View Full Version : Age Rage: 81-year-old woman shoots 73-year-old neighbor...

03-24-2010, 6:36 PM

An 81-year-old Queens woman tried to kill Latin-jazz great Eddie Palmieri's wife, shooting her in a dispute fueled by jealousy, noise complaints and ethnic tensions, authorities said.

Geriatric gunslinger Maria Cartagena fired once at Iraida Palmieri, 73, grazing her head Tuesday night near the elevator in their Forest Hills condo building, officials said.

"Move over or I'm gonna kill ya!" she repeatedly yelled before pulling a .38-caliber revolver from a fanny pack and firing once, according to law enforcement sources.

Cartagena believed Iraida Palmieri had made romantic advances toward her husband, Rafael Cartagena, 60, a source said.

Rafael Cartagena, a city bus driver, denied a romance with the victim, saying the feud was really about noisy neighbors.

"These people were banging on the floor at all hours," Rafael Cartagena said last night. "My wife was on the brink of a nervous breakdown."

The Palmieris live one floor above the Cartagenas at 100-26 67th Road. The women have lodged numerous noise complaints against each other on the city's 311 line, law enforcement sources and neighbors said.

Rafael Cartagena said the feud also stemmed from the fact that he and his wife are Dominican while the Palmieris are Puerto Rican.

"She [Iraida Palmieri] told my wife that if we didn't move out, they were going to send us to the Dominican in boxes, meaning they were going to kill us," he said. "My wife felt threatened. That's why she did what she did."

Iraida Palmieri, who inspired the song "Iraida" by her husband, was treated at Jamaica Hospital and released.

"This is a very difficult time for my family," Eddie Palmieri, 73, a nine-time Grammy Award winner, said in a statement.

"Right now, I am focused on one thing, the well-being and safety of my family. That is all there is to say at the moment. Please respect our privacy."

Palmieri's daughter, Gabriela, told the Daily News her mother was "doing well and she's with her family resting."

Cops said the confrontation happened at 7:40 p.m. Tuesday as Iraida Palmieri headed downstairs.

When the elevator stopped on the fourth-floor, Maria Cartegena was standing right there, outside her apartment door, with her husband's registered pistol.

Cartagena told detectives she felt threatened by Palmieri.

"I was walking out and saw her standing in between the elevator doors. She said she was there for problems and had scissors," Cartagena told detectives, according to sources.

"I ran inside, got the gun and came out. I told her to leave and pointed the gun at her. She wouldn't leave, so I shot her. Then she left."

Cartagena, held last night in lieu of $25,000 bail, is charged with attempted murder and assault. Her husband was arrested for possession of an illegal knife.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/ny_crime/2010/03/24/2010-03-24_envy_guns_knives___and_all_that_jazz.html#ixzz0 j9UB0fZI

03-24-2010, 9:18 PM
That woman is :nuts:

03-25-2010, 9:00 AM
I thought handguns were illegal in NYC?

03-25-2010, 9:07 AM
It would be interesting to see an 81 year old in a orange county jump suit wearing a do rag

by the sounds of things common sense left this womans train of thought a long long time ago

03-25-2010, 11:11 AM
I thought handguns were illegal in NYC?

And butter knives. You can't forget the butter knives.

03-25-2010, 11:32 AM
Puertoricans do NOT like Dominicans generally speaking... Doesent usually get to blows though

03-26-2010, 9:37 AM

03-26-2010, 9:43 AM
and the husband was arrested for having a fully auto assault knife, that was black and evil!

03-26-2010, 9:50 AM
But she was just turning her life around...

03-26-2010, 10:24 AM
The 81 year old woman is married to a 60 year old man? She's crazy like a fox! She also packs heat and knows how to use it when threatened. What's not to like? ;)