails to the committee members, and just keep hounding them until there is a definite end to this issue. The way I see it....if they can piss away my tax dollars on such useless legislation, then I can darn well piss away my time bugging them!

I suspect that AZ will getting my ammo revenue from that point on. F CA and their stupid fingerprint laws. If any of these other bills go thru I may hafta considering taking ALL of my earnings out of this state to someplace where freedom and liberty are actually repsected.....and wait for CA to implode and just come back once all the anti's and libtards and finished devouring eachother.

Doug L
04-09-2010, 5:01 PM
At very least the other side has to block our punches instead of having all their time available for throwing their own.

This is a sound tactic.

Hang tight, Desert Dude; it's coming in 2 weeks.

I'm eagerly awaiting some good news.

...So let's try and keep sending emails to the committee members, and just keep hounding them until there is a definite end to this issue...

Absolutely!

... in newspeak, where everything is the opposite of what it actually is, it means: 'It's going to be terrible and stimulate crime,'

My hearty congratulations! You've learned how to decipher their language.

inbox485
04-12-2010, 8:58 AM
Trust me when I tell you we haven't forgotten about it. :43: Hang tight, Desert Dude; it's coming in 2 weeks™.

You forgot the ™ symbol. :)