PDA

View Full Version : What AR10 Lowers are legal in CALI????

1lostinspace
03-24-2010, 11:38 PM
I have a friend that has an Armalite upper and is looking for a compatible lower that is legal in California.
Please let me know what is a good lower for a good price he can get, a link to it would really help.

6172crew
03-24-2010, 11:57 PM
Noveske makes one.

Not sure what platform the Larue is

1lostinspace
03-25-2010, 12:02 AM
Noveske makes one.

Not sure what platform the Larue is

Price ?

ke6guj
03-25-2010, 12:20 AM
here is a small list of armalite-pattern receivers. There may be more out there as well.

CMMG (Armalite Type, DPMS Type, DPMS/G3 Type (takes DPMS uppers, G3 Magazines)

Aero Precision (Armalite Type)

Noveske (Armalite Type)

Eagle Arms (Armalite Type) "not CA-legal since they usually say Armalite and AR-10 on them".

Pricing on these seem to go from $250 and up.

bwiese
03-25-2010, 12:20 AM
"AR10" is loosely used to mean 308 ARs. But there are several systems.

The ones off the top of my head I can remember:

Armalite AR10-compatible:
- Armalite AR10 (banned by name)
- Noveske N6 (OLL)
- AeroPrecision (OLL)
- Aircraft Armament (OLL, low production volume)

DPMS/etc. compatible
DPMS Panther LR308 (banned by name)
Fulton Armory (OLL)
Rock River Arms (OLL, uncertain of exact model #)
Kaiser Defense (OLL, now out of biz or changed to JD? below?)
JD Machine (OLL)

Knight's Armament also exists on its own but is banned by name.

bigstick61
03-25-2010, 1:52 AM
Would the original Armalite AR-10 or the later AI produced ones be legal in California? I'd love to have one of those someday.

zukieast
03-25-2010, 6:50 AM
Take note that any of the Armalite actual uppers and lowers are very different than most of the other companies.

The Lower has extra reinforcement in the rear near the buffer tube right above the web of the hand grip. So the uppers are cut at an angle.

While most uppers from non Armalite products the uppers and lowers just look like oversized AR's.

Take a look at Armalites website and try to compare the upper and lower receivers to make sure you are going to get the correct lower.

jamesob
03-25-2010, 7:18 AM
all of the above plus hesse. they are not as nice but you can pick them up sometimes for 150.00

1911 Rookie
03-25-2010, 8:01 AM
CMMG makes a couple options, I think they have both DPMS and AR10 compatible lowers.

CHS
03-25-2010, 8:44 AM
I have a friend that has an Armalite upper and is looking for a compatible lower that is legal in California.
Please let me know what is a good lower for a good price he can get, a link to it would really help.

All of them are except the ones marked "Armalite", "DPMS Panther" or "Knights SR-25".

EBR Works
03-25-2010, 11:17 AM
One more to add to bwiese's list..

DPMS/etc. compatible
Fulton Armory (OLL)
JD Machine (OLL)
POF P-308 (OLL)

PolishMike
03-25-2010, 11:19 AM
I have JD's in stock!

IGOTDIRT4U
03-25-2010, 11:22 AM

DPMS/etc. compatible
Fulton Armory (OLL)
JD Machine (OLL)
POF P-308 (OLL)

:43:

jtippins
03-25-2010, 11:23 AM
I have a RRA LAR8, it's a very nice FA, however, the bullet button is special order through Golden State Tactical. No matter what you hear, a standard BB or combo thereof does not work with it.

Super lower though.

PM with questions.

The ones off the top of my head I can remember:

Armalite AR10-compatible:
- Armalite AR10 (banned by name)
- Noveske N6 (OLL)
- AeroPrecision (OLL)
- Aircraft Armament (OLL, low production volume)

DPMS/etc. compatible
Fulton Armory (OLL)
JD Machine (OLL)

Knight's Armament also exists on its own but is banned by name.

Maestro Pistolero
03-25-2010, 1:12 PM
Armalite is the only company that makes the AR-10 by name, and the only company who has trademarked the name. The term 'AR-10' is sometimes erroneously used to refer to other fine .308/7.62 AR-type rifles. If you make that mistake on the Armalite forum at AR15.com you will be seriously flamed. It would be akin to saying 'Chevy Expedition'.

As mentioned, there a few other companies (Noveske, etc) who do make the identical configuration, but who also cannot use the AR10 designation, as it is proprietary to Armalite. Besides using different mags, there are geometric differences in the design of the receivers that make interchangeability with other .308 AR's impossible.

bomb_on_bus
03-25-2010, 4:30 PM
Armalite is the only company that makes the AR-10 by name, and the only company who has trademarked the name. The term 'AR-10' is sometimes erroneously used to refer to other fine .308/7.62 AR-type rifles. If you make that mistake on the Armalite forum at AR15.com you will be seriously flamed. It would be akin to saying 'Chevy Expedition'.

that website is full of internet commandos and lots of FUD to be sifted through to get to the good stuff.

your best bet is to say an AR style .308 or .308 ar platform......... something of that nature.

kaiserworks
03-31-2010, 10:01 AM
The OP wanted a lower to fit his Armalite AR 10 upper.

Aero Precision makes Armalites AR10 lowers (and Noveske's) and are identical in every way.
Aero's product is CA legal and can usually be found somewhat cheaper than Armalite and Noveske labeled products. Aero is your best bet.

DPMS/etc. compatible
Fulton Armory (OLL)
JD Machine (OLL)
POF P-308 (OLL)

Kaiser is currently making precision dpms compatible lowers and complete .308 rifle platforms.
calguns thread (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=278494&highlight=kaiser)

Maestro Pistolero
03-31-2010, 12:54 PM
A phone rep at Armalite told me that certain companies (Aero, Noveske, I assume) are doing this with quiet support and a nod from Armalite, since Armalite is locked out of the CA market.

I don't see how this law isn't arbitrary and capricious, and in violation of due process, as some companies are prohibited from selling products that are identical to those legally sold by other companies.

This seems very vulnerable to challenge, but I don't doubt that this issue is in it's proper place in line. All in due time, I suppose.

GMONEY
03-31-2010, 2:52 PM
aero in stock here for $284.95

http://www.762sass.com/product.php?p=145&cid=2&session=1f23f339e09423af2b9e601f9dfe4882

Armalite compatible...

Jpach
03-31-2010, 2:56 PM
I think need to make a sticky on this. This question has been asked and answered a lot lately (no offense to you 1lostinspace ;)) and I think it would be helpful to not only noobs, but also to people who have been here a while and want to know what the latest .308 AR and AR-10 type platforms are.