PDA

View Full Version : How safe do you feel knowing there are people around legally carrying concealed guns?

sepiid
03-24-2010, 8:12 AM
http://world-news.newsvine.com/_question/2010/03/23/4036468-how-safe-do-you-feel-knowing-there-are-people-around-legally-carrying-concealed-guns

a poll to go with a story
its 3 pages, so will just post the link for now
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/34714389/ns/us_news-life/

Bugei
03-24-2010, 8:15 AM
Hit it. 71.5% "Very safe" as of 8:14am.

ZombieTactics
03-24-2010, 8:35 AM
A surprisingly balanced article, BTW.

alex00
03-24-2010, 8:42 AM
I had to laugh at the comments. Most of the Pro-CCW comments were rational thoughts, while the Anti-CCW comments were about "rednecks with guns" and irrational fears. It pretty much sums up what everyone here has been saying, but it's nice to see the same comments and attitude on a non-gun site.

Ronco
03-24-2010, 8:50 AM
How safe do you feel knowing there are people around legally carrying concealed guns?

I feel fine. I hope criminals don't though.

QuarterBoreGunner
03-24-2010, 8:58 AM
Most absurd statement in the article:

Kristen Rand, legislative director for the Violence Policy Center, a gun-control group, said “...The industry constantly has to look for a way to make a guy who already owns 15 guns buy a new one.”

That's ridiculous; like it's difficult to *convince* a guy he needs to buy another gun.

BluNorthern
03-24-2010, 9:01 AM
Depressing and sad reading the negative comments in their poll. Uninformed individuals ruled by ignorance and fear..IMO. They all sound so scared!

cdtx2001
03-24-2010, 9:11 AM

Kristen Rand, legislative director for the Violence Policy Center, a gun-control group, said “...The industry constantly has to look for a way to make a guy who already owns 15 guns buy a new one.”

That's ridiculous; like it's difficult to *convince* a guy he needs to buy another gun.

I wonder how many shoes she owns? She must own more than 5 pairs, and I'm sure she feels the need to buy another pair. If you said that to her, I'm sure she'd counter with "shoes don't kill people blah blah blah" and she would be right, and neither does a gun. The person wearing the shoes can, kicking someone repeatedly can lead to the others death.

I used the same argument on my wife. She doesn't care anymore if I go out and acquire a new gun now and then.

ojisan
03-24-2010, 10:17 AM

Clearly, they know nothing about BRD.
;)

AMDG
03-24-2010, 10:24 AM
Sepiid, you should edit your thread heading to let everyone know its an online poll that they should be hitting.

Mute
03-24-2010, 10:26 AM
Much safer than knowing criminals do so anyway without permits.

Stainned
03-24-2010, 10:28 AM
There are NOT ENOUGH people in Alamedia County that can CCW, therefore I do not feel so safe. This County SUCKS.

Fate
03-24-2010, 10:37 AM
Vote early, vote often (clear your cookies). ;)

Roadrunner
03-24-2010, 10:44 AM
This is the same poll that you can access from this thread. Actually, it's a :dupe:

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=283202

mtptwo
03-24-2010, 12:44 PM
I feel safe even knowing that people around me are carrying illegally concealed guns.

sepiid
03-24-2010, 1:35 PM
Roadrunner, it wasn't a dupe when i posted it. 1 minute faster than the other post.

kuyawil
03-24-2010, 2:20 PM
I wonder how many shoes she owns? She must own more than 5 pairs, and I'm sure she feels the need to buy another pair. If you said that to her, I'm sure she'd counter with "shoes don't kill people blah blah blah" and she would be right, and neither does a gun. The person wearing the shoes can, kicking someone repeatedly can lead to the others death.

I used the same argument on my wife. She doesn't care anymore if I go out and acquire a new gun now and then.

Well said...:rockon:

champion
03-24-2010, 4:36 PM
I had to laugh at the comments. Most of the Pro-CCW comments were rational thoughts, while the Anti-CCW comments were about "rednecks with guns" and irrational fears. It pretty much sums up what everyone here has been saying, but it's nice to see the same comments and attitude on a non-gun site.

Yeah it was hilarious. One woman even said that our country stands for hate, violence, and then said that we do it in the name of Christ. What the......who are these people? It was a balanced article which is shocking coming from Msnbc and the poll doesn't lie. 76.95% when I voted.

CAL.BAR
03-24-2010, 4:50 PM
Depressing and sad reading the negative comments in their poll. Uninformed individuals ruled by ignorance and fear..IMO. They all sound so scared!

Funny - seems like WE are the ones who are always so scared. Just look at the constant posts on the board

"is this legal"
"can I use this hi cap with this. . ."
"what if I find a hi-cap. . ."
"what if a cop asks. . .?"
"Zombies"
"do you sleep armed in a hotel?"
"bathroom guns?"
"did I overreact"
"the census - what if I don't want to"

and my constant fav. - "SHTF"

etc.
etc.

Frankly, CG'ers are the most scared, paranoid un-trusting group I've ever seen. We (in general) Don't trust any level of government, the police or law enforcement in general, and of course don't trust anyone who doesn't support gun rights. About the only people we DO apparently trust, are complete strangers with loaded weapons.

Just something to think about.

AndrewMendez
03-24-2010, 5:03 PM
76.7 FTW
19.5 FTL <<<<< I think I made that one up! :D

Stealth
03-24-2010, 5:23 PM
"is this legal"
"Zombies"
"bathroom guns?"
"did I overreact"

Frankly, CG'ers are the most scared

Most Educated I think. If more of the public asked/answered these questions their confidence in firearms would perhaps have them not go to the knee jerk "Firearms bad. Get rid of all firearms" opinion.

In the case of firearms, Education defeats fear while ignorance breeds it.

CAL.BAR
03-24-2010, 5:26 PM
Most Educated I think. If more of the public asked/answered these questions their confidence in firearms would perhaps have them not go to the knee jerk "Firearms bad. Get rid of all firearms" opinion.

In the case of firearms, Education defeats fear while ignorance breeds it.

yes - but you have to admit "we're" afraid of a lot more than people uneducated about guns. (just look at the posts)

Mstrty
03-24-2010, 5:34 PM
I am absolutely comfortable with people that go though the background checks and currently trained in self defence to carry where ever I am. Those that carry but never practice can make me nervous. Been to a public range lately? Some of these gunslingers have no business holding a weapon even though it is their constitutional right.

GM_77
03-24-2010, 5:57 PM

Quoted for truth!

Silencer
03-24-2010, 6:08 PM
Hey, my vote is not being counted! SHENANIGANS!

alex00
03-24-2010, 6:15 PM
yes - but you have to admit "we're" afraid of a lot more than people uneducated about guns. (just look at the posts)

At least some of the fears here are somewhat loosely based on facts and real life examples. It seems that the uneducated gun fearers base their fears on ignorance, hate and lies. The article mentions several statistics dealing with gun control versus levels of violence, yet that does nothing to convince the gun grabbers that their argument doesn't hold water. The antis still want to hold onto their belief that laxed CCW restrictions will lead to blood running in the streets despite the clear lack of evidence. I think the article mentioned something about 140-150 CCW holders nationwide being involved in some sort of criminal activity over X-amount of time. In a nation of 300-something million those numbers hardly have any kind of statistical relevance. For the most part, Calgunners are at least open to discussion, and can accept reasonable explanations for their 'paranoia'.

I'd much rather have a conversation with someone who hates LEOs because of a bad encounter, versus someone who hates guns. At least some of the LEO bashers are willing to concede that not all LEOs are bad. Try to get a Brady to say that some CCW is good.

bhaworth
03-24-2010, 6:16 PM
I worry about drivers licenses being handed out to people who should never get them, sometimes resulting in tragic, needless accidents.

BluNorthern
03-24-2010, 6:50 PM
Funny - seems like WE are the ones who are always so scared. Just look at the constant posts on the board
"is this legal"
"Zombies"
"bathroom guns?"
"did I overreact"
etc.
etc.
Frankly, CG'ers are the most scared, paranoid un-trusting group I've ever seen. We (in general) Don't trust any level of government, the police or law enforcement in general, and of course don't trust anyone who doesn't support gun rights. About the only people we DO apparently trust, are complete strangers with loaded weapons.
Just something to think about.
With the hodge-podge of laws regarding firearms in California I don’t think it’s ‘scared’
to ask questions about “Is this legal?” magazine capacities, proper ways to transport, LEO’s during a routine stop popping up with “ What’s in the trunk?” etc. I think it’s prudent and cautious. Ignorance of the law….
As far as concerns about wanting a CCW, “do you sleep armed in a hotel”…well, that’s
the world we live in. I’ve had three acquaintances, one being one of my best friends, murdered in the last 23 years. I’m not talking engaged in any illicit activities, one just happened to be sitting in a bar when a murder occurred and they shot him too. Again, I’m not scared, but I am cautious. I’m new to this forum but from what I’ve read the members here seem to have a give and take, some are pretty set in their opinions and not everyone agrees by any means on different topics and interpretations. But scared? I don’t think so.
The irrational, nonsensical, scared silly rants of some of the comments on that poll from the MSNBC story…definitely not. Fear of a gradual erosion of our rights and loss of some of our freedoms, that’s not an irrational fear in my book.

