PDA

View Full Version : thinking about ffl

Phillip1974
03-24-2010, 11:51 AM
Hi all

glad i found this forum. I live in antelope valley area, always thought about going for a ffl probably more so this year but the process seems a little scary.
The one reason i would like to get it is mostly for being able to buy for myself. also the think it would be awesome side buisness.
Just wondering what i'm in for process wise i know most people say i need to get a local buisness license first , do i need to actualy have a brick and morter building or can i use my home ?

would like to hear from people who has just rencelty got there license also do i have to take a additional gunsmith class as well

I been looking at those ffl kits are those pretty much scams.

thanks

phillip

ocspeedracer
03-24-2010, 11:56 AM
I don't know much...but i do know you do need a business license first, your home can be okay for the FFL but it will depend on your local laws.
For the gunsmith part, you need brick and mortor in my area and it can't be at your resedence.

Like i said, your best bet is to look into the local ordinances and what not first.

Good luck!

kemasa
03-24-2010, 12:39 PM
Unless you do it from a retail store, you are SOL. You are in LA County and the county does not allow businesses which require people to come to the house. I used to live in LA County, but in a city which used the county to do the licenses and it was a pain as the County lies. Fortunately, the person at the Sheriff's license detail helped me. It is amazing what a pager number can do, even when they refuse to page the person.

billslugg
03-24-2010, 8:22 PM
If you are engaged in a profit making venture and you need to keep a gun over 24 hours then you need an FFL. It does not have to be gun smithing. You could do nothing but sit around and knit little covers for hand guns and still need an FFL. As long as you needed the gun to be there for over 24 hours so you can fit the little sock around it. The ATF is concerned for security.

All you need is to find a business that the city will allow that the Feds would require an FFL for.

I do not know if the ATF would stamp your license NO SALES or not. That is one possibility I need to check on.

tenpercentfirearms
03-24-2010, 9:01 PM
Unless you do it from a retail store, you are SOL. You are in LA County and the county does not allow businesses which require people to come to the house. I used to live in LA County, but in a city which used the county to do the licenses and it was a pain as the County lies. Fortunately, the person at the Sheriff's license detail helped me. It is amazing what a pager number can do, even when they refuse to page the person.

It sounds like you got your answer, but just in case you don't believe kemasa, you must get your business license first. Do nothing else before getting a business license. Good luck.

kemasa
03-25-2010, 8:36 AM
When I tried to get an LA County license, they refused to even give me the application until I told them that I had the pager number for the person at the license detail and said that he said to page him. The woman went to the phone and called someone, told the person that I had the pager number and asked what to do. She then gave me the application.

If you happen to live in a city, not just the county, and the city allows it, but uses the county for the licenses, you need to get in contact with the Sheriff's license detail and get their information so that you are prepared when you deal with the County license office.

Phillip1974
03-25-2010, 1:20 PM
Hi All

thanks for the info i will have do some checking around, maybe go to sheriff office this week and see what info i can get.

thanks