PDA

View Full Version : a new thought on 3- gun

Gunfighter01
02-08-2006, 6:37 PM
This my not be the place to post this, but here goes anyway,,,,,, instead of everybody trying to figure out how to get around the AWB, has anybody considered buying a .22 cal version of AR?,,,,,i saw a nice bushmaster .22 caliber AR, although i dont care for the carbon fiber models, but hey, its still an AR, and far as i know, it would be legal to own in calif, unless someone has different information regarding .22 cal AR's.........and how about these match directors adding a new classification of rifle in your 3-gun matches,,, THE .22 CALIBER AR CLASS?,,,,,, would anybody go for this idea?

rkt88edmo
02-08-2006, 7:29 PM
I've heard of some folks conduct informal RIPSC shooting (rimfire ipsc). I doubt you would get much interest escept for a rimfire only event. In fact, 3-gun seems to be going the opposite way with the ironman division (.45ACP, 12g. pump, and a .308 or larger)

shooterx10
02-09-2006, 11:21 AM
I think with the flood of off-list AR receivers coming into the state, that once this stuff with the DOJ memo clears and we can register the receivers AND not neuter them, there might be a revival of 3-gunners in this state.

Before, one of the biggest stumbling blocks for 3-gun newbies in this state was that they could not get an AR-15. An M1A is too heavy and fires the .308 Win. You can not carry as much firepower (rounds in mag) as you can with an AR-15 without it being too heavy.

Build up your new AR lower and put on a JP Rifles upper (or similar performance upper of your choice) and you'll be ready to ROCK! :D

http://www.jprifles.com/photos/CTR02N2%20copy.jpg

With the laws here, it will be hard to get into Open division unless someone has a STI Open pistol that they can PPT to you. But, be perfectly happy with Tactical or even Limited Division!

So, what's the deal with Iron Man Division? Not enough interest?

3GunFunShooter
02-09-2006, 11:32 PM
You can be competitive with a Ruger Mini 14, If you get it set up right.
ASI conversions are the best choice for the Mini. I can hit the 10" plates at 300 yards with no problem. I did better than 50% of the shooters on the long range stage at the USPSA 3 gun nationals. Only problem with the Mini are the mag changes. A little slower.
Kel-Tec is also an option. They use AR mags. Some IDPA clubs have 3 gun matches and limit the rifle count to 10 round mags.
A 870 or Mossberg pump is fine. Auto's are a little quicker, less recoil, but shotgun is all about reloading.
I shoot a Glock or Springfield XD.
Just get out and shoot.