PDA

View Full Version : Tell me what you think of this new Hunting Site for cali

shooter74
03-23-2010, 8:20 PM
I am opening a new site for hunters , no intent on competing with cal guns in any way. I would like feed back as I am open to making the site the best in its class . This is a work in progress. Please feel free to make suggestions.

Thanks shooter74

www.youroutdoorlife.com

shooter74
03-24-2010, 10:45 AM
Thanks for all that took a look

tamalpias
03-24-2010, 4:33 PM
I would like to see a forum with less "sub-forums" I don't know why all these forums have 1 common agenda and that is the desire to make so many sub-forums that if you look some seldom ever get any posts.

shooter74
03-25-2010, 12:30 AM
Ill keep an eye on the subs , take out the ones no one uses. If you don't have them allot of things get jumbled up and missed by other readers..

Thanks JAy

I would like to see a forum with less "sub-forums" I don't know why all these forums have 1 common agenda and that is the desire to make so many sub-forums that if you look some seldom ever get any posts.

shooter74
03-26-2010, 12:39 AM
BUMP

johnrunner89
03-26-2010, 12:44 AM
maybe add a section for varmint hunting too.

shooter74
03-26-2010, 12:53 AM
maybe add a section for varmint hunting too.

ok i will

Thanks Jay

napahunter
03-26-2010, 7:59 AM
Nice site just to much sub forms..Keep it simple. Very confusing. I'll keep checking back, look like it has great potential!

shooter74
03-26-2010, 8:06 AM
Nice site just to much sub forms..Keep it simple. Very confusing. I'll keep checking back, look like it has great potential!

I will weed out the subs that don't get the hits . People want subs so they can find certain info faster .

It's still new only up 10 days. Please pass along the sight to out door friends you may have .

I am always looking to make it better

Thanks
JAy

sargenv
03-26-2010, 8:51 AM
Ok, I tried 5 times to register, and I keep getting the message, "Invalid Referrer Specified" even though I enter the characters as I see them. I tried doing it case sensitive as well as non-case sensitive and I can't get the damn thing to take no matter what I do.

Making it easier to register might be a better way to get more ppl there. I dunno what I'm doing wrong..

theseacow
03-26-2010, 8:52 AM
The thing that keeps me looking at the calguns hunting forum is the fact that there aren't any other hunting sub-forums here. I can click on the hunting forum and see a bunch of different hunting topics and everyone in one place. Because of this, it appears to be very active, and therefore results in me coming back to quickly see what is new without having to wade through different places. Too many clicks and not enough info on the page makes me disinterested quick. IMO, the CPC forum probably has the most amount of sub-forums that I still find tolerable. Any more than that, and I don't want to see it. Also, I have a shortcut directly to the pig hunting sub forum on JHO. JHO has so many subs that its overwhelming and I only think about browsing them maybe once a year. Your site is highly organized yes, but with all of the other forums you will have to compete with, it has the appearance of being totally empty and inactive. This alone will keep people away from it. My advice is to ditch all those subs and replace them with simple stickied posts when they come alive (hunting pics, public land info, recipes, etc...).

anyhow, goodluck.

shooter74
03-26-2010, 9:09 AM
Please try again I will look into the problem

Ok, I tried 5 times to register, and I keep getting the message, "Invalid Referrer Specified" even though I enter the characters as I see them. I tried doing it case sensitive as well as non-case sensitive and I can't get the damn thing to take no matter what I do.

Making it easier to register might be a better way to get more ppl there. I dunno what I'm doing wrong..

shooter74
03-26-2010, 9:17 AM
Thanks its only been up for 10 days , We will add more content . if you like what you see pass it .

The subs that don't get a lot of play i will pull off

Thanks JAy

The thing that keeps me looking at the calguns hunting forum is the fact that there aren't any other hunting sub-forums here. I can click on the hunting forum and see a bunch of different hunting topics and everyone in one place. Because of this, it appears to be very active, and therefore results in me coming back to quickly see what is new without having to wade through different places. Too many clicks and not enough info on the page makes me disinterested quick. IMO, the CPC forum probably has the most amount of sub-forums that I still find tolerable. Any more than that, and I don't want to see it. Also, I have a shortcut directly to the pig hunting sub forum on JHO. JHO has so many subs that its overwhelming and I only think about browsing them maybe once a year. Your site is highly organized yes, but with all of the other forums you will have to compete with, it has the appearance of being totally empty and inactive. This alone will keep people away from it. My advice is to ditch all those subs and replace them with simple stickied posts when they come alive (hunting pics, public land info, recipes, etc...).

anyhow, goodluck.

Call_me_Tom
03-26-2010, 9:19 AM
I prefer the vBulletin format.

shooter74
03-26-2010, 10:30 AM
It is vbulletin, the new 4.0 version or did you mean you like vbulletin ?

I prefer the vBulletin format.

Bearclaw
03-26-2010, 10:35 AM
The thing that keeps me looking at the calguns hunting forum is the fact that there aren't any other hunting sub-forums here. I can click on the hunting forum and see a bunch of different hunting topics and everyone in one place. Because of this, it appears to be very active, and therefore results in me coming back to quickly see what is new without having to wade through different places. Too many clicks and not enough info on the page makes me disinterested quick.........My advice is to ditch all those subs and replace them with simple stickied posts when they come alive (hunting pics, public land info, recipes, etc...).

anyhow, goodluck.

+1,000!
Well spoken seacow.

Call_me_Tom
03-26-2010, 12:52 PM
It is vbulletin, the new 4.0 version or did you mean you like vbulletin ?
I'm sorry, I meant I don't like the version of vBulletin that you use. I'm more familiar with the older versions such as that used by CGN or the way they have their version formatted. Not sure if that made any sense.

tamalpias
03-26-2010, 3:20 PM

anyhow, goodluck.

This is just exactly my point! I am not advocating pulling a subforum and not having a place for that topic to go to. But for example, all "for sale" should be just 1 subforum, all "hunting" should be just 1 subforum, all other "gun related" topics should be just 1 other subforum. There really is no need to have a bunch of subforums until there is so much activity that new threads are being buried into the next page.

jltapia
03-26-2010, 3:27 PM
I actually like having subforums. It makes it look more organized. But you need to make sure you cover all the different topics so that there's a place to post about any related topic. But if you want to make it simpler, just get rid of the subforums.

shooter74
03-26-2010, 5:50 PM
I actually like having subforums. It makes it look more organized. But you need to make sure you cover all the different topics so that there's a place to post about any related topic. But if you want to make it simpler, just get rid of the subforums.

I like keeping clean so you can go to the subforums and read waht you want of came to find. I will add subs If people pm me .
If the get no post then down the road I will pull them.

Thanks jay

Flyliner
03-27-2010, 12:57 PM
My 2 cents:
1. Get rid of the "Enter Here" page.
2. When I click on the "Hunting Discussion" forum it then goes to a list of all the forums that were on the page I just came from. Very confusing. Get rid of that, the "Hunting Discussion" should just be the title of that section that contains the species specific forums.
3. Get rid of the fishing forums, there are other forums that cover fishing far better. Focus on one subject. I like the camping section though, cause it relates to hunting.
4. Put the Photography section in the "Other outdoor activities" section.
5. Take the Marketplace out of the Firearms section and just have it be a Firearms section. Have the already existing Marketplace below be the marketplace for everything (sub-separate out fire arms, equipment, etc..)
6. Put Geocaching in the "Other Outdoor activities" section
7. Put the "Hunting General Discussion" at top before the species specific section.

shooter74
03-28-2010, 12:38 AM
Going to use the enter hear page for advertisement space in the future .

Going to keep the fishing .I have a hook up on some ESPN pro fishing friends, will incorporate them in fishing.

Photography is moved.

Going to keep the fire arms market place .can't sell guns with Xboxes and washers lol .
will work on the other stuff thanks for the info

Jay

My 2 cents:
1. Get rid of the "Enter Here" page.
2. When I click on the "Hunting Discussion" forum it then goes to a list of all the forums that were on the page I just came from. Very confusing. Get rid of that, the "Hunting Discussion" should just be the title of that section that contains the species specific forums.
3. Get rid of the fishing forums, there are other forums that cover fishing far better. Focus on one subject. I like the camping section though, cause it relates to hunting.
4. Put the Photography section in the "Other outdoor activities" section.
5. Take the Marketplace out of the Firearms section and just have it be a Firearms section. Have the already existing Marketplace below be the marketplace for everything (sub-separate out fire arms, equipment, etc..)
6. Put Geocaching in the "Other Outdoor activities" section
7. Put the "Hunting General Discussion" at top before the species specific section.

shooter74
03-28-2010, 6:21 PM
If we where going to give Prizes for people to register, what would you like to see .. Keep in mind they should be around $800 . Sorry not a big company with deep pockets. For the people that register before the incentive they will get 2 entries.

Thanks JAy

shooter74
03-29-2010, 1:33 PM
If we where going to give Prizes for people that register, what would you like to see .. Keep in mind they should be around $800 . Sorry not a big company with deep pockets. For the people that register before the incentive they will get 2 entries.

Thanks JAy

Flyliner
03-29-2010, 1:36 PM
If we where going to give Prizes for people that register, what would you like to see ..

Hunting related stuff...

Scopes, camo clothes, boots, range finder, ammo, etc....

big jon
03-29-2010, 1:42 PM
I am opening a new site for hunters , no intent on competing with cal guns in any way. I would like feed back as I am open to making the site the best in its class . This is a work in progress. Please feel free to make suggestions.

Thanks shooter74

www.youroutdoorlife.com

where are the horses?

shooter74
03-29-2010, 1:48 PM
where are the horses?

can put that on , what would you like to see on it ? places to ride ?

big jon
03-29-2010, 1:53 PM
can put that on , what would you like to see on it ? places to ride ?

yea. i love to visit trails everywhere...

shooter74
03-29-2010, 2:01 PM
yea. i love to visit trails everywhere...

I put it on when I get home . If I put it on please register and start a thread .
Thanks Jay

big jon
03-29-2010, 2:11 PM
I put it on when I get home . If I put it on please register and start a thread .
Thanks Jay

you got it.

shooter74
03-30-2010, 9:55 PM
you got it.

Thanks BIG JON good pics :)