Saym14
03-24-2010, 8:19 PM
I feel fine. I hope criminals don't though.

LOL! those small % that are scared must be the criminals voting!!!!

HondaMasterTech
03-24-2010, 8:43 PM
It frightens me that anyone would want to carry a gun in public. How can any of you honestly think that carrying a gun solves anything? Criminals don't use guns to hurt you, they just want to have power. You can take away their power by calling the police after they leave. When they get arrested, the police will take their guns away and the criminal will go to jail.

I think people need to start showing more compassion for criminals rather than anger and a desire to harm them. If any of you only knew what it was like for them then maybe you would understand. Sadly, none of you do.

QuarterBoreGunner
03-24-2010, 8:48 PM
I think you forgot the 'sarcasm' smiley.

Rob454
03-25-2010, 5:00 AM
I guess it would depend on how sane those people are. Im guessing most people that want to CCW are gonna be pretty sane and good sense. I woudlnt have a problem.

yellowfin
03-25-2010, 5:31 AM
I find I only have a problem with carry laws when I'm in a state that excludes me from doing so, and I'm really looking forward to seeing that number shrink to zero in the next 10-15 years.

SanPedroShooter
03-25-2010, 6:08 AM
the article mentioned that the kid who was shot to death while commiting armed robbery had a family that couldnt sue because of SC casle doctrine. would the same be true in california? I would hate to see someone succesfully defend their life and then get sued for it.

Ronco
03-25-2010, 8:43 AM
It frightens me that anyone would want to carry a gun in public. How can any of you honestly think that carrying a gun solves anything? Criminals don't use guns to hurt you, they just want to have power. You can take away their power by calling the police after they leave. When they get arrested, the police will take their guns away and the criminal will go to jail.

I think people need to start showing more compassion for criminals rather than anger and a desire to harm them. If any of you only knew what it was like for them then maybe you would understand. Sadly, none of you do.

You actually had me going until I got to your 2nd paragraph. :p

N6ATF
03-25-2010, 12:10 PM
San Diego County, CA specific answer: I don't, because they are locked and unloaded, many seconds away from stopping crime, and not deterring it at all.

:rolleyes:

TenSeven
03-25-2010, 5:07 PM
The anti's comments... wow... there are some doozies in there!

:TFH:

Aleksandr Mravinsky
03-25-2010, 6:18 PM
Just hit this poll.
Very Safe- 80% 58,673
In Danger- 16.7% 12,216
Unsure- 2.4% 2460

Some of the comments by the Anti's are just plain humiliating.

Not ready to experience a repeat of the OK Corral.
The OK Corral was a small gunfight that resulted in three deaths. It took place in a city where carrying of weapons (including Bowie knives) was prohibited by all people except those just passing through the town. I don't see how gun control would have prevented the few deaths that occurred.

Hel no! Attorney fires on gun-weilding 18 y/o would be robber and, after robber flees, shoots him twice again? Lunatics with guns. Scary. This guy didn't even read the article. The guy fired on the perp before he fled. Not only that, but the perp was armed. This is one of the most justified shootings I have ever heard about.

GoodEyeSniper
03-25-2010, 6:28 PM
the article mentioned that the kid who was shot to death while commiting armed robbery had a family that couldnt sue because of SC casle doctrine. would the same be true in california? I would hate to see someone succesfully defend their life and then get sued for it.

We actually have a forum member here who was involved in a self defense shooting, that was pretty cut and dry. The perp barely survived, was convicted to some large amount of years, yet able to file a civil suit against our CG member all the same... I believe they actually settled out of court for $5,000 based on his employer's lawyer giving whatever reason. :(

Thrasher416
03-25-2010, 9:37 PM

LMAO! :rofl2:

blacksheep
03-26-2010, 12:34 PM

OMG ! I read that article and now I need to buy another gun or two.:43:

groats
03-26-2010, 12:43 PM
Ms. Rand is, I am sure, a perfectly sane, rational individual with good intentions.

It's only her statements that make her look like a raving idiot.
Let's hope she gets lots of free air time to make those statements.

ocspeedracer
03-26-2010, 12:52 PM

this is a joke right? tell me this is a joke

Brianguy
03-26-2010, 4:24 PM
this is a joke right? tell me this is a joke
No joke. You better start showing compassion to murderers!:chris: