PDA

View Full Version : Detachable carry handles

chavez27
03-23-2010, 10:38 PM
Im looking for a detachable carry handle for my 20" flat top. Im looking on gunbroker and I see some that are 30-50 bucks and then some that are well over 100 bucks. whats the deal here? what should i look for? what should i stay away from? Or are they pretty much all the same. I dont want to buy garbage either. Any advice/help?

supermario
03-24-2010, 12:16 AM
If it cost less than $90 i wouldnt buy it. I would prefer LMT, COLT or even a stag or dpms carry handle. I wouldnt buy utg or some no name brand.

pennys dad
03-24-2010, 6:03 AM
+1 on supermario's point he hit my sentiment right on the nose

shark92651
03-24-2010, 6:31 AM
Be wary of claims that a $40-$50 carry handle is CMT or Stag. I have seen some vendors making this claim that was later debunked by my Stag rep.

TMC
03-24-2010, 6:50 AM
Why are the less expensive one bad? What makes a big name one better?

technique
03-24-2010, 7:01 AM
Why are the less expensive one bad? What makes a big name one better?

Soft pot metal airsoft VS. Real forged, CNC'ed

chavez27
03-24-2010, 7:05 AM
is there any way to tell just by looking at the thing in a picture or in person? is there any markings to look for?

siliconphreak
03-24-2010, 7:27 AM
Look for a forge mark. Every forge has a marking indicating who made it. Most commonly seen is a raised key hole that is about 3/16" square. From what I can recall that denotes it was made by CMT. Others will probably chime in to state the same or correct me if I am wrong.

CHS
03-24-2010, 7:38 AM
is there any way to tell just by looking at the thing in a picture or in person? is there any markings to look for?

You can usually tell up close, but it will be hard to tell in pictures. You'll see casting lines, irregular surfaces, bad finish, sometimes painted instead of anodized, etc.

Like supermario said, if it costs less than $90, be wary. If it's in the $30-$50 range, it's definitely low-end garbage made for airsoft.

bombadillo
03-24-2010, 7:57 AM
I like the RRA forged carry handles quite a bit and stick with those honestly because they seem to be very repeatable and they are easily seen with the RRA laser etched logo on there.

http://www.rockriverarms.com/images/products/chandls.gif

I also prefer to buy a "take-off" of a new gun like a Colt upper or a known upper that somebody doesn't want or need the carry handle to.

BNuge
03-24-2010, 8:07 AM
If I was you I'd use the WTB forum and say you want a forged carry handle. These days the big trend is for flip up sights and/or red dots so if someones rifle came with one they are probably more than willing to part with it for a decent price. I picked mine up for forty from a calgunner and it is quality.

yoda888
03-24-2010, 9:39 AM
Wow, you guys are saying my Bushmaster carry handle is worth north of $90? How can I tell if it's forged or not? (sorry not meant to threadjack, but learning more about these handles)

BNuge
03-24-2010, 10:16 AM
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=153802&highlight=forge+marks

That is a link to an old discussion about carry handles which includes a list of forge marks and who makes them. You may be able to find a list of which company uses which forges but each one tends to use multiple forges also.

supermario
03-24-2010, 10:54 AM
If I was you I'd use the WTB forum and say you want a forged carry handle. These days the big trend is for flip up sights and/or red dots so if someones rifle came with one they are probably more than willing to part with it for a decent price. I picked mine up for forty from a calgunner and it is quality.

+1, I bought a used Colt Carry handle for about $80 on here. I once bought a cheap carry handle at the gunshow and i noticed the rear aperture was crooked! So i took it back and traded for a dpms carry handle that cost more, but if you hold a cheap carry handle and a quality carry handle in your hands, you will notice the difference.

Also RRA makes pretty nice Carry handles, i got the tactical carry handle that(retails $175) and i bought it off a calgunner for $80 or $90 i think. Good deals on here, everybody wants the BUIS or red dot sights. Im old school and like irons.

hnoppenberger
03-24-2010, 11:22 AM
just order it off rifle gear they are cheap enough and have legit stuff.

BNuge
03-24-2010, 12:58 PM
I once bought a cheap carry handle at the gunshow and i noticed the rear aperture was crooked!

^^I noticed mine was slightly crooked and wondered about that. Then I started looking at the two rentals at my place and anybody else's and noticed they all go slightly to the left, I think its pretty standard so I don't worry about it.

jcaoloveshine
03-24-2010, 2:49 PM
I run a Colt carry handle on my A3 flattop, works great never ran into a single issue

CrazyJeep
03-24-2010, 3:29 PM
I once bought a cheap carry handle at the gunshow and i noticed the rear aperture was crooked!

^^I noticed mine was slightly crooked and wondered about that. Then I started looking at the two rentals at my place and anybody else's and noticed they all go slightly to the left, I think its pretty standard so I don't worry about it.

You should see some of the rear sight bases on brand new Colts that people on ARF.com have taken pictures of. I've seen some pretty bad ones. My carry handle that I bought directly from LMT isn't crooked at all.

Cire 5th
03-24-2010, 5:16 PM
Anyone know the finish of the Colt Detachable carry handle?

Im looking to get one but I want to know if it has a matte type finish so it can match the upper.

Thanks in advance.

cj cake
03-24-2010, 8:42 PM
My Colt carry handle is a matte or flat finish. Not too flat and not rough or grainy. Pretty smooth and not real black, a real dark grey.

steven_m64
03-24-2010, 11:45 PM
a carry handle is a rather simple object so it does not need to be that expensive, i bought a cheaper carry handle from UTG its of decent quality and holds tight and works well.
it may be cheap but its not some NcStar crap.

Cire 5th
03-25-2010, 6:27 AM
My Colt carry handle is a matte or flat finish. Not too flat and not rough or grainy. Pretty smooth and not real black, a real dark grey.

Thanks. I just want to make sure its not the glossy type.

Dragunov
03-25-2010, 6:35 AM
I bought one for $45 made (CAA, I think). Looks fine on the rifle, Sight aperature is strait, It is stable, even when it gets knocked around. Hasn't chipped or cracked. I don't see any problem with mine.

Cire 5th
03-25-2010, 6:53 AM
Do you need to look for a specific type of carry handle if you got a taller F marked front sight? Like the BCM carry handle description.

Anyone know where I can get a BCM. Right now its a Colt carry handle or BCM. I like BCM because I think I have that Taller F marked front sight they describe: http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/AR-15-Carry-Handle-BCM-p/bcm%20carry%20handle%20ar-15.htm

Flux Capacitor
03-25-2010, 7:09 AM
a carry handle is a rather simple object so it does not need to be that expensive, i bought a cheaper carry handle from UTG its of decent quality and holds tight and works well.
it may be cheap but its not some NcStar crap.

Thats not far from NCstar stuff IMO

johnrunner89
03-25-2010, 9:59 AM
I use a Stag carry handle (the one that came with the Model 1 upper) and it works great.