PDA

View Full Version : Transfering firearms from father to son?

impreza515
03-24-2010, 8:39 AM
I was doing some reading on the california DOJ website about the transfer requirements if my father was to transfer guns to me.

http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/pubfaqs.php#20

From what I can gather, if he wishes to gift/sell me a shotgun or rifle that is legal in CA, he can do so without needing to file any paperwork or doing any formal transfers.

As for pistols, it appears there is a $19 transfer fee, and a 'intra-familial handgun transaction form' to fill out.

I have a HSC and have bought guns. I know it is legal for me to posses firearms.

Can anybody verify this information is correct, and if it isn't please shed some light on the situation for me.

Beyond that, if someone had a father who lived out of state, are the handgun transfer requirements the same? ie. would he/she be able to have their father transfer to them handguns. Also, would said handgun be required to be on the DOJ list, as that list does not pertain to transfers. (transfers would come with 10 round max capacity magazines of course)
Just curious on this part.

Thanks in advance for any help.

paul0660
03-24-2010, 8:44 AM
you have it all right, except dad/son transfer from out of state has to go thru a FFL 01 AND the pistol does NOT have to be on the list.

impreza515
03-24-2010, 9:06 AM
you have it all right, except dad/son transfer from out of state has to go thru a FFL 01 AND the pistol does NOT have to be on the list.

So theoretically someone with an out of state parent / grandparent would be able to get ahold of off-list pistols, as long as said parent came to visit with the gun and went to a FFL to transfer the handgun?

paul0660
03-24-2010, 9:13 AM
It is not going to a PPT even face to face, I believe, so higher fees might apply, but yes the relative can either come here or ship it to you. Check the FFL forum for dealers willing to do this.

CHS
03-24-2010, 9:31 AM
So theoretically someone with an out of state parent / grandparent would be able to get ahold of off-list pistols, as long as said parent came to visit with the gun and went to a FFL to transfer the handgun?

They can also ship it in, but all interstate transfers MUST utilize the services of an FFL.

lorax3
03-24-2010, 6:48 PM
Beyond that, if someone had a father who lived out of state, are the handgun transfer requirements the same?

They can also ship it in, but all interstate transfers MUST utilize the services of an FFL.

Right. To add, if the handgun has to be transferred through an FFL due to your father being a resident of a different state you would need to be 21.

This is different from when receiving an intra-familial transfer when both you and your parent are CA residents, in which case you would only need be 18 since no FFL is involved.

five.five-six
03-24-2010, 6:57 PM
click here (http://lmgtfy.com/?q=father+son+transfer+site%3Acalguns.net) for a great article on the subject

Biker Buzz
03-24-2010, 7:16 PM

Will this work for the Taurus Judge too?

lorax3
03-24-2010, 7:21 PM
Will this work for the Taurus Judge too?

Negative. The roster is not the issue, the Tarus Judge is a CA defined short-barreled shotgun.

markw
03-24-2010, 11:07 PM

There's no theory about it. It's one of the few ways you can get an off roster pistol. Yup, it's nice having your parents live in another state. :)

JDay
03-24-2010, 11:19 PM

There is an exception if its an inheritance